Charles Grant and Deuce (1 Viewer)

here is a question I asked last offseason not long after he signed the contract: I'll paiste the thread from that time which had some pretty good points back and forth for some reflection. http://saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31014

Grant got paid so we should expect...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

his best year to date or at least close to it right?
He's getting compensated for his body of work up this point sure, but isn't it reasonable to expect him to be at his best?

I hope to see double digit sacks and at least 60 tackles.

Is that unreasonable?

Not that this applies to his situation, but too many times players cash in and then check out.

Stop looking at the $63million number. IT IS SMOKE AND MIRRORS!!! Grant got $20million and its only costing the Saints $2.857million/yr for the next 7 yrs (plus whatever his base is, probably somewhere around $800k).
So if one of your starting DEs is counting approx. $3.7million on the cap i'd say thats not so bad. REMEMBER, THE TEAMS LOOK AT HIS SALARY FROM A SALARY CAP STANDPOINT.

Grant won't see $40million of that money, and he already knows it.

:worthy: :worthy: Exactly. Charles Grant's base salary for 2008 is $750K. I fail to see the major problem here.

Dude got a 12 million dollar signing bonus, and is the closest thing this D has to a leader, besides Fujita. He had a horrible year. Now some of that was due to injury, but no matter what he put on a bunch of weight and under-performed. I hoped for more from the 2 DE's. Especially since we both argued that they were the best tandem in the league last year.

I can't wait for Will Smith and Marques Colston to get their extentions, have a bad year/get injured and read about 1000 threads on how we need to get rid of them or see their salaries plastered all over the internet with the question, "Did they earn it?"

/sarcasm on

I thought what your signing bonus is(divided by years) is what count..so if the bonus is 2.857 million per year that is what counts toward the cap...if he is cut the 750k dont matter....2.857 mil does!

I thought what your signing bonus is(divided by years) is what count..so if the bonus is 2.857 million per year that is what counts toward the cap...if he is cut the 750k dont matter....2.857 mil does!
Partly right. The guaranteed money is pro-rated over the life of the contract for cap purposes. If he is cut before the contract expires, the remaining money accelerates and counts against the cap immediately. Here's an example.

You sign a player to a 5 year contract with $10MM in a signing bonus and a base salary of $1MM per year (total value of the contract is $15MM). His cap number is $3MM every year. But if he is cut after two seasons, his cap number will be $6MM for that year. There are some games you can play, such as declaring him a June 1 cut, that allow you to spread that out a little but that's the basic idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom