Chances Guard position is solidified tonight? (1 Viewer)

Yeah Leleito has one spot tied down. Battle is really for the other one

Lelito got absolutely destroyed tonight. At one point he got demolished on back to back plays which forced the team to punt. He shouldn't be a starter and at best might be a marginal backup.

Everyone knew the offensive line was going to need an injection of talent this year. Unfortunately, the Saints decided to roll the dice with what they had and they failed miserably.

They didn't "decide to roll the dice" The Seahawks took Germaine Ifedi, the 49ers took Joshua Garnett, and the Pats took Joe Thuney. The guards we wanted were taken b4cwr could get to them and I don't advocate taking lesser guards over better players in later rounds just cuz you need one.

That's like moving up to take a Kicker in the 2nd round when better offensive and defensive players are still there.

They didn't "decide to roll the dice" The Seahawks took Germaine Ifedi, the 49ers took Joshua Garnett, and the Pats took Joe Thuney. The guards we wanted were taken b4cwr could get to them and I don't advocate taking lesser guards over better players in later rounds just cuz you need one.

That's like moving up to take a Kicker in the 2nd round when better offensive and defensive players are still there.

I'm tired of the excuses. Guard has been the Saints biggest position of need for two offseasons. The Saints have two offseasons to figure it out...and they didn't. This team isn't going anywhere until we finally get it figured out.

I'm tired of the excuses. Guard has been the Saints biggest position of need for two offseasons. The Saints have two offseasons to figure it out...and they didn't. This team isn't going anywhere until we finally get it figured out.

I disagree it's been the biggest piece of work of need as well...every spot on the defense except Cam Jordan/Vaccaro was arguably the single biggest position of need the last 2 years.

The oline is a prob..we've needed guards for 2 years I agree but we've needed other positions and bad drafting / FA decisions as a whole for the last 5 years out us in this position..not just not addressing G for 2 years.

Little more complicated than that.

It's a scary thought.
Strief is done and it has Peat out of position.

They HAD to have a backup plan if a Strief who is one year older was looking slow and Peat was not panning out at RG.

Didn't they????

Cuz if they didn't then this staff should be done.

I disagree it's been the biggest piece of work of need as well...every spot on the defense except Cam Jordan/Vaccaro was arguably the single biggest position of need the last 2 years.

The oline is a prob..we've needed guards for 2 years I agree but we've needed other positions and bad drafting / FA decisions as a whole for the last 5 years out us in this position..not just not addressing G for 2 years.

There has to be a place where you try to get at least one quality player on that line no matter what is up with the defense. Do what you can with the defense but you need to stay on the OL.

Why?

Because if Brees gets hurt or is running for his life with pressure up the middle all season, nothing matters.

We could vault to the #15 defense this year and if Brees can't be effective we will still be 6-10. On the other hand it very plausible that if we are the #21 defense but Brees are protected we remain in the playoff hunt.

Brees makes this whole thing go and to not have his offense protected and supported by quality horses up front is a sin.

Sorry, while I like most of every thing you post, I disagree Ellias. It's been well known since day one, Brees needs the interior to be stout because of his height and now maybe because of his age. When we had the best guards, Brees was at his best. I do agree of course that the defense needed serious overhaul, but this team runs through Brees. His interior protection is what he needs. They did not provide as of yet. I have had a few beers tonight because of this game, so I could be off, but that line play tonight was putrid.

I haven't seen the game yet (not televised up here). But my god, this sounds terrible.

So the guards were that bad?

OK, so it was that bad. I'm gonna watch the game now. It's only 9am here, but I'm opening a bottle of bourbon - to prepare. Thanks for the forewarning.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom