Charles Grant (1 Viewer)

Deuuuuce

So much 4 being rusty
Reaction score
Obviously the FO made a huge commitment to Grant last offseason, and one year in it's no secret that it hasn't paid off at all.

I believe in investing in linemen, and I understand why the FO made it priority to lock him up, but the fact is this guy has GOT to have a much greater impact than he did last year. Alot of our problems on defense stemmed from Grant's subpar play especially on third downs. There were stretches in games and sometimes entire games as a whole where Grant was completely taken out of the picture by mediocre offensive linemen. We can not afford this again next season.

I think that adding Mccray will help Grant out alot. It will give Grant the opportunity to take an occasional breather on obvious passing situations and it will also allow him to line up inside where he could use his speed and quickness to beat opposing guards. There is no reason Grant should not have atleast 8-10 sacks next season. I don't want to hear the whole sacks are overrated argument either. While I agree with that statement, Grant is paid large bucks to impact the game, and sacks are a way that he can make a very big impact.

Anyways, what is the status of him right now. I heard he got in to some off the field troubles a couple of months ago. What kind of shape is he in? Needless to say this is a very big year for him, and if he doesn't produce we probably won't go very far.

I think alot of people want to blame guys like David, Bush, Peyton for last season's woes, but the play of Grant was by far the biggest disapointment for me considering he's paid Drew Brees bucks to make an impact on the other side of the ball.

How many years has he been in the league now? 6? There are no excuses.

in charles's defense he was hurt and played hurt for most of the season. his production in the pass rush game should improve with the signing of mccray. i was disappointed in his performance as well, but life goes on.

Grant's sack numbers have been down since the 2005 season, which, if I recall correctly, is the year he switched from the right side to the left after Darren Howard left. But in his defense, he was always ranked in the top 5 in the NFC for total tackles for DL-men until last year when he was ranked 18th.

I don't doubt he's a good player. I know he's a good player. I guess I doubt that he was worth the contract he recieved last offseason. He has had some good years with the Saints, but now more than ever we can't afford him to lay eggs.

I hope his performance was due to injury last year, but to me he just looked out of shape...He wore down late in games and he didn't show the motor I'm used to seeing.

I don't doubt he's a good player. I know he's a good player. I guess I doubt that he was worth the contract he recieved last offseason. He has had some good years with the Saints, but now more than ever we can't afford him to lay eggs.

I hope his performance was due to injury last year, but to me he just looked out of shape...He wore down late in games and he didn't show the motor I'm used to seeing.

Would someone please come up with an original idea like switching DHenderson to CB or going to a 3 4 D?

Didn't anyone tell you that we stunk against the run in 06 and that our strategy was to shore that up with Grant playing disciplined containment while our "improved" DB corps kept us from giving up the big pass? Guess not.

Would someone please come up with an original idea like switching DHenderson to CB or going to a 3 4 D?

Didn't anyone tell you that we stunk against the run in 06 and that our strategy was to shore that up with Grant playing disciplined containment while our "improved" DB corps kept us from giving up the big pass? Guess not.

Yeh, I'm sure that was the strategy on third and longs, when we stunk the most last season. Don't think so.

We did better against the run last year, but at the expense of the passing game. Now that we are better in that respect with our newest additions, we should improve overall, not to mention whomever we draft might make a good impact this year. We're going to dominate this year, I feel it. WHO DAT!!!!

We did better against the run last year, but at the expense of the passing game. Now that we are better in that respect with our newest additions, we should improve overall, not to mention whomever we draft might make a good impact this year. We're going to dominate this year, I feel it. WHO DAT!!!!

Hope you're right. I just hope everyone can get healthy and stay healthy for the whole season.

this poor horse has been beaten way beyond death

this poor horse has been beaten way beyond death

Sorry, but I dont think it has been. Maybe if you read my post you would have seen me pose a question concerning Grant's current status. I wasn't just trying to bash him. Just trying to get a guage on what the latest was on him because I think he has a very big role on the team, a much bigger one then say Josh Bullocks, Roman Harper, or Jason David, but I don't see nearly as much discussion about him or Mccray for that matter.

I think Mccray was brought in specifically because of Grant's poor play last season, and the FO made it priority to get him some help.

Anyways, thanks for your awesome contribution to the thread. You probably killed it.

If we had a DT that actually could get pressure on the QB up the middle, you would see Grant and even Smith looking at double digit sacks. all opposing QBs have to do is step one or two steps into the pocket and both DEs are washed out of the play. Our DEs are asked to play run first, which means they generally take longer routes to the QB to contain outside running plays. Which would still result in sacks more often with an inside presence to pressure up the middle so the QB has no where to go.

I wasn't happy giving all that money to Grant, but when nobody was available in FA this year I got over it. The Best DE on the market was Justin Smith, who had 2 sacks last year.

Grant still plays the run great and had a great game in playoffs against the Eagles in 2006, so that probably sealed the deal on his contract in New Orleans. I was loving Grant that game and didn't want him to go, especially when I heard Tampa was interested.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom