CEO Paul McIlhenny of Tabasco sauce company dies (1 Viewer)

Sad to hear. That guy created an iconic product indeed. I too prefer the Crystal.

Tabasco was first made in 1868. He did, however, preside over bringing the brand a much larger national and international attention.

They originally used cologne bottles, which accounts for Tabasco's unique bottle shape. Legend has it that the McIlhenny's were at least partially responsible for Louisiana's nutria population outbreak.

On a personal note, I interned for a marketing firm in New Orleans in the mid-90's and helped design the label for Tabasco's sliced jalapeno peppers.

I know more prefer Crystal and Louisiana but Tabasco is definitely a great worldwide known LA company and the McIlhenny family very good peeps.

I don't know about that, they all have there place. True, I prefer Crystal on food that is already at the table but I use Tabasco for things that call for the hot sauce as an ingredient while cooking. I am a hot sauce freak and this is the best way I have found to use them.

Mr. Paul complained to his wife that he wasn't feeling good, and needed to take an afternoon nap. 2 hours later, his wife went to check on him, and he was dead from a massive heart attack.

My mother's family has been a friend of the McIlhennys for well over 100 years. Edmund, who created Tabasco, needed a place to put his money, and he asked my great grandfather to run the bank. He told my great grandfather when he had enough money he could purchase the bank from him, and his son kept his word to my grandfather some 50 years later.

My company prints the labels that you see on Tabasco products. They genuinely work hard to keep as much business local as possible. It's an honor when a customer asks me what do we print, and I can simply point to an iconic product such as Tabasco.

RIP Mr. Paul.

They genuinely work hard to keep as much business local as possible.

Absolutely. It is much to their credit that they have kept things as local as they have. I hope their next generation of leadership sees things the same way.

2831-c.jpg

110912_bruff_tobasco730_8143_pbc.jpg

First-year student Robert Thomas, right, joins other Tulane students in sending good vibes and holiday cheer to service men and women overseas via a banner produced by the McIlhenny Co., the makers of Tabasco brand sauce. The event, which took place Thursday (Nov. 8) at Bruff Commons on the uptown campus at lunchtime, also included a special menu that had Tabasco sauce as a featured ingredient.

Absolutely. It is much to their credit that they have kept things as local as they have. I hope their next generation of leadership sees things the same way.

Tony Simmons is the "new" president of Mcilhenny. He has been in the position for around a year now, while Mr. Paul was head of the parent company. His father was president before Mr. Paul.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom