Chargers may not be in L.A. for long (1 Viewer)

He won't live forever, new owner may not have enough clout to prevent the move.

Portland could be a possibility, though I don't think they would approve a taxpayer financed stadium.
That market has already been overtaken by the Cowboys, Texans, and Saints. Another Texas team would just be like the Jaguars. Forgotten.
I do like the idea of Portland though.

Off topic but I'm still trying to figure out how Jacksonville ever got a NFL franchise. I mean they have no other professional sports team and struggle to fill their stadium.

Hey, Roger. We’ve been through this before. We tried to tell you. Larger market doesn’t neccessarily mean more fans and more money. Los aangeles is a very flakey market. Why? Because Los Angeles is a mega-conglomeration of people from all over the country. A very large portion of LA metro area NFL fans are fans of teams that don’t reside in LA. You can’t force a team down their throats.
TRUE DAT~! I’ve lived out here since ’84 and have developed just a mild interest in the Dodgers who NEVER hurt my feelings when they win or make me proud when they win. It’s that simple and has no real meaning to me either way. Now, The SAINTS? I cut myself when climbing over barbed wire fence to get to an avocado field I noticed I STILL BLEED BLACK and GOLD~! So, Lakers, Dodgers, Kings, whatever......I love my HOME TEAM of The N.O. SAINTS no matter what happens who wins how many Championships out here or how they do it or how many times I will never be a real “fan” for an L.A. team just because I have no real contact with the “roots” of this town and why my sports out here are my own from mountain biking to surfing to hyper-hiking, these are the main California sports I love and The New Orleans SAINTS will ALWAYS own my heart as I live and breath their heritage as I remember listing to John Gilliam returning the opening K/O for a TD to Drew’s breaking the Total passing yardage against The ‘Skins; I’ve been and will remain a Heart of Black and Gold SAINTS FAN and that’s just fine with me. Plus, I believe we may have another Super Bowl in the works this season and there’s no bailing out now for sure~~!#lovetheSAINTS

LA is definitely supporting the Rams right now so the "LA cant support a team" narrative is false. They just don't care for the chargers. It was always a Rams/Raiders town.

They are only supporting the Rams bc they are winning.

A good fan base is one that supports the team through the ups and downs. LA fans are a lot like Falcons fans, only show up when they are winning , and if they are not, there new favorite team is who ever is winning.

I bet you money more then half, were Seahawks fans 4 years ago

They have a 20 year contract to lease the Rams new stadium. I highly doubt they'll be breaking that anytime soon.

The different is that both of those teams have a history in LA. The Chargers don’t.

Thats not exactly true. The Chargers joined the AFL in 1959 as the Los Angeles Chargers, and played their first season there in 1960, before moving to San Diego the next year.

To me the Chargers are in absolute limbo.

The Los Angeles thing is just never going to work, but yet they are going to have to make it work cause there is literally almost nowhere to go in the short term.

Anywhere they would go they would be waiting years for a stadium, which is what they are doing now.

Cant go back to San Diego, that stadium is crumbling and planned to be demolished.

Cant go to St. Louis, already plans to make that dome into strictly convention space and the market has the stink of failure (twice) still on it.

Cant go to San Antonio, AlamoDome is a fossil these days with little to no revenue producing suites.

Portland, Sacramento and similar markets just don't have anything close NFL ready facilities and would be years and years before anything could be approved and built.

Canada is not a option as most CFL stadiums aren't much larger than where they play now, and the first NFL team to cross the border would basically end the CFL as they know it and the NFL doesn't want the optics of that.

London might be an option as I believe the eventual plan is for 2 teams, one at Wembley and one at Tottenham which has reconfigured their stadium specifically for the NFL. But that's probably 2022

The Chargers truly are a team without a home, a fanbase, and a plan honestly..

as far as sports go in california, it is a college football state.

isn’t professional baseball and hockey more profitable in cali? i read that years, years ago.

the 49ers (blechhhhh yuck puke) and raiders (when successful) are the only franchises with steady fanbases. soon it will be only the whiners.

cali has multiples of every other sport franchise that their people actually enjoy. i understand the nfl wanting to make more money there, but it will be minimal at best. large state, large population.

fork it, give san antonio one of the teams instead. anywhere in texas, any pro team would have the crowds needed.
No one can argue about that. From Pop Warner to the pros, Texas is forged in football. No, Jerrah wouldn't like it, but San Antonio would receive the Chargers with A LOT MORE fan support than what we've seen in L.A.

And this is quite understandable. Imagine for a moment that the Saints had moved away in 2005. Even if the New Orleans area was a huge market for football, would there be any question who you would support if the Saints came back to New Orleans with the Jaguars in tow?

At the end of the day the engine that makes the NFL run smoothly is city (and sometimes state) pride. So unless the Chargers still have a loyal fan base in L.A. from way back in the early '60s, it doesn't take a genius to know whose wagon the football fans in L.A. is going to jump on.

That decision makes you wonder how the NFL owners got so rich in the first place. :loco:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom