Charles Grant and Deuce (1 Viewer)

Albi

- Future Hall of Famer -
Reaction score
The Saints have two contracts right now that are major problems and need to addressed. One is with the newly signed Charles Grant and other is my one favorite players, Deuce McAllister.

Grant can't get to the QB, one the reasons he got that seven year, $63 million contract with $20 guaranteed. Don't you wish the Saints could just go and sign somebody like Jared Allen(15.5 sacks in 2007) for around the same cash to pair up with Will Smith? I don't have time to list all the Saints who had more sacks than Grant in 2007. Move him to DT or off the Team. Hey, Tampa... Do you still want him?

Deuce has my respect, he is a soldier. The truth is he hasn't been able to stay healthy and since Bush is NOT an every-play RB, we need someone. He needs to take a pay cut and get back to form, since the Saints can't trade or cut him.

I really like Pierre Thomas, too bad Payton didn't watch what he did in the pre-season games and didn't give him a start until the last game of the season. Do you think he watched that game against the Bears?

Also, if someone can mail Sean Payton some footage of Bush in college where Pete Carroll used him correctly, that would be great.
icon14.gif

- Albi

I dont think any of the players should take a pay cut. The team signed the contract and they should live up to their end of the stick. Deuce got hurt playing for the Saints, they at least owe him what they promised. I still think C. Grant is a great starting DE. He just doesnt have the sexy "sack" stats anymore. But he seems to be playing the run a lot more...

I understand that these players get back loaded contracts that can hurt teams down the road. And a lot of times the players never see them end of their contracts. But we need to start treating these players as human beings, not commodities. This is not madden....

I dont think any of the players should take a pay cut. The team signed the contract and they should live up to their end of the stick. Deuce got hurt playing for the Saints, they at least owe him what they promised. I still think C. Grant is a great starting DE. He just doesnt have the sexy "sack" stats anymore. But he seems to be playing the run a lot more...

I understand that these players get back loaded contracts that can hurt teams down the road. And a lot of times the players never see them end of their contracts. But we need to start treating these players as human beings, not commodities. This is not madden....

Why should athletes be any different than any other field? When most people aren't working the way the company thought they would they get fired and when that happens they either get a severage package or nothing.

Remember, they chose this field to work in and get paid very well for it and just about every player you could talk to would tell you that is the business, which is why the Signing Bonus is so important.

Oh.....and they are commodities.....just like a great salesmen is a rare commodity to his company and competing companies that are willing to pay for his services.

Last edited:
Why should athletes be any different than any other field? When most people aren't working the way the company thought they would they get fired and when that happens they either get a severage package or nothing.

Remember, they chose this field to work in and get paid very well for it and just about every player you could talk to would tell you that is the business, which is why the Signing Bonus is so important.

OK, but what about Deuce? He got hurt on the job....

lol. down with disease

Everyone here can agree that Grant had a horrible season. His fewest sack and tackle total in his pro career. Can it be blamed solely on the contract extension, maybe. Or how about that he was hobbled all season with a bad ankle, maybe. Grant needs that fire back in his belly and I don't mean hot tamales. He needs to get in top shape period. Could you imagine a sleek faster and stronger Charles Grant. Dude would be a beast.

Here's the thing Albi. Charles will be on this team and he should be on this team, he is a asset. The contract has been signed and although it was a big investment, based on his prior seasons it was deserved. All Grant needs to do is get his mind back on track and be a dominant force that he can be. Remember it wasn't but a couple of seasons ago that Smith(who must be resigned) and Grant were considered one of the top duos in the league.

This is where coach Ogeron comes in. This guy is a motivational teacher who gets the best out of his guys. Grant isn't going anywhere, let's give him another season and see if he can give the Saints and their fans the investment on the field that the organization gave him off. He can he just needs to get that fire back. Hopefully the stabbing incident opens his eyes in a positive fashion. (and in our case a motivational fashion)

With that signing bonus, the Saints will probably have to stick with Grant for at least two more years. I really don't know what the future will hold for Deuce. He looked terrible before his injury last year, but I still think he can produce somewhat.

I think Grant will rebound this year -- but I did not agree with the money we used to resign him in the first place -- but whats done is done there --

While I may agree that Deuce got hurt playing for the Saints --business reality has got to set in -- if they did not make decisions based on the business and subsequently whats good for the team then you are screwed. But take a look at it from this standpoint -- if that was what happened in the NFL we would never have gotten Drew Brees and we would be stuck with an over the hill recently oft injured Joe Horn. -- Deuce should restructure his contract cause after consecutive knees injuries and surgeries he may not be the same player. I would, however, think that they would load a bunch of monetary incentives his way in case he comes back strong --

The Saints have two contracts right now that are major problems and need to addressed. One is with the newly signed Charles Grant and other is my one favorite players, Deuce McAllister.

Grant can't get to the QB, one the reasons he got that seven year, $63 million contract with $20 guaranteed. Don't you wish the Saints could just go and sign somebody like Jared Allen(15.5 sacks in 2007) for around the same cash to pair up with Will Smith? I don't have time to list all the Saints who had more sacks than Grant in 2007. Move him to DT or off the Team. Hey, Tampa... Do you still want him?

Deuce has my respect, he is a soldier. The truth is he hasn't been able to stay healthy and since Bush is NOT an every-play RB, we need someone. He needs to take a pay cut and get back to form, since the Saints can't trade or cut him.

I really like Pierre Thomas, too bad Payton didn't watch what he did in the pre-season games and didn't give him a start until the last game of the season. Do you think he watched that game against the Bears?

Also, if someone can mail Sean Payton some footage of Bush in college where Pete Carroll used him correctly, that would be great.
icon14.gif

- Albi

Stop looking at the $63million number. IT IS SMOKE AND MIRRORS!!! Grant got $20million and its only costing the Saints $2.857million/yr for the next 7 yrs (plus whatever his base is, probably somewhere around $800k).
So if one of your starting DEs is counting approx. $3.7million on the cap i'd say thats not so bad. REMEMBER, THE TEAMS LOOK AT HIS SALARY FROM A SALARY CAP STANDPOINT.

Grant won't see $40million of that money, and he already knows it.

OK, but what about Deuce? He got hurt on the job....

Here's an example of how it works both ways......

1. Deuce gets hurt on the job and will either have to take a paycut or he will get cut, never seeing the backend of his contract that he and the team signed. It would appear at first glance that Deuce is getting screwed. But, you could easily argue that the Signing Bonus is his "REAL" paycheck and all of the checks he recieves as his contract plays out are just bonuses........wierd, but that is really the way it works.

2. Another instance is when Jerome Bettis had a season-ending knee injury at his home during the off-season, so instead of telling the team and getting cut, which he said he thought they would do, he pretended he wasn't injured until one day in Training Camp when he faked the injury so he couldn't get cut and the team put him on IR. So, he continued to get paid and played the system very well.

Who's right and who's wrong? One player seems to get screwed by the league, the other seems to screw the league.......:dunno:

Deuce should restructure his contract cause after consecutive knees injuries and surgeries he may not be the same player. I would, however, think that they would load a bunch of monetary incentives his way in case he comes back strong --

Thats a really good point 4saintspirit. I think Deuce would restructure for a reasonable price. If he does so and he plays well this season and meets some statistical goals then the Saints should give him some incentives. Kinda a You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours scenario.

orgeron just needs to get Grant's fat *** in a gym and lose some weight and gain some speed to rush the passer with, same goes for will smith. Both of them look liked they gained a ton of weight and lost much of their speed

they don't need to become like dwight freeney who is all speed and no power, but both need to drop a bit of weight

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom