N/S Chargers team doctor accidentally punctured Tyrod Taylor's lung on Sunday (1 Viewer)

He very likely used ultrasound...which is something that you can easily have access in a stadium. Some team physicians have ultrasound probes that attach to Ipad screens. They are very small. Now if he did the injection without ultrasound guidance...that's ballsy. No way in a million years would I do that.
When I first wrote that, I was thinking just xray. Then I realized UT would work. And I sort of forgot UT can be a lot more portable.

So, I'll just shift it to the joke I wanted to make...

This is why nurses or UT techs do this....

When I first wrote that, I was thinking just xray. Then I realized UT would work. And I sort of forgot UT can be a lot more portable.

So, I'll just shift it to the joke I wanted to make...

This is why nurses or UT techs do this....

You can do it with fluoroscopy (x-ray), but I think that it is more safely performed and more accurate by ultrasound. But safe is a relative term. It can be a life changing procedure for some patients after rib fractures. There are lots of medical ethics dilemmas when it comes to sports medicine. For instance...is a surgical procedure for a high ankle sprain (that would do just fine healing up over 4-6 weeks with just bracing) a reasonable and ethical procedure)? Tua. Also...is bracing a players knee after a patellar dislocation and putting them back on the field the next week to play an NFL game medically responsible? Mahomes. The truth is that there are questionable decisions that are made on essentially a weekly basis at the collegiate and professional level.

You can do it with fluoroscopy (x-ray), but I think that it is more safely performed and more accurate by ultrasound. But safe is a relative term. It can be a life changing procedure for some patients after rib fractures. There are lots of medical ethics dilemmas when it comes to sports medicine. For instance...is a surgical procedure for a high ankle sprain (that would do just fine healing up over 4-6 weeks with just bracing) a reasonable and ethical procedure)? Tua. Also...is bracing a players knee after a patellar dislocation and putting them back on the field the next week to play an NFL game medically responsible? Mahomes. The truth is that there are questionable decisions that are made on essentially a weekly basis at the collegiate and professional level.

That's because the NFL is like...

I do the procedure. It’s called an intercostal nerve block. You get within a centimeter of the lung pleura...pneumothorax is a real risk. It debatable whether you should be doing the procedure with the intent to sending players back on a football field.

Here’s a picture of the injection:
1600884685401.jpeg

the straight bright line is the needle and the bright curved structure below is the lung pleura.

My wife works in anesthesia. I told her about this and she sorta shrugged and said that risk was part of the nature of the procedure.

if i needed THAT to get thru a ball game, well yall just gonna have to cut me. ( like from the rosters ) lol.

I vagel out on cortisone shot to shoulder.

That would probably put me in cardiac arrest lol
Cortisone is no fun wherever it’s being injected. I had a condition commonly called trigger finger where the tendon that controls the fingers swells up. The tendon passes through a sheath and when it swells up you can close your fingers but opening them is very painful. When you do open them they don’t just slide open they pop open. I’ve had this condition on all 8 fingers but thankfully not in my thumbs. I tried avoiding surgery for a few years and the treatment that got me by was cortisone injections in the palm of my hands. The Dr. kinda forced the cortisone towards the fingers away from my wrist and it felt like my fingers were going to bust.

Tyrod will be back starting he is from my neck of the woods and he still has game. No need to rush things there.

Taylor had his Jeff Blake moment. No way he gets that offense back from Herbert. Taylor is a good QB. Herbert can be great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom