CBS off-season grades. (1 Viewer)

Yea it does say something. But it’s not the make or break stat. He’s got too many legit excuses for last years record. SP failed with the same team the year before. What would anyone expect ?
Yea I don’t judge him too harshly for last season. I’m more speaking cumulatively.

Either way we will both be hoping he takes the next step as a HC.

Pin this to the top of the SR home page....."Teams that often tank and go into a rebuild rarely climb back out of it. The Jets, Browns, Lions, Jaguars, Texans, Bears, and Dolphins wasted years of their fans’ time promising that they just needed to bottom out and get another quarterback with the first or second overall pick before they’d turn it all around. In many cases they never improved..."

Great post. This is such a good point. Once a team is perceived to be losers then it permeates every level. Players don't want to get drafted by them, coaches don't want to coach there, and fans are mentally checked out by mid October. A losing culture is every bit as real as a winning culture. Teams just go through the motions because everyone knows they're in rebuild mode. It becomes, "Why bother? We're going to be terrible anyway."

One of the many things I will be grateful to Sean Payton for was the way he came in and was having no part of a losing culture. No more personal recliners in the locker room. No more me first guys who cared more about individual success than actually winning. No more being okay with losing because we'll get em next year. That was one of the quickest 180s I have ever seen.
Huge change in attitude. But picking up Brees and Reggie Bush in the same off season helped too.

Yea I don’t judge him too harshly for last season. I’m more speaking cumulatively.

Either way we will both be hoping he takes the next step as a HC.
Right, and to be clear, If someone was to ask me, what do I think so far? I’d say “it ain’t looking good, the dude straight up failed at Oak, and his first season as Saints HC, is a losing season. He’s trending losing-ness.
Only because in the NFL you get so many chances. He’s on strike two at least and some would say strike 4.

I get and understand the negativity. So Instead of blasting out a neg POV on this site. I chose to look at the situation under a microscope. And what I see, is that at a minimum we have an elite DC that can assemble a Super Bowl D. I don’t take this lightly because I don’t know about you, but I’ve longed for the days of the dome patrol. So that’s 50% of the puzzle. Now can he lead a team and construct an offense? It remains to be seen, but this off-season so far, the framework is looking good. I like that he’s trying to bring physicality to the offensive side of the ball, instead of dink and dunk finesse. I think he and PC given time will produce a winner. But time is a premium in the NFL and he’s at the plate with a full count. The strikes are his fails and the balls are the legit excuses.

Never forget Peter King had us 26th in his preseason power rankings the year we won the Super Bowl.

No one really knows anything right now beyond teams like KC. That’s what makes it fun. And we can always bring these back.

DA’s record as a head coach isn’t an example of his (head) coaching prowess? Everyone else’s fault?

Yup....I don't even know how to respond to Rex's illogical word salad.....good DC's don't necessarily make good HC's....it's an entirely different job....thus far DA has been an unmitigated failure as a HC, if you didn't see that last season then you have to be delusional.....also perhaps PC needed CSP more than the other way around, no? Not possible? right.....

And CSP didn't "fail" his last year here, he brought a team with a record number of injuries that started 4 different QB's during the same season to a 9-8 record and would have made the playoffs (again) had it not been for a Rams tank job....take that garbage somewhere else.....

We are rebuilding. Just like we have been since Loomis took over.

It's how all the good franchises do it. You don't have to 1-17 to do it.

Yup....I don't even know how to respond to Rex's illogical word salad.....good DC's don't necessarily make good HC's....it's an entirely different job....thus far DA has been an unmitigated failure as a HC, if you didn't see that last season then you have to be delusional.....also perhaps PC needed CSP more than the other way around, no? Not possible? right.....

And CSP didn't "fail" his last year here, he brought a team with a record number of injuries that started 4 different QB's during the same season to a 9-8 record and would have made the playoffs (again) had it not been for a Rams tank job....take that garbage somewhere else.....
Wow you make such clear obvious points. 9-8 w/ 4 QBs missed playoffs. 7-10 w/ 2 QBs. (should’ve been 8 wins if Ingram doesn't go out of bounds). missed The playoffs. LIGHTYEARS different! The best coach in Gods creation only had a slightly better failing record than the worse coach in nfl history. take that garbage somewhere else. It does show how important the QB position is, anyway.

Wow you make such clear obvious points. 9-8 w/ 4 QBs missed playoffs. 7-10 w/ 2 QBs. (should’ve been 8 wins if Ingram doesn't go out of bounds). missed The playoffs. LIGHTYEARS different! The best coach in Gods creation only had a slightly better failing record than the worse coach in nfl history. take that garbage somewhere else. It does show how important the QB position is, anyway.

You are absolutely clueless....want to know the real difference?

Divisional games, despite all the injuries under SP the Saints had a chance for the playoffs because they were 4-2 (including 2 wins over the Bucs).....DA Saints folded like cheap lawn chairs in the divisional games 2-4 (swept by the Bucs and Carolina).....

He's not the best coach in "god's creation" but he is by far the best coach the Saints have ever had, he changed the culture (and expectations)......DA is going to get another chance with what appears to be a very good roster, another season of missing the playoffs and he is out of excuses....if they do make the playoffs I will happily eat crow.....

Never forget Peter King had us 26th in his preseason power rankings the year we won the Super Bowl.

No one really knows anything right now beyond teams like KC. That’s what makes it fun. And we can always bring these back.

Peter King has always been a useless hack, for years the Arizona Cardinals were going to win the SB and Bruce Airians was some kind of genius.....right.....

I think Derek Carr is gonna be the difference in us winning those close games this year instead of losing then.
He's a QB who can work the way Carmichael prefers to work, giving the QB 3 play options and letting the QB make the right call at the line. We just didn't have that with Winston or Dalton. Let's not discount the fact Carr can throw the long ball to Olive and Shaheed.
And don’t forget about the importance/potential impact of a Jamaal Williams.

At 6’0”, n about 230, da guy gives us that big power RB we’ve been missing for some time. In 2022, he had 262 carries for 1066 yds, but only fumbled 3 times, losing 2. And along with his 17 rushing TDs last year, he also accounted for 65 1st downs! We simply didn’t have dat kinda play at RB last year!

IMO, the addition of DC4 n Jamaal alone should make us better on O this season!

But We’ll see!

👍🏾

The most important statement in that article was the last one.

"the more pressing issue than how many free agents they sign or draft picks they nail is whether the coaches making decisions are the right people for those jobs. That’s the same now as it was a year ago."

Jamaal alone should make us better on O this season!
Depending on the plays called in the RZ, I think Jamaal would be the more beneficial of the 2. A lot of our losses last year came from not being able to convert in the Red Zone and settling for FGs and Jamaal scored 16 of his 17 TDs there. He is a RZ beast.

You are absolutely clueless....want to know the real difference?

Divisional games, despite all the injuries under SP the Saints had a chance for the playoffs because they were 4-2 (including 2 wins over the Bucs).....DA Saints folded like cheap lawn chairs in the divisional games 2-4 (swept by the Bucs and Carolina).....

He's not the best coach in "god's creation" but he is by far the best coach the Saints have ever had, he changed the culture (and expectations)......DA is going to get another chance with what appears to be a very good roster, another season of missing the playoffs and he is out of excuses....if they do make the playoffs I will happily eat crow.....

Totally agree with them on this one.
Carr's deal is the toughest to assess among the starting QBs. Is the goal simply to seize on a poor NFC South and guarantee wild-card contention? If so, it's a fine bet from New Orleans; Carr was gutsy and occasionally efficient enough to keep the Raiders in the mix for the better part of a decade. Like the Giants' Jones deal, it's essentially a two-year commitment. But it's still a big one, tentatively making Carr the eighth-highest paid QB and, more importantly, delaying the full-on rebuild the Saints have refused for years. If the goal is legit Super Bowl contention, then it's more likely a misfire, seeing as Carr isn't joining an all-star lineup and coaching staff, a la Matthew Stafford with the Rams in 2021.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom