Chargers cut LT Jared Gaither (1 Viewer)

I'd be in for the right price. I have hope for the young guys but I'd like some expirience protecting Brees. He's a solid player from what I've seen but don't know too much about him.

He's a great player, but has a bit of an injury history. The reason we won at the end of the game last year was because Tez saw Gaither was hurt and used a speed move to sack Rivers.

Basically another guy with million dollar talent and a ten cent head.

I know we have had luck with ex-Chargers though, maybe if we can get him for an incentive based deal because otherwise he seems like too big a risk...last year the docs completely cleared him as fully healthy and he shut himself down.

This article sums it up.

Acee: Jared Gaither can't return to S.D. | UTSanDiego.com

The super-talented behemoth of a man played five virtually flawless games for the Chargers in 2011 to earn a contract with $9 million guaranteed. The Chargers knew signing him was a risk, given his history of injuries and rumblings by his former employers that he was lazy and even a faker. But Gaither was the only starting left tackle available in free agency.

Young, massive player similar to carl nicks in talent but plays LT

if anything maybe sean payton can motivate him.

Only at a minimal contract. However, pickings are slim.

SP made a point to talk about dependability. It's why he liked Bushrod. He was always there. He even said Bushrod knew exactly what he wasn't good at. But he was dependable.

It's the knock on Charles Brown. He left that spot empty, because he's not dependable. Can he be that guy?

Gaither is a high upside, but low dependability. He's worth a look, but he's not the answer. Not sure what direction Payton wants to go though.

EDIT: Let me add this. if we brought him in for cheap, I'd be happy. However, I wouldn't feel comfortable with the LT spot. We'd have two guys with talent who can't stay on the field. I still think we'd draft an OT, maybe not 1st round, but it needs to happen.

He is the most talented left tackle in the league but cant stay healthy...

On a vet prove yourself deal sure and thats probably all he's going to get....

"I can't even look him in the eye," one veteran Charger told Kevin Acee of the U-T San Diego in December. Another one said: "(Expletiving) Gaither. He (expletiving) cost us big-time."

Two teams that badly need tackles have given up on Gaither in successive seasons. He's supremely talented, but it's safe to say he won't get a huge (expletiving) contract from an NFL team ever again

San Diego Chargers free agent bust Jared Gaither - NFL.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom