Cd-rw (1 Viewer)

muzzy

Explosive
Reaction score
I'd appreciate it if someone would please enlighten me on this very basic tech topic:

How do CD-RW's compare to CD-R's? Do each hold about 80 minutes of music? Do CD-R's sound better than CD-RW's? Is there any limit as to how many times a CD-RW can be recorded over, and does sound quality decrease the more you record over it? Finally, is the fact that a CD-RW can be recorded over the only real difference between CD-R and CD-RW? Thanks.

Sound should be the same, some drives might have a harder time reading a cdrw but most modern ones should do it. Should get 1000 write cycles but scratches could shorten the life, write speeds will probably be a bit slower, can get 80 minute discs.

I've only used a couple cdrw discs since my first 1x burner, still working on a stack of couple hundred cdrs that were free after rebate a year or two ago.

I'd appreciate it if someone would please enlighten me on this very basic tech topic:

How do CD-RW's compare to CD-R's? Do each hold about 80 minutes of music? Do CD-R's sound better than CD-RW's? Is there
any limit as to how many times a CD-RW can be recorded over, and does sound quality decrease the more you record over it?
Finally, is the fact that a CD-RW can be recorded over the only real difference between CD-R and CD-RW? Thanks.

CD-RW's should hold the same amount of data as CD-R's. Music would sound no different on them, and the fact that they are rewritable is pretty much the only difference besides the price. You may find that burn speeds are slower with RWs, however.
They will eventually wear out or become scratched (essentially making them unusable), so yes - there is a limit, but I don't have any idea what it is.
I personally use CD-Rs for burning audio CD's. They are mucho cheap. Other rewritable formats such as external hard drives, portable usb storage devices, and mp3 players are much faster/better/cooler and give more bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Not all but alot of car CD players have some problems with cd-rw .Just stick with the good ole once write cd-r.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom