Celebrating 25 years of stealth! (1 Viewer)

staphory

Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
And it's not a photoshop!

Last edited:
Cool.

With the F-22, and soon, the JSF, coming on duty, will the Air Force be retiring the F-117 anytime soon?

Dang!I seen that on the news the other day,they said they were gonna be retired.
***?what were they,like a Billion dollars each?
If it still flys,*** would they junk it for?

Back in the 80's, I lived in North Hollywood, CA just a few miles from the "skunk works" at the Lockheed plant in Burbank. I remember the giant cargo planes coming in with parts for the planes & the huge walls they would put up to block the view of what they were unloading. People would actually sit on the roofs of apartment buildings on Friday nights to see the planes come in to Burbank Airport. I remember being completely astounded when I saw what the completed planes looked like. They are still awesome.

Jan

Dang!I seen that on the news the other day,they said they were gonna be retired.
***?what were they,like a Billion dollars each?
If it still flys,*** would they junk it for?
The 117 is nowhere near 1 billion each. There were 56 (or so) of them built so the cost to maintain them is getter to be more and more each year. Holloman will be getting the raptor (better all around) in the next several years. Of course they have to wait until Elmendorf and Hickam get theirs.

For those that are interested the History channel will air a show about them.
the text of an e-mail circulating throught the stealth community. Edited of course ;)

Next Tuesday, Nov 14 at 8 p.m. MST, The History Channel will air a program what was produced with the assistance of the Air Force and 49<SUP>th</SUP> Fighter Wing. Two separate production teams came to Holloman over the summer for the making of this episode of &#8220;Man, Moment, Machine&#8221;. Members of Maintenance Group provided invaluable support in setting up the shooting locations in the canyon area, particularly SMSgt Witkowski. Also, Maj. &#8220;Junk&#8221; Wilson and Capt. &#8220;Ghost&#8221; Butler from the Operations Group were instrumental as subject matter experts.

Umm, I can see them. :shrug:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom