CBSsports: Brees makes short jump to Brady, Peyton stature (1 Viewer)

SaintKenKen

Delusional Optimist
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12257281

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] Two years ago, it would have been blasphemous to even consider there was another NFL quarterback in the same class with New England's Tom Brady and Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]They were -- and are -- 1 and 1A, depending on your preference. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Now say hello to 1B. His name is Drew Brees, quarterback of the New Orleans Saints. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] "Yes, he's up there with them," Jacksonville Jaguars corner Rashean Mathis said. "He's proven it year in and year out. His numbers speak for themselves. You can't argue where he stands. He's definitely up there with those two." [/FONT]

SimpTown

Dan Mullen 2 Mr.Nutt 0
Reaction score
I think as of right now Peyton and Drew should be 1 and 1a and Brady should be 2.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

CHI-TOWNSAINT

More than 15K posts served!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Drew continues to play this way, at what point do people start to say Brees is #1 and Payton and Brady are 2a and 2b? Does he have to win a Superbowl? More than 1 Superbowl? never?

What do you guys think. His numbers since becoming a Saint are already the best in the league in that timeframe.

Saint Brees

The Seeker
Reaction score
I tell you right now look at the way Brees plays compared to Manning and Brady. Brady and Manning are nowhere close to Brees. The way Brees moves on the field is just phenomenal. The only reason the idiot media says Brady and Manning are 1 and 2 are because of the rings, but football is a team sport. Manning and Brady won titles because they were surrounded by talent on both sides of the ball. Since 2006 Brees has taken the team on his shoulders and carried them for 3 years, now it's time the team returns the favor and helps Brees out.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Brees is playing better then both of them right now and frankly, it's not that close.

Bodybag

I still hate the 49ers
Reaction score
We know Drew's not built like a prototypical QB guy, can it with the joke headlines already ;)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That Super Bowl argument is so old... I guess Dan Marino must royally suck, and Trent Dilfer must be in the 1C class.

Yeah that Dilfer reference is old too, but damm... rings shouldn't define a player. Jim Kelly is another one... I'd take him over Troy Aikman in a heartbeat, but since he won 3 rings he's in the HOF for "not screwing it up".

Ridiculous.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Brees, Manning, Brady, Warner, and Rivers are all brilliant, and they will all be the best from week to week. Roethlisberger doesn't have the supporting cast, but must be in the conversation. He is as clutch as any QB on the list.

strandedsaint

Pro-Bowler
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to see what Manning and Brady would do on the Sportscience show. Let's see if they are even close to being as accurate as drew!

Madmarsha

I default to sarcasm
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
1B? Could be worse, I guess, because I'm thankful it's not like Peyton and Brady are Thing 1 and Thing 2.

BayouVisions

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
The only thing seperating them is Superbowl victories or appearances for that matter. I think he is, by far, playing better that those two right now.

benjoefoe

PorkChop Sandwiches!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
WE Saints fans and a few others know that as of now Brees is playing at a level above both Manning and Brady but until he has a ring on his finger others will refuse to put him at there status no matter what numbers he puts up.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Roethlisberger doesn't have the supporting cast, but must be in the conversation. He is as clutch as any QB on the list.

He doesn't? One of the best WR duos in the league, a good pass catching TE, a great stable of runningbacks?

Yeah I know he gets hit a lot. That wouldn't happen so much if he didn't hold onto the ball for 30 minutes.

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Roethlisberger doesn't have the supporting cast, but must be in the conversation. He is as clutch as any QB on the list.

Roethlisberger has had one really good season...and it wasn't one of the years he won a Superbowl.

Roethlisberger doesn't throw often. The one year he did, the Steelers didn't win. His success has been a direct reflection of an outstanding run game and defense. Last year he had 17 TDs and 15 INTs. The first year he won the Super Bowl he only threw it 268 times!. And he followed that year up by tossing 18 TDs and 23 INTs. The only "elite" year as a passer he had involved a Wild Card round exit by the Steelers.

I'm not totally down on Roethlisberger. He's a good QB and clearly good enough to win a SB with. He is good in clutch situations and not a liability at all. But he's not anywhere in the discussion for "one of the best".

He's basically Donovan McNabb during the Eagles great run, but with a run game. And if McNabb had the same run game the Steelers have had, he probably would have had a Superbowl too.

I think it's interesting that the players dont hold the lack of a ring against Brees. As they apparently clearly understand, Superbowls are total team efforts (mixed in with a fair amount of luck), not individual honors.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread