Celebrating murderers, good idea, or nah? (1 Viewer)

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
Throughout history many people come to fame through their heinous actions such as killing a bunch of people.
Should this be celebrated? Personally, I'm against it.

I constantly advocate that news media should NEVER give the name or show photos of killers, especially those who commit mass murder crimes. It's foolish, dangerous, and completely irresponsible.

The killers should be forgotten 100% of the time while the victims should be remembered with honor.

Throughout history many people come to fame through their heinous actions such as killing a bunch of people.
Should this be celebrated? Personally, I'm against it.
So, anyone in any war, where by their actions killed anyone is automatically on your bad list? Revolutionary war. Civil war. WW2?

I have heard some people who are fans of Manson or the Unibomber as well as others.
Ted Kaczinksy actually had valid critiques of industrialized society. He was a very brilliant man. But he was also the Unabomber so...

Now that that little tidbit is out of the way, I'm starting to notice...something, going on with certain people. It's like the most thinly veiled attempt at a glaringly clear bad faith argument. Is this a thing going on right now in certain circles? Like how the Let's Go Brandon thing is apparantly a very good and hilarious, uhhh, joke? Or whatever it's supposed to be. It might just be me or just something on this site but this is like the third or fourth thread in the past month like this.

Well they are not killing anybody.

We can start another thread about being a fan of things that suck in general.
So what do we mean ‘killing’?
In Hiroshima/Nagasaki who is the killer? Truman? Oppenheimer? Pilot? Bomber? Hirohito?

What if you had a religious figure whose name was invoked in millions and millions and millions of killings?

So, anyone in any war, where by their actions killed anyone is automatically on your bad list? Revolutionary war. Civil war. WW2?
Pretty sure he's not talking about war.
But to paraphrase several veterans I've known: You don't know what's being in combat is like and you don't want to. It's not something you can ever really recover from, mentally.

So what do we mean ‘killing’?
In Hiroshima/Nagasaki who is the killer? Truman? Oppenheimer? Pilot? Bomber? Hirohito?

What if you had a religious figure whose name was invoked in millions and millions and millions of killings?
I'm guessing everybody. We're all in on the conspiracy. Yeah.

Ted Kaczinksy actually had valid critiques of industrialized society. He was a very brilliant man. But he was also the Unabomber so...

Most people that fall in the "fan clubs" of Kaczinksy, McVey, etc all agree that they make a very strong argument about whatever cause they are championing but their actions were unforgivable. Hitler thought that public transportation should be more efficient and run on a tight schedule. I can't think of many people that would disagree with that but I think that his actions is where he losses most of the crowd.

I have always wondered why the more murders someone attempts/commits drives them to more of a celebrity status in society. The hardwire in our brains is very confusing. Are we doing this to be aware of a predator or is it more celebratory and we all share a penchant for violence?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom