Charlie Rangel (D-NY) Calls for a Draft (and more!) (1 Viewer)

Assuming it would have been spent that way, a dubious proposition. Odds are the Iraq money would have gone to a Florida retiree and not to an eager pre-K student. In a $12 trillion annual GDP, a yearly Iraq expenditure of $200 billion is readily affordable. What isn't affordable is stupidity, which is the province of government. Take Katrina, for example. Millions spent for levees by government, monies used for airports and fountains. city floods; what do we do? Ask for more government.

Do not assume your wish list is the opportunity cost alternative. I've a bridge to Alaska to build, and there's a lien on your wallet.

Assuming it would have been spent that way, a dubious proposition.
100% in agreement - the author of the site chose to list it that way for reasons that are apparent to most. I failed to point this out and thanks to your for doing so.

Odds are the Iraq money would have gone to a Florida retiree and not to an eager pre-K student.
Maybe, maybe not. It could have been given to Israel or Eqypt as well (another sore spot for me). Fact is it would have been given away in a most wastefull government way.

In a $12 trillion annual GDP, a yearly Iraq expenditure of $200 billion is readily affordable.
We definitely part ways on this one Jim. Yes, from a pure numbers point it is a minor [yearly] expenditure but how much of the $12 trillion economy is borrowed/printed money? The numbers are made up and in no way will I will be influenced to believe the taxpayers can continue footing spending this way (admittedly I am mixing a few issue here which is what you address below). But we are talking Billions here (millions per day) with no end in sight.

What isn't affordable is stupidity, which is the province of government. Take Katrina, for example. Millions spent for levees by government, monies used for airports and fountains. city floods; what do we do? Ask for more government.
Agreed...a little more palatible since spending is occuring inside our borders. The wasteful method appalls me however.

Do not assume your wish list is the opportunity cost alternative..
Hardly do I assume this - just failed to clarify my understanding of the data presented.

I've a bridge to Alaska to build, and there's a lien on your wallet.
Can you compete with Young? I hear he is pretty good about building roads/bridges in Alaska enabled each time you and I fill up at the pump..

Last edited by a moderator:
...after all, it worked for the Soviet Union for over half a century.

Pardon my ignorance, but don't the Israeli's do this? I seem to remember Ms. Universe a few years ago getting a special exemption to put her service off for a year to so that she could be Ms. Universe for a year.

For the record, I don't see Americans going for it, but I can think of far worse things this government is currently doing than forcing people to appreciate living in America by serving in the Military, Peace Corps, Homeland Security, etc.

Maybe we should just ban people of certain races or income levels to even out the class and race of the military.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom