CBS Sports Article on Our Cap Issues (1 Viewer)

I just don't see the point in all these articles on how Loomis can get the team under the cap until they know what the cap will be. The NFL and NFLPA will go into negotiations once they get they final figures from the jointly hired accounting firm that calculates the cap based on the revenue from all the network contracts, league revenue, and team (local) revenue. Once they get that number they will likely agree to "borrow" from future caps It is likely a simple matter of how much from how many years they need to borrow in order to get the 2021 cap up to equal to the 2020 cap figure. When that happens Loomis will have at least another $22M he can use to keep a few players and still have enough to draft and or sign a FA or 2.
I think the cap will be just a hair over $200 million. The league really doesn’t want it’s most prized franchises in cap hell. If everyone is in cap trouble then no one is and players will suffer the most.

This team will look totally different next year!

If you go read Underhill’s article which of course is much better than anything CBS puts out, it kinda shows that while the roster will be somewhat different. It won’t be that significant of a change from this year to next. Outside of the QB position as well which we will actually be in a position to go with what we have or make any signing we want pretty much at QB

I can see us for sure moving on from the following players, either due to cap or we cant afford them: (and other thoughts)

Brees :( - Retire, massive cap savings
Kwon - Gone thats an easy decision massive savings
Cooks - Gone another easy one
Janorius Jenkins - gone - but will have to add void years his dead money is 7 million, cap savings 14
Malcom Brown - gone
Rankins - 50/50 cut or restructure but I think gone
Anzalone - we all want him gone, peanuts in cap savings
Fat Peat - we stunk the house up on this dumb deal, (think Byrd) he is too hot to touch from what I am reading so he stays, better options open next year to move on from him, or possible trade
Murray - possibly gone due to cap savings, I really like him a fearless runner, but RB's are cheap these days
Morestead - cut, very sad to see him go but he is aging out
Easton - cut I think for sure due to a large cap savings, maybe take a team friendly deal
Prob - Cut 3 mil in savings
Josh Hill - Cut 2.5 millions in savings

With the above players gone I really think we can still be competitive!!

Restructure:
Armstead
Jordan - maybe, he is getting older why add more void years
Possibly Thomas

Extensions:
Latt
Ram

To Expensive:
Hendrickson - pay that man but not us

Draft:
CB or Tackle 1st round

We're going to look back at this moment and realize that the rumors of our demise were greatly exaggerated.
This all day. How many times have we seen Loomis do his "Loomising" when the numbers seemed to be impossible? I'm not saying we're not going to lose some players, we most definitely are. But I don't think the situation is as dire as others have reported. Time will tell.

After listening to Deuce break down how this stuff really works and assumptions get made, yesterday on radio, I don't feel the doom and gloom.

Saints aren't out the woods clean, but it definitely is not bad as advertised (cap situation).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom