Chargers coach..what was he thinking?? (1 Viewer)

Yeah, that was so stupid. I think he panicked.

The playclock had already run down. And anyway, I don't think Carr understood the question. The timeout didn't change anything - they still ran the ball, they just got a big run that picked up a first down. It's not like the time-out caused them to change their strategy and throw it. The only thing that changed things was the first-down carry. They would never have tried for a 60+ yd field goal.

Don’t fault Chargers coach. No guarantee that the Raiders were going to run the clock out. They still could have run the clock out after the time out. Had the Raiders not gotten a first down then they probably wouldn’t have kicked the field goal. When you really think about it though would we settle for a tie to get into the postseason against the Atlanta, Tampa or Carolina.

I don’t really think it was terribly consequential. Carr stated they were going for the win no matter what.

The playclock had already run down. And anyway, I don't think Carr understood the question. The timeout didn't change anything - they still ran the ball, they just got a big run that picked up a first down. It's not like the time-out caused them to change their strategy and throw it. The only thing that changed things was the first-down carry. They would never have tried for a 60+ yd field goal.
This may be true.
But who's to say what the Raiders decided before the play was ran?
If they don't get the 1st down, were they going to let the clock run out?
Was Staley going to allow them to?

I don’t really think it was terribly consequential. Carr stated they were going for the win no matter what.
Not true. Check out the Raiders Coach post press interview. Talk about the tie on sideline and thought Chargers was thinking the same, until the time out.

Not true. Check out the Raiders Coach post press interview. Talk about the tie on sideline and thought Chargers was thinking the same, until the time out.
Yep, while we can't really know for sure, up until the timeout, the Raiders were milking the clock because they didn't want to leave any time for LA if something weird happened. I was expecting the Raiders to just let the clock run down and try a long fg, but the timeout let then get the play they wanted and the rest is history.

I absolutely would not have called a timeout in that spot. It was a strange decision by Staley imo.

And going for it on 4th down at their own 18 and giving the Raiders a free fg probably leads to a different outcome in the game. That was the dumbest decision of the weekend.

Once the Raiders had possession of the ball and could run the clock all the way down, they were in the playoffs. If they're not pushing the issue to score, then you should just let them continue to run the clock. It's probably difficult to see that in the moment, though. Calling the timeout just allowed the Raiders to ensure the Chargers weren't going to make it.

That wasn’t nearly his worst decision of the game. Going for it on 4th from his own 18. Dumbest decision of the last decade

The difference with the time out is that the Raiders got another play in and a good one, and they wound up with an easier kick. That’s it. Why wouldn’t they try to get a FG? They get in either way - FG made or FG missed. They were going to try it.

So yeah, the time out was not good. A longer FG try would be a better chance for a miss and a tie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom