Challenging The Narrative That Coaches Leave After 10 Years (1 Viewer)

I think the simple answer is...People are different.

Who knows what his motivating factors were?
Maybe he couldn't sleep anymore.
Maybe his wife was the determining factor.
Maybe life without Brees wasn't something he wanted to deal with, etc.

Only if you ignore his actions.

Not if you think burnout was tied to coaching the Saints, and a desire for change and to pursue other challenges.

I've never understood why so many people look at this in such a binary way; either he had to be burned out from NFL coaching, entirely, in any situation, or he lied.

People get tired of being in the same job and make moves all the time. Workplace burnout isn't at all uncommon.

I believe Payton has a massive ego and it needed stroking.

I also believe after he failed to draft Mahomes (Saints were less than 2 minutes away when Reid traded ahead of us) he felt his time in NOLA was all but done. Brees was showing signs of regression at that time.

He wanted Brady when he left NE, but Brees decided to stay and Brady signed in TB. We ended up with a room of journeyman and project QB’s behind Brees who could no longer throw much beyond 20 yards downfield. When Brees retired, Payton wanted out.

The handwriting was on the wall for 3-4 years. He wasn’t in it for a total overhaul.

I do not question that 2021 was a tough year for Payton, and there was some physical and mental fatigue. But reportedly Gayle Benson was willing to work with him to give him time to rest. And as someone who was in a stressful profession for decades, I have never heard of anyone who truly left a job because of burnout and who was plotting his return to the same profession the moment he left.

But again, I wanted to look at the modern NFL era and see how common was a long-time head coach leaving a team that wanted him to stay and shortly thereafter joining another team.
It's not common, but then Payton's situation isn't common either. Something that hasn't been addressed much is that I have no doubt Payton respects Allen too much to come back and push his friend out.

I do suspect had Allen gotten fired during the season, or right at the end, then maybe Payton returns.

Or maybe he saw that it was going to be a rough few years, and decided he'd rather start over somewhere else.

Everyone giving him the benefit of the doubt is assuming just as much as the people crapping on him.
Sure, I mean, we can take his word for it, or not.

I think if he had said all he wanted was a year off, his job with the saints would have been there waiting on him.
Possibly, but I don't think he knew what things would look like a year later and thought it better to leave his options open.

And fwiw, taking a year off and returning really isn't fair to whoever coaches in the "off" year. That has to be part of the consideration. I think Payton had too much respect for Allen to put him in that position.

But did he say everything he would do?

He didn't say he would be looking for a new team in a year when he left.
Not sure how anybody heard or read his comments and didn't think there was a possibility he'd be back to coaching very soon.

"I don't like the word retirement..."

On the possibility of coaching again: "I don't think it's this year..."

"Honestly, as I sit here today, and this is OK, I don't know what's next," Payton told reporters during a Tuesday news conference. "Look, I read the reports and I've not spoken to anyone from a media outlet relative to doing television or radio, maybe that opportunity arises but every time I read something that says like, 'He's in line for this job,' I'll call my agent, Don [Yee], and I'll say, 'Don, did you hear something? 'Cause I've not heard anything.' And that's OK. I think I'd like to do that, I think I'd be pretty good at it. So, steppin' outside like in the cold weather today and be a little uncomfortable professionally or from a career standpoint is OK. I don't like the word 'retirement,' Mr. B [late owner Tom Benson] didn't like it either, he always said 'retirement's overrated.' We get sold this image of retirement by these investment groups on TV and golf courses and, so, yeah, I still have a vision for doing things in football and, I'll be honest with ya, that might be coaching again at some point. I don't think it's this year, I think maybe in the future but that's not where my heart is right now. It's not at all."

Not sure how anybody heard or read his comments and didn't think there was a possibility he'd be back to coaching very soon.

"I don't like the word retirement..."

On the possibility of coaching again: "I don't think it's this year..."

"Honestly, as I sit here today, and this is OK, I don't know what's next," Payton told reporters during a Tuesday news conference. "Look, I read the reports and I've not spoken to anyone from a media outlet relative to doing television or radio, maybe that opportunity arises but every time I read something that says like, 'He's in line for this job,' I'll call my agent, Don [Yee], and I'll say, 'Don, did you hear something? 'Cause I've not heard anything.' And that's OK. I think I'd like to do that, I think I'd be pretty good at it. So, steppin' outside like in the cold weather today and be a little uncomfortable professionally or from a career standpoint is OK. I don't like the word 'retirement,' Mr. B [late owner Tom Benson] didn't like it either, he always said 'retirement's overrated.' We get sold this image of retirement by these investment groups on TV and golf courses and, so, yeah, I still have a vision for doing things in football and, I'll be honest with ya, that might be coaching again at some point. I don't think it's this year, I think maybe in the future but that's not where my heart is right now. It's not at all."

Yeah, clearly, we all knew it was likely he planned to return to coaching. He never said he wouldn't. And certainly, that doesn't mean he wasn't burnt out. I'm just not understanding why that's problematic for some people, idk.

Possibly, but I don't think he knew what things would look like a year later and thought it better to leave his options open.

And fwiw, taking a year off and returning really isn't fair to whoever coaches in the "off" year. That has to be part of the consideration. I think Payton had too much respect for Allen to put him in that position.
My only point is that it just seems likely that he wanted out of New Orleans, and decided the best way to do that was to take a year off.

Many people predicted he would leave New Orleans once Drew retired.

That is exactly what ended up happening.

I don't think people have to be considered haters for believing that was what he wanted all along.

Sure, he got us a SuperBowl and i am thankful for that, but he didn't do that for us. We don't owe him anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom