Challenging The Narrative That Coaches Leave After 10 Years (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
There is a narrative on this forum that after so many years of coaching with one team, NFL head coaches often leave to coach elsewhere. I discussed this on the thread dealing with how people feel about Sean Payton, but because the narrative seems so pervasive, I thought it deserved a separate thread.

It is actually uncommon for an NFL head coach to leave an NFL team he has coached for an extended period of time if (a) he wants to continue coaching and (b) his team still wants him to be its head coach.

Sean Payton resigned after coaching the Saints for 15 years--the 2012 season was a forced "sabbatical" year.

Bill Belichick has coached New England for 23 years, Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh for 16 years, John Harbaugh Baltimore for 15 years.

Andy Reid (14 years) left Philadelphia because his contract was not renewed. Tom Coughlin (8 years) left Jacksonville because he was fired. Jeff Fisher (16 years) left Houston/Tennessee because the team bought out the last year of his contract. Dan Reeves left both Denver (12 years) and the Giants because he was fired. Denny Green (11 years) left Minnesota because of friction with ownership. Dick Vermeil left Philadelphia and Jim Mora left New Orleans because they were truly burned out.

Payton's mentor Bill Parcells did jump from job to job--the Giants, New England, the Jets, and Dallas. But in skill set, Parcells seemed more a builder than a sustainer, and with his prickly personality, he left the Giants in part because of disagreements with general manager George Young and left New England because his relationship with owner Bob Kraft had soured.

If we go back further in NFL history, Don Shula coached the Colts for eight years before going to Miami. But Shula then coached Miami for 26 years, and he left Baltimore, certainly in part, because of his worsening relationship with its very demanding owner, Carroll Rosenbloom.

Other than Payton, I can think of only two other exceptions to what I believe is the common practice. Mike Holmgren left Green Bay after 7 years for Seattle. At Seattle, he was also the executive vice-president and general manager with total control of football operations and received a contract that made him the highest paid head coach in the NFL. A secondary factor perhaps was that Holmgren was a West Coast guy and today lives in Seattle.

Perhaps the departure closest to Payton's was Vince Lombardi leaving Green Bay for Washington. Lombardi stepped down as Green Bay's head coach after 9 years of coaching, though he remained the team's general manager. A year later, he accepted the job of head coach with Washington with a huge contract and total control. Tragically, as we know, Lombardi coached only one year in Washington because of cancer claiming his life. When Lombardi stepped down as head coach, there was certainly physical fatigue, but also the Packers were becoming an old team and were headed for decline. And again, as we know, Green Bay promoted defensive coordinator Phil Bengtson to replace Lombardi, and Bengtson failed badly as a head coach.

Usually when head coaches leave a team after so many years, the reason is that the organization wants them gone. What makes Payton's departure especially unusual is that he is leaving an organization where he had an exceptionally close relationship with the owner and general manager, and is going to an organization where ownership and management will surely have very high expectations. I have argued elsewhere that Payton principally left because he believed the team's arrow was pointed downward and did not want to endure a rebuild or challenging transition period. But the point of this post is that it is unusual for a coach who has coached a team for a long time, who wants to keep coaching, and whose organization wants him to remain as coach, to leave for another team.

Last edited:
Coaches leave, retire or get fired after 10 years often enough. Stuff happens. Payton coached long enough yet felt like he was ready for a change of scenery after a year off. I ain't mad at him. People change jobs all the time. At least we got something out of it. I've moved on. I'd like to move on from Allen also, but it is what it is and hope he proves the doubters wrong in the 2023 season. We'll see.

I just think it’s rare that a coach stay that long at one place. Even the list shows it. Only 5 or so championship coaches. Then you have to go back to Landry to get a coach almost equal that length.

Dave, I was not trying to pass any moral judgment on Payton leaving. I was trying to show that long-time head coaches who still have a strong relationship with their team rarely leave for another team. Payton did not leave because the team wanted him gone, or because he was feuding with the general manager or owner, or because he wanted more control over football operations (in Denver, he will have less), or because he wanted more money (he was being well paid by the Saints, and had money been the issue, I suspect the Saints would have rewritten his contract).

Dave, I was not trying to pass any moral judgment on Payton leaving. I was trying to show that long-time head coaches who still have a strong relationship with their team rarely leave for another team. Payton did not leave because the team wanted him gone, or because he was feuding with the general manager or owner, or because he wanted more control over football operations (in Denver, he will have less), or because he wanted more money (he was being well paid by the Saints, and had money been the issue, I suspect the Saints would have rewritten his contract).
Then take him at his word. He was burned out and needed to take a break. In the NFL, your job doesn't wait for you so he had to go coach somewhere else.

I do not question that 2021 was a tough year for Payton, and there was some physical and mental fatigue. But reportedly Gayle Benson was willing to work with him to give him time to rest. And as someone who was in a stressful profession for decades, I have never heard of anyone who truly left a job because of burnout and who was plotting his return to the same profession the moment he left.

But again, I wanted to look at the modern NFL era and see how common was a long-time head coach leaving a team that wanted him to stay and shortly thereafter joining another team.

I find it kind of interesting that both Jim Mora and Payton became burned out with the Saints and quit, both to take a TV job for a year and then return to coaching the next year. Looking back, I wonder if there were any years remaining on Mora's contract.

I think if he had said all he wanted was a year off, his job with the saints would have been there waiting on him.
Perhaps he didn't know at the time that all he wanted was one year off. Perhaps human beings are more complicated and don't always have in-depth plans at the ready.

I find it kind of interesting that both Jim Mora and Payton became burned out with the Saints and quit, both to take a TV job for a year and then return to coaching the next year. Looking back, I wonder if there were any years remaining on Mora's contract.
Totally different circumstances. Mora quit during the middle of the season against the Panthers.

Then take him at his word. He was burned out and needed to take a break. In the NFL, your job doesn't wait for you so he had to go coach somewhere else.

Why would he be burned out after sixteen seasons, in which his final season started with making emergency accommodations, because of a hurricane, that required relocating the team for several weeks and playing a "home" game in Jacksonville; dealing with Covid and losing a significant number of team personnel for at least two games, and resulted in the league taking what was easily perceived to be a different approach to the Miami game than it had with other Covid affected games; and over the full 17 game schedule, achieving what many called his best season of coaching as injuries decimated the team, only to come up a game short of taking a MASH unit into the playoffs?

Jim Mora was a head coach who was truly burned out. He never should have returned to coach in 1996 when he quit midseason. I challenge anyone to listen to the time Mora called in the TV show with Buford Jordan and started a shouting match with Jordan, and tell me there was an emotionally healthy head coach who belonged on the sideline. He returned to coaching in 1998.

I do not know Mora's contract status when he quit--whether he was in his final year, or had one or more years left. I do know there was no talk of Mora being under contract when he was hired by Indianapolis.

Regarding the reasons Payton resigned, this has been debated endlessly on this forum, I was trying to quickly respond to a post raising the issue, and we will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Perhaps he didn't know at the time that all he wanted was one year off. Perhaps human beings are more complicated and don't always have in-depth plans at the ready.
Or maybe he saw that it was going to be a rough few years, and decided he'd rather start over somewhere else.

Everyone giving him the benefit of the doubt is assuming just as much as the people crapping on him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom