Charles Grant's surgeries this offseason (1 Viewer)

So this explains his whopping 1 sack from day one until October 27th? He got paid (aka lazy) and will continue to be a non-factor in the D-line pass rush. A defensive end in a 4-3 that doesn't rush the passer well..great another year of 3 DTs and will smith on our line.

It seems we were more decimated with injuries than the team let on last year, considering this and Bush, and both players had sub-par years. I wonder if Jason David was playing with a broken Leg;).

It seems we were more decimated with injuries than the team let on last year, considering this and Bush, and both players had sub-par years. I wonder if Jason David was playing with a broken Leg;).

David was playing with a broken brain. i think he was mentally constipated.

If this is the Truth, then it 100% explains Grant's horrible year. No player can explode with a torn ligament. Shows toughness and character. Wouldn't quit playing. Toughness. Never let it be an excuse. Character. I hope you have a great year C Grant

So this explains his whopping 1 sack from day one until October 27th? He got paid (aka lazy) and will continue to be a non-factor in the D-line pass rush. A defensive end in a 4-3 that doesn't rush the passer well..great another year of 3 DTs and will smith on our line.

Grant is not lazy.

He was our fighter when we didn't have one, a couple years ago.

Smith is our pass rusher, not Grant.

Last year one or the other was injured for like 6 weeks, and the D looked bad.

Lazy? Watch it succa.

ddd

Grant was fat and way out of shape before the year started. While the ankle injury was not the best thing for him, the all you can eat training he has been on certainly hasn't helped

Say what?

He was fat and out of shape after TC?

And "the all you can eat training he has been on certainly hasn't helped "

Tell me more about that, expound (love that word) on your statement for me.

ddd

Grant is not lazy.

He was our fighter when we didn't have one, a couple years ago.

Smith is our pass rusher, not Grant.

Last year one or the other was injured for like 6 weeks, and the D looked bad.

Lazy? Watch it succa.

ddd

Grant was good....a couple of years ago. I'm talking about today forward. His pass-rushing skills have diminished. The stats don't tell the whole story, but they don't lie. In order for a 4-3 to work well, BOTH ends have to be able to put on some sort of pass rush. I agree, Smith does a great all-around job (run stopping AND pass rushing) and Grant does "a" job (run stopping). If we had another two-way end like Smith, it would alleviate the need for a stud WLB.

D-lineman who stop the run are called DTs not DEs. What we have right now are 3 DTs (Hollis, Young, Grant) and 1 DE (Smith). With that contract, I think the Saints were expecting Grant to fine-tune his pass rushing skills, which, for the part of the season prior to injury, he did not display.

anyone know where we can find a good replacement for grant since hes just an average player?

and then can anyone find another player to fill the emotional leadership hole (as stated by payton and brees)?

i love how saints fans want to throw a guy around after one bad season, yet we have people fighting tooth and nail for bullocks.

Wow, someone having offseason surgery in January instead of mid March..what a brilliant idea.

I think the sacks will come aplenty this year considering Grant, Smith and McCray, assuming they all stay healthy and we get some infusion of young talent in the middle. I'm a big Grant fan and hopefully he bounces back with a great year.

Grant was good....a couple of years ago. I'm talking about today forward. His pass-rushing skills have diminished. The stats don't tell the whole story, but they don't lie. In order for a 4-3 to work well, BOTH ends have to be able to put on some sort of pass rush. I agree, Smith does a great all-around job (run stopping AND pass rushing) and Grant does "a" job (run stopping). If we had another two-way end like Smith, it would alleviate the need for a stud WLB.

D-lineman who stop the run are called DTs not DEs. What we have right now are 3 DTs (Hollis, Young, Grant) and 1 DE (Smith). With that contract, I think the Saints were expecting Grant to fine-tune his pass rushing skills, which, for the part of the season prior to injury, he did not display.

Some good points there, BR.

I don't know that Grant was ever a great pass rusher, so "His pass-rushing skills have diminished" gives me a pause.

In a 4-3 the O will generally (folks this is very general to keep it short) line up a TE. This is generally done on Grant's side, because if they run it, they will go that side, behind their TE, best run-blocking OT and maybe a lead back. They let the pass rusher (Smith) get pushed wide, out of the play on the other side.

Grant has to cover the offensive strong side of the field, because the blocker will go for the LB if they can fake Grant out. (i.e. let him rush, and blow on by)

I'm getting too long winded, and there is so much left to say. I'll stop.

ddd

I love these discussssuions. Lets just hold out hope that C Grant will have a great year with the disappointment of last year and added help on the D. Personally I am going to stay positive because it isn't like Grant hasn't showed us in the past that he can play at a high level. Now if he were Sulli and never showed anything then I would be a pessimistic as many of you are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom