CFP TOP 25 (1 Viewer)

The only real changes was LSU and USC moving up a spot. I'm beginning to believe the theory about the CFP really wanting a PAC 1 team in the playoffs. If USC wins out, they will leap frog LSU and Tenn, even if LSU and Tenn win out.

The only real changes was LSU and USC moving up a spot. I'm beginning to believe the theory about the CFP really wanting a PAC 1 team in the playoffs. If USC wins out, they will leap frog LSU and Tenn, even if LSU and Tenn win out.
USC has to get past an above average UCLA and then likely a decent Oregon or Utah squad in the Pac1 CG(the get a cupcake game against ND too).

If they are contender quality neither of those games should be too difficult... but strange things happen.

RKTEAMRECTREND
1GeorgiaGeorgia10-0-
2Ohio StateOhio State10-0-
3MichiganMichigan10-0-
4TCUTCU10-0-
5TennesseeTennessee9-1-
6LSULSU8-21
7USCUSC9-11
8AlabamaAlabama8-21
9ClemsonClemson9-11
10UtahUtah8-23
11Penn StatePenn State8-23
12OregonOregon8-26
13North CarolinaNorth Carolina9-12

So who gets the 4th spot OSU/Mich looser / Tenn / Clemson / Bama
yea Clemson wins AACCG they might sneak above Tenn / OSUMich looser

dont see LSU beating Georgia pretty certain Georgia will repeat unless OSU/Mich winner are really as good as their records....
Pretty much agree except, IF USC runs the table and wins the PAC 12, they get in. The CFP really wants a PAC 12 team in the playoffs.

Pretty much agree except, IF USC runs the table and wins the PAC 12, they get in. The CFP really wants a PAC 12 team in the playoffs.
fork the PAC-12

Still missing out on the playoffs may be the best thing (assuming the only other game we potentially lose is the SECC). LSU appears to be well ahead of any realistic expectations which is going to be (and already has been) very good for recruiting. Being able to end the season with a statement strong win could do more for recruiting than losing in the playoffs

What in tarnation are people smoking when these rankings come out?

Top 15 ranking or not, none of Oregon, Utah, or UCLA are particularly good teams.(nor UW or OSU). None of them are particularly bad... I just chartarize them as ranging from above average to decent in the P5 context.

Notre Dame certainly isint particularly good either, they are hot though.

If you made a 8 team division out of the 5 teams listed above + Ole Miss, MooU, and... Auburn, I would expect Ole Miss to be at the top, MooU no worse than 4th, and Auburn not to be at the bottom of the standings.

Top 15 ranking or not, none of Oregon, Utah, or UCLA are particularly good teams.(nor UW or OSU). None of them are particularly bad... I just chartarize them as ranging from above average to decent in the P5 context.

Notre Dame certainly isint particularly good either, they are hot though.

If you made a 8 team division out of the 5 teams listed above + Ole Miss, MooU, and... Auburn, I would expect Ole Miss to be at the top, MooU no worse than 4th, and Auburn not to be at the bottom of the standings.
There is a reason why all the pundits continually point to a PAC 12 team's out of conference schedule when gauging how good they are.

A USC/Michigan National Championship would be nice with the Trojans entering the Big 10 in two years.

7D78DDAE-0433-4FD9-AB9C-D007790F1C35.jpeg

A USC/Michigan National Championship would be nice with the Trojans entering the Big 10 in two years.

7D78DDAE-0433-4FD9-AB9C-D007790F1C35.jpeg
So the conference championship games for the contenders are:

SEC: #1Georgia vs #11LSU - LSU is way ahead of where they were expected to be and have a punchers chance... but UGA is on another level. I fully expect them to be SEC and then National Champions. Even in the very unlikely event that LSU pulls out the SEC Title, I do not see UGA falling past #4, and likely still winning the National Championship.

Big10: #2Michigan vs Purdue - This is the biggest mismatch by far. Purdue has played one other team currently ranked (Penn St). They are 8-4 overall, and should get rolled in this one. I would say Michigan would still be in with a loss in this game, but losing to Purdue would be a bad loss.

Big12: #3TCU vs #13 Kansas State - Neither of these teams feels like championship contenders, but TCU is undefeated in a "P5" conference so if they win, they deserve a shot. Kansas State is an average team, but then again they lost by 10 to TCU earlier in the year, and it took 21 unanswered 2nd half points by the Horned Frogs to pull it out. So there could be an upset and if there is TCU will fall out of the playoff.

Pac12: #4USC vs #12Utah - Again, despite being ranked #12, Utah is just not a great team. Like many of the over-ranked teams in the Pac12 they are average at best. Oregon, who is above average, feels like they would have been a better match for USC, and the Trojans should win this one. Of course their one loss this season did come against Utah so it is not impossible. Again, If Utah manages to win this, USC will be on the outside of the playoff.

Chances are the playoff 4 all win their conference championships and we get UGA vs USC and UM vs TCU which should both be mismatches and in all probability lead to a UGA vs UM title game.

There is a scenario though where both TCU and USC lose their title games giving us a more competitive playoff semi-final of UGA vs Bama and UM vs tOSU.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom