Change in Defensive Scheme? (1 Viewer)

sandog

Veteran
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
With the signing of Gay and McCray, I think we will see less of the press coverage scheme by Saints' DBs in 08. This also could mean the Mike McKenzie days could be numbered as a member of the Black and Gold. McKenzie will be 32 next month and coming off a serious knee injury. He is also slated to make 3 Million in 08 and 4.45 Million in 09.

The other corners on the roster are also zone coverage kind of guys (David, Craft, Young, and 2 Practice Squaders).

uuuh, no, I think with the signing of Gay and McCrary, it only solidifies our press and man coverage...were trying to improve the pass rush, thats why we signed McCrary, were a man / zone team.

Most corners can play zone. It's the ones who can play man that are different from the rest. McKenzie will be fine in a zone scheme. Actually, he'll probably be better able to make plays on the ball and make more interceptions and pass defenses.

McKenzie would be the perfect free safety in a zone scheme. He's got good speed and can hit well for a ~200 lbs player. He would be the pass coverage version of Bob Sanders.

Are you serious cutting MM for those guys would be like cutting Brees for Palko.......

Yes I think so. I think we're moving away from a hard man-to-man scheme like you saw in 2006 and will, in 2008, see a lot more zone. I think it's all tied together. I think we're going to rely more on the defensive line to generate pressure and move away from overload blitzs and the like with the linebackers. We're going to use the linebackers more in a read/react role and put more of the run defense responsibility on them, and I think we're going to move our safeties back and play more Cover-2.

The net result of which is an increased emphasis on pass rush/penetration by the defensive line and a decreased emphasis on the CBs. This also better accomodates both Gay and David.

But we're still a long, long ways from going full bore to a Tampa-2 philosophy. Think more Washington Redskins or Jacksonville Jagaurs and less Tampa Bay Bucs and Indianapolis Colts.

Btw, all of this would extend McKenzie's career as a top CB, not shorten it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom