CBS off-season grades. (1 Viewer)

The point of the article, that I wanted to point out was the concern we all had for our HC and OC and that's their ability to make in game adjustments and though we are having a pretty good offseason personnel wise there are still improvements that need to be made in regard to coaching.

I really don't care what they say. In game coaching only works if the players do as they're coached. They didn't. In game decisions are sometimes gambles like Ambush. You're a master if it works and a heal if it doesn't.

Furthermore, last season was a mess from a number of standpoints. Their take is based on some pretty flawed assumptions about players and their ability to do what's being asked.

There's a reason some guys are undrafted.

I really don't care what they say. In game coaching only works if the players do as they're coached. They didn't. In game decisions are sometimes gambles like Ambush. You're a master if it works and a heal if it doesn't.

Furthermore, last season was a mess from a number of standpoints. Their take is based on some pretty flawed assumptions about players and their ability to do what's being asked.

There's a reason some guys are undrafted.
So you did not question why the offense looked stale outside of the first quarter scripted plays last season?

The bigger question and cause for concern centers on their coaching staff. Dennis Allen made poor in-game decisions on fourth down and in scoring position that didn’t turn into points on the scoreboard. Pete Carmichael Jr.’s shortcomings as a play caller were highlighted far too often. The larger issue is that both coaches are going to have the same roles in 2023 that they struggled to hold down in 2022.
Carmichael may get better with increased experience. Saints mostly need to get out of cap hell, lose a couple of bad contracts and be smart in the draft. I see this season as a rebuild. Dont see us going into the season with these DT's.

So, who's lying? Signing Carr doesn't eliminate the elephant in the room.

We have the best QB in the NFC south and are picked to win the division by some. Why would we want to bust it all out now and start over?

The bigger question and cause for concern centers on their coaching staff. Dennis Allen made poor in-game decisions on fourth down and in scoring position that didn’t turn into points on the scoreboard. Pete Carmichael Jr.’s shortcomings as a play caller were highlighted far too often. The larger issue is that both coaches are going to have the same roles in 2023 that they struggled to hold down in 2022.
we have to stop shipping our draft picks to other teams so we can move up a spot up the draft. There is no one available to the saints even in a move up(top 10). We would have a number 10 in the first round if we hadnt moved up last year. CJ must have been destroying team chemistry to us to just give him to Philly last year(he was worth a second rounder to Philly this year). Our coaches arent so good that they can overcome our incompetence in the draft and keep moving our salary cap until we are continually in cap hell.

I welcome all criticism of DA and PC to gain facts to help me create my opinions. But I’ve yet to see one single credible example. Not a Single one. Dont misunderstand, I’m not saying they’re great and infallible, I’m just saying the claim lacks substance.

If someone claims that 4th down or redzone play calling led to a low redzone TD% etc etc, must use something else other than “hindsight” to substantiate their claim. As it stands with me, DA and PC are highly qualified for the job, until they prove otherwise. I tend to believe that people get better over time by gaining experience. They both have a ton of that.

Naw, I don't think you welcome it.....I think your delusional if you believe DA and PC are "highly qualified" for their jobs....they are hanging on by a thread. I've seen bad coaching staffs and bad decisions many times as a Saints fan, last season (particularly the last half) I saw a HC that was scared to take chances offensively. That apprehension led to bad decisions and a 4-9 record which is effectively when our season was over (in a division that was the weakest in the NFL). They were terrible offensively last year, there is no way to sugarcoat it....this coming year they are getting another chance (for some reason), the personnel dept has done their job well so far, the roster is stronger, there are no more excuses....
One of the many things I will be grateful to Sean Payton for was the way he came in and was having no part of a losing culture. No more personal recliners in the locker room. No more me first guys who cared more about individual success than actually winning. No more being okay with losing because we'll get em next year. That was one of the quickest 180s I have ever seen.

Totally agreed, the change was instantaneous, I'm hoping we see that again one day....

Naw, I don't think you welcome it.....I think your delusional if you believe DA and PC are "highly qualified" for their jobs....they are hanging on by a thread. I've seen bad coaching staffs and bad decisions many times as a Saints fan, last season (particularly the last half) I saw a HC that was scared to take chances offensively. That apprehension led to bad decisions and a 4-9 record which is effectively when our season was over (in a division that was the weakest in the NFL). They were terrible offensively last year, there is no way to sugarcoat it....this coming year they are getting another chance (for some reason), the personnel dept has done their job well so far, the roster is stronger, there are no more excuses....

Totally agreed, the change was instantaneous, I'm hoping we see that again one day....
See what I’m saying, absolutely NO substance, Saying you saw a scared coach doesn’t convince me that you knew how he felt. Using words like stink, sucks, terrible, only says that you can’t provide examples, even with the benefit of hindsight. Pc ran SPs successfully offense for years, now he just got terrible? You’ve probably never complained about him from 2006-2020, but since DB and SP and MT werent on the team, you blame people that don’t touch the ball. DA ran a successful D for SP for years where no one said a peep. And suddenly he’s also terrible? To be honest I think you’re mad at the team because they didn’t meet your expectations. I don’t mean you, personally I mean anyone that cannot provide substance to back up their claims. Trust me, I’ll hop on the HATE train immediately if they start losing and there’s clear evidence of who’s at fault. Im not trying to convince you they’re good, just that noone has proven why they are bad.

if exact examples can’t be provided, then judging them over time is fair. We watched SP for years and after that amount of time it was convincing to say, this guy can’t put a defense on the field to save his life. We didn’t make that claim after one year. So DA needs at least this year to show major progress

Last edited:
Exploding a team to build it back up always seems like a poor strategy to me. First of all, it's very discouraging for the players and thereby runs the risk of producing a losing culture. The perception of the culture spreads to the fan base. Then it spreads to the media and to the NFL world as a whole. How many times have we heard phrases like " Browns gonna Brown" (regardless of whether or not the Browns ever intentionally tanked-- it's about the league wide perception of their losing culture)? It has never made sense to me to concede defeat in the sports world beyond the level of the individual game when behind by an insurmountable margin late in the fourth quarter, for instance.

And then comes the seemingly interminable rebuilding process, which produces frustration for all concerned. How many years does that take? And then, the tanksters have a bad reputation that's hard to discard and may take years to get rid of even if the team has been good for a while.

"You play to win the game."
I’m one who wanted us to rebuild but those are all good points. I can see both sides of the argument for sure.

See what I’m saying, absolutely NO substance, Saying you saw a scared coach doesn’t convince me that you knew how he felt. Using words like stink, sucks, terrible, only says that you can’t provide examples, even with the benefit of hindsight. Pc ran SPs successfully offense for years, now he just got terrible? You’ve probably never complained about him from 2006-2020, but since DB and SP and MT werent on the team, you blame people that don’t touch the ball. DA ran a successful D for SP for years where no one said a peep. And suddenly he’s also terrible? To be honest I think you’re mad at the team because they didn’t meet your expectations. I don’t mean you, personally I mean anyone that cannot provide substance to back up their claims. Trust me, I’ll hop on the HATE train immediately if they start losing and there’s clear evidence of who’s at fault. Im not trying to convince you they’re good, just that noone has proven why they are bad.
DA’s record as a head coach isn’t an example of his (head) coaching prowess? Everyone else’s fault?

DA’s record as a head coach isn’t an example of his (head) coaching prowess? Everyone else’s fault?
Yea it does say something. But it’s not the make or break stat. He’s got too many legit excuses for last years record. SP failed with the same team the year before. What would anyone expect ?

Yea it does say something. But it’s not the make or break stat. He’s got too many legit excuses for last years record. SP failed with the same team the year before. What would anyone expect ?
After failing to get Watson last year, I knew w’d be staring at 7 wins again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom