Change To A 3-4 Defense? (1 Viewer)

I was going to post a thread like this, but I know that most of the posters on here would react exactly the way they did. Now that it's a few posts old we can actually get some good discussion here.

I'm in Korea right now and I have Sirius radio that I listen to everyday. I listen to NFL Radio and every show. They repeatedly say that switching to a 3-4 is the easiest way for teams to improve their defense fast and less expensive than a 4-3. I do not recall all the reasons, but one of them was that you didn't have to have as many high paid players as a 4-3 with the one you need being a nose tackle.

They also inteviewed Zach Thomas. He said that he's going where he needs the team not where the team needs him. He also said that he'd prefer playing in a 3-4 being that he had more protection in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3.

IMO, yes we could and probably should since our glory days of our LBers was when we had the 3-4. We would have to bring in a DC that runs a 3-4 and I don't think Gibbs is that guy.

3-4 would open up more blitzing schemes. I know alot of you cry about switching but get some Kleenex because its exactly what we need to do. To say we don't have the personal is a lame excuse, whoever we have that fits we keep whoever doesn't we cut and find someone who does. A 3-4 would allow us to use more complex zone defenses as well. Linebackers in coverage would help our corners.

We're actually alot closer than some think in terms of personnel...

unless our "great" DE's lose weight... they are both at prime weight for DE in a 3-4. Hollis is big enough to man the NT... and Clancy has already played there.

We're missing a couple impact LBs which we could fill this offseason along with a couple guys to help in the secondary.

So yes it IS possible... probable though? no...

Bingo except it is more probable than you think. Gibbs was the big dog in converting Dallas' defense. Last offseason was horrible pickings and our draft spot was too for defensive personell. If we make a big splash in the draft and free agency , i believe we will eventually change. Dallas changed to a 3-4 in one year, so it is possible we could see it next season.

I am going to use this post to state that we will convert to a 3-4 by next season. How it can be possible:

Dt:Ellis,Clancy
ROLB: Briggs
LOLB: Fujita
MLB:Thomas,Al Wilson, Vilma and a second round pick.(2 of the FA pickups)
RE-Smith
LE-Grant and a third round pick
CB- Trufant and U.Young(i believe in him and this of course assuming Mckenzie cannot play.
FS-KK, Darious, 4th round pick
SS-Harper, Sammy Knight( assumig he would come back and play for us)

Last edited:
Switching to a 3-4 is the only way I would be happy drafting Gholston....and if we were starting from scratch I'd say do it....I just don't see it happening THIS YEAR.

In a 3-4, do the CBs play more Man or Zone coverage or is it up to the team?

our top weekly threads:

3-4 defense ?
cut deuce ?
reggie a WR ?
will meachem play ?
move jason david/mike mckenzie/jason craft/mike karney to safety ?
why didn´t we sign anyone yet ?
hey i have a brand new idea : lets sign asante samuel , lance briggs and trade a can of chunky soup fo deangelo hall

What do you expect in the offseason? Its a long stretch until something actually happens and the brain starts to work....and 99% of us have brains that weren't adequate to work for an NFL team....

our top weekly threads:

3-4 defense ?
cut deuce ?
reggie a WR ?
will meachem play ?
move jason david/mike mckenzie/jason craft/mike karney to safety ?
why didn´t we sign anyone yet ?
hey i have a brand new idea : lets sign asante samuel , lance briggs and trade a can of chunky soup fo deangelo hall

I am going to have to call you out when we actually switch. I am not the OP but think outside the box and check Gibb's profile on the team website.

I wish they would go with the flex defense.

I wish they would go with the flex defense.

so we can get dinked and dunked all the way down the field and look reminiscent of a few years past.

only prob with going to a 3-4 right now, we'd need 4 linebackers. as we got fujita because he didnt' fit a 3-4 and he's our best linebacker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom