Charles Davis "Are we going to get the Robert Meachem guy who blows up … just trying to impress us and get the money?" (1 Viewer)

Nevimeister

I was there!
Reaction score
Charles Davis "Are we going to get the Robert Meachem guy who blows up … just trying to impress us and get the money?"

The challenge now for NFL teams is to determine if there are any red flags that might indicate Devin Thomas' pro career has a better chance to go bust than boom. One issue is why he wasn't more of a factor in 2006, when he was limited to six catches on a Spartans offense directed by quarterback Drew Stanton, whom the Detroit Lions selected in the second round of the 2007 draft.

For a cautionary tale, look no further than last year's 27th overall pick, when the New Orleans Saints chose Tennessee's Robert Meachem. He had a breakout campaign in 2006 when he leapt from 29 receptions to 71, gaining 1,298 yards with 11 touchdowns.

But then Meachem reported to Saints minicamp in May overweight, injured his knee a month later and never played a down in 2007.

And, like Thomas, Meachem had a superb workout season that helped propel him into the first round. "That's the worry for all scouts," Davis says. "Are we going to get the Devin Thomas who appears to be rising? Or are we going to get the Robert Meachem guy who blows up … just trying to impress us and get the money?"

Devin Thomas hopes path to NFL goes boom, not bust - USATODAY.com

Great, so now the popular definition of being a lazy useless bum who fools everyone into drafting him for big bucks then disappears without a trace is no longer 'Doing a Sullivan' but 'Doing a Meachem'. I'm sure we're all really disappointed with Meachem's dismal effort in his first season, but this criticism seems a bit over the top.

I hope Robert puts that one in his locker and reads it regularly. He has done nothing so far to prove this guy wrong, though I do think it's a little unfair. It's not like he was ever given a chance to make a play.

I really don't think that is a fail assesment of Meachem. I think he will have a good season, and challenge for a starting spot. It was a nightmare season for him, and the Saints as far as he is concerned, and he is taking steps to rectify last season.

Plenty of time for Meachem. He is training with Patten and if finally healthy.

It's not like he slipped on a McDonalds bag and fell through his TV or anything....

It is too soon to say that about Meach. I think he will be a weapon this year. We will see.

It's way too soon to say any of that about RM. Injuries brought his development to a complete halt, and by the time he was even near healthy, he was still learning the offensive scheme. He's had an entire year to study and get healthy. I expect a MONSTER year out of him.

It's not like he was drafted #1 overall, played one year, and didn't do squat.

This is the DEFINITION of locker room material. Please Meachem, tape this quote on your locker now.

I think its very fair to criticize Meachem for showing up overweight to camp and the Saints for picking a guy who needed knee surgery before camp(this was a pre existing injury).

Meachem's first year was a bust and even if he does perform this year it doesnt change the fact we paid top money for a player who never saw the field. Most first round picks made significant contributions to their team as rookies.

All that being said, the jury is certainly still out on how good a player Meachem will eventually become. There is no doubt he has the talent to become a top NFL receiver. My guess is that if the saints had that pick to do over, they wouldnt pick Meachem. I just do not think they were a good enough team to pick a player in the first round who would not suit up.

In fairness to the Saints, maybe their doctors looked at his knee and didnt think it was bad enough to be a problem. I hope we pick a player this year in the first who is starting opening day. I hope Meachem is starting opening day.

that how it appears on the surface, I woudnt take that as a shot against Meachem more...Charles Davis like any other reporter, failed again to do his homework on the Meachem situation and pretty much just talked about Meachem's first 2 months as a pro.

I hope Robert puts that one in his locker and reads it regularly. He has done nothing so far to prove this guy wrong, though I do think it's a little unfair. It's not like he was ever given a chance to make a play.

Someone needs to print out the negative things said about him and give it to him with the note: "Prove these jokers wrong, we believe in you." He doesn't sound like a guy who need a lot of motivation to work hard, but anything that gets someone fired up helps!

:9:

Plenty of time for Meachem. He is training with Patten and if finally healthy.

It's not like he slipped on a McDonalds bag and fell through his TV or anything....

:hihi: Good Brandon Marshall reference there.

In fairness to the Saints, maybe their doctors looked at his knee and didnt think it was bad enough to be a problem. I hope we pick a player this year in the first who is starting opening day. I hope Meachem is starting opening day.

Mickey Loomis admitted as much during an interview. He essentially said they underestimated the severity of the knee injury. To what extent Meachem may have tried to hide the severity of the knee problem is unknown.

Great, so now the popular definition of being a lazy useless bum who fools everyone into drafting him for big bucks then disappears without a trace is no longer 'Doing a Sullivan' but 'Doing a Meachem'. I'm sure we're all really disappointed with Meachem's dismal effort in his first season, but this criticism seems a bit over the top.

Fools everyone? More like "fools the Saints."

At least Sully touched the field his first year. I even saw him get a sack. Of course, he limped off the field immediately following the play, but still....:covri:

that how it appears on the surface, I woudnt take that as a shot against Meachem more...Charles Davis like any other reporter, failed again to do his homework on the Meachem situation and pretty much just talked about Meachem's first 2 months as a pro.

What do you mean not doing his homework? There is nothing incorrect at all about what he said. Regardless of what we think/hope he does, the fact remains that he was not a productive member of this team after using a first round pick on him and until he proves otherwise, it is a fair label to place on him for his rookie season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom