Chandler Jones gets tag (1 Viewer)

I think John Simon may be worth a look. He could come cheap and he's a hard worker.

Too many teams have too much room under the cap to risk letting a great player test the market unless they have a huge downside (like age or being injury prone).

I guess it's about that time for our potential free agent market to start dwindling.

Bruce Arians mentioned roughly 3weeks ago that there was no way Chandler was hitting FA.

I am not worried about it.

This is a year to think about drafting two pass rushers, a more complete one on the likes of Jordan and a pure speedy pass rusher (like Gallette was).

If we are intelligent with our free agent money, we should look to bring a couple of young offensive linemen (this is not a good draft for the position) and if we can, bring a middle of the road corner like Mo Claiborne, Dre Kirkpatrick or Prince Amukamara.

If Fairley leaves (and we should not overspend on him), Alan Branch is a nice addition for the nose. Dontarie Poe will be too expensive also.

It is about quality signings, for the right money. We should not try to follow the idea of filling every single hole in free agency and then go and get the best players available. Not this year.

Be patient, be smart, have a road map. The resources are there, just made wise decisions.

Last edited:
I am not worried about it.

This is a year to think about drafting two pass rushers, a more complete one on the likes of Jordan and a pure speedy pass rusher (like Gallette was).

If we are intelligent with our free agent money, we should look to bring a couple of young offensive linemen (this is not a good draft for the position) and if we can, bring a middle of the road corner like Mo Claiborne or Prince Amukamara.

It is about quality signings, for the right money. We should not try to follow the idea of filling every single hole in free agency and then go and get the best players available. Not this year.

Be patient, be smart, have a road map. The resources are there, just made wise decisions.

To be honest, i went back and looked at our FA years since SP has gotten here. You'll notice its been a bigger crap shoot than the draft. We've missed on a TON of FA's. My opinion we should not sign anyone we don't have good info on to maximize our chances.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.co...ee-agent-signings-by-season-under-sean-payton

My honsest opinon is we should use our coaches to give us insight on any guy we are looking at bringing in.

Reggie Bush PR/KR/3rd down back - SP/Entire Staff
Larry Warford G - Joe Lombardi was on Lions Staff as O coord From 14-15
Kajuan Williams/Joe Haden DB = Aaron Glenn on Cleveland's Staff as DB coach
Nick Fairley - DT - Produced in scheme last year
Sterling Moore - DB - Produced as a CB in scheme last year

Finally if you have to go DE, look for a Bargain Deal like you did with Fairley last year. It is definitely possible to have the above FA without breaking the bank and feel good about vision/fit for each one and be set up to go BPA. You could literally go best available LB,CB, Edge on draft day.

FWIW if we don't get a CB via FA or Trade be warned that we could go CB high because Breaux is a FA next year as this is the 3rd year of his contract and they only have so much film on him since he missed a lot of last year. It'll be up to him to have a rebound year/cement his status as a good #2 CB so we can give him a contract but be warned that CB with the 1st pick is definitely an option for several reasons.

Well since the best pass rushers are now going to be off the market, spend big on corner and guard, bring in Zach Brown, then take the best DEbavailable at 11 and then again with our 3rd. Use the 2nd rounder on another corner (White maybe if he falls).

To be honest, i went back and looked at our FA years since SP has gotten here. You'll notice its been a bigger crap shoot than the draft. We've missed on a TON of FA's. My opinion we should not sign anyone we don't have good info on to maximize our chances.

Agree, and we should realize that free agents contracts are normally higher then the ones you have in house.

Yes you can improve your team, but you can also put your team in a bigger hole if you pay over the market money for below the market players.

I am for signing 2-3 middle of the road free agents each year, only risk on "sure" bets that as you say, we know, and allow some of our young players go.

As I said many times. Know your roster, plan ahead.

Think that you will have a cleaner cap if most of your roster is composed with first contract players. You can also get compensatory picks if you don't abuse free agency, all to give you more choices to have in roster players to replace the ones leaving after their first contract.

Big money contracts are only for core players, and those, you draft. Drew is an exception of a lifetime.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.co...ee-agent-signings-by-season-under-sean-payton

My honsest opinon is we should use our coaches to give us insight on any guy we are looking at bringing in.

Reggie Bush PR/KR/3rd down back - SP/Entire Staff
Larry Warford G - Joe Lombardi was on Lions Staff as O coord From 14-15
Kajuan Williams/Joe Haden DB = Aaron Glenn on Cleveland's Staff as DB coach
Nick Fairley - DT - Produced in scheme last year
Sterling Moore - DB - Produced as a CB in scheme last year

Finally if you have to go DE, look for a Bargain Deal like you did with Fairley last year. It is definitely possible to have the above FA without breaking the bank and feel good about vision/fit for each one and be set up to go BPA. You could literally go best available LB,CB, Edge on draft day.

FWIW if we don't get a CB via FA or Trade be warned that we could go CB high because Breaux is a FA next year as this is the 3rd year of his contract and they only have so much film on him since he missed a lot of last year. It'll be up to him to have a rebound year/cement his status as a good #2 CB so we can give him a contract but be warned that CB with the 1st pick is definitely an option for several reasons.

K'waun Williams was signed already.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom