Changes to playoff seeding?

Shadeaux

EnterTheMatrixAk41Mi22
Platinum VIP Contributor
Ratings
I think it's an interesting proposition, I hate having games mean absolutely nothing & watching some team tank it with their 3rd stringers at the end of the season.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
Ratings
I am on the other side of the fence on this one. I think regardless of record, a division winner should be rewarded with a home playoff game. The road to the Super Bowl SHOULD be tough for a wild card team no matter how good of a record they have.

srenner

C-R-U-N-K.....
Ratings
I am on the other side of the fence on this one. I think regardless of record, a division winner should be rewarded with a home playoff game. The road to the Super Bowl SHOULD be tough for a wild card team no matter how good of a record they have.
I'm with you on this one. Although I like the idea of adding value to the late season games I think it's important to reward division winners.

basilisk

Hall-of-Famer
Ratings
on the one hand it keeps (almost) all games important, right to the end... on the other hand, it semi-penalizes division winners (or at least the possibility exists)... i think on balance i'd vote 'yes'... why should, for example, jacksonville be penalized with no home game and an 11/5 record because indy is in their division while somebody like cleveland wins a weak division with a 9/7 record and can stay home?

msusaintsfan

All-Pro & Resident Ninja
Ratings
Diamondhead, MS via Houston, Tx, via Starkville, M
I 'm with you basilisk all the way. I have never liked it just because a team wins their division that they automatically gets a home game in the wildcard round.

To play devil's advocate, who on here would be happy if we went 11-5 (say Carolina won the division) and somehow worked it's way out that we were a wildcard team and had to travel to play a 9-7 Seahawks team. Wouldn't seem right would it just because they won the West? I'm sure most of us would be up in arms.

I like the idea of making everyone of those games count and just because you win your division then you get a free pass. I guess I may be in the minority but it seems the teams with the better record should host games even if they didn't win their division.

Archie_4_HOF

Northshore Who Dat
Ratings
However, if it was put to a vote, I'd vote no, and here's why: If there's a coach out there who saw the Colts and Bucs tank the end of this season, and saw the Giants put forth a gargantuan effort with nothing to play for in Week 17, and then saw what happened in the playoffs, and that coach is still dumb enough to be letting his players collect rust over the last two weeks of the season, then I'm opposed to the league stepping in and saving this coach from his own idiocy.

I am for this propostion but not this guys logic. Given what the Giants achieved, I believe less team s will rest players in the final game when they have nothing to gain. But that will only continue until a team plays all their starters and they lose a star in a meaningless game and the media rips them for playing their stars. These coaches can't win sometimes. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Imagine the Saints have nothing to gain in week 17 and employ the Giants strategy. Then Drew Brees gets knocked out for the season and lose in the playoffs to a wild card team. Then the media and fans will say hey Coach Payton how could you take the chance of playing Brees.

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
Ratings
To play devil's advocate, who on here would be happy if we went 11-5 (say Carolina won the division) and somehow worked it's way out that we were a wildcard team and had to travel to play a 9-7 Seahawks team. Wouldn't seem right would it just because they won the West? I'm sure most of us would be up in arms.
I wouldn't be up in arms. I think that if they won their division then they are entitled to a home playoff game. Its the way football has always been.

Top Bottom