Charlie Ward QB FSU (1993 Heisman) (1 Viewer)

BELOWSEALEVEL

Almost Heaven :o)
Reaction score

I really wish this guy would have chosen the
NFL over the NBA.
His footwork was amazing.
Great arm, accurate by laser or touch.
Just figured I'd throw an off topic thread on the board today.
Makes me wonder where Major Harris would fit in
today's game. A duel threat style the NFL wasn't interested in at the time. Was drafted in the 12th Rd.
Lol....video has throwback highlight music.

Charlie is also a good dude. I was lucky enough to get to know him while in grad school. He was pure as driven snow then and remains that way today. he was recently a HS coach in my town and it was nice to run into him around town and to see how little his personality had actually changed.

For what it's worth, he made the right decision. 10 years in the NBA was far better for him that struggling to be a 3rd string QB and I will tell that for being 6'1 - maybe a little taller, he's not a big guy. He played constantly banged up in college and likely would have been killed in the NFL.

I remember thinking the same thing selfishly. He made the right decision though. Financially he made more money in the NBA than he would have seen in the NFL during that time period. Heck, even now, but definitely then. He would have had to fight to see the field as a QB due to the stereotypes that were more prominent during that time. Plus, like DTC said, the protections for QBs were not there.

Charlie is also a good dude. I was lucky enough to get to know him while in grad school. He was pure as driven snow then and remains that way today. he was recently a HS coach in my town and it was nice to run into him around town and to see how little his personality had actually changed.

For what it's worth, he made the right decision. 10 years in the NBA was far better for him that struggling to be a 3rd string QB and I will tell that for being 6'1 - maybe a little taller, he's not a big guy. He played constantly banged up in college and likely would have been killed in the NFL.
Ironically I’m a huge fsu fan. Long story for another day lol. My first fsu game at fsu was the Miami game. Charlie’s senior year and Warrick Dunn and Ray the Slasher Lewis freshman year. Till this day it was the only time I was awe struck as I got to meet Bobby Bowden walking into Doak hours before the game and I remember it like it was yesterday and he was everything you hear about him, classy-well spoken good ole devout country boy. I watched every single game Charlie Ward started and he was never really banged up so I don’t know where you are getting that from as he got rid of the ball with the quickness and had some wheels to avoid rushes and threw as accurate a ball as you will ever see in college football. A lot of people don’t know that Charlie also mentored Warrick after the tragic senseless killing of his mother and when he visited fsu just weeks after Charlie said if he came to fsu he wanted him to be his roommate and the rest is fsu history. Great football player and even better human being and the type of guy you would be proud to have your daughter bring home and ironically Warrick Dunn is cut from a similar clothe.

Living near Tally at the time I got to see Charlie play a few times. He was really special. But like dtc said I think if he chose the NFL his career would have been really short. At the time I don’t think the NFL was as welcoming to a QB like Charlie. If he played today it would be more interesting.

As a big knicks fan at the time I kinda wished he’d have chosen football also

Seriously though, in retrospect Ward was the BPA when the Knicks picked. Go back and look at the draft who was picked after him and make a case they would have been significantly better.

Or mabye the MLB? He was also drafted by the Yankees

He must be in a small group of people that could have theoretically played in three of the "Big Four" North American sports.

He didn’t play hockey?

Ironically I’m a huge fsu fan. Long story for another day lol. My first fsu game at fsu was the Miami game. Charlie’s senior year and Warrick Dunn and Ray the Slasher Lewis freshman year. Till this day it was the only time I was awe struck as I got to meet Bobby Bowden walking into Doak hours before the game and I remember it like it was yesterday and he was everything you hear about him, classy-well spoken good ole devout country boy. I watched every single game Charlie Ward started and he was never really banged up so I don’t know where you are getting that from as he got rid of the ball with the quickness and had some wheels to avoid rushes and threw as accurate a ball as you will ever see in college football. A lot of people don’t know that Charlie also mentored Warrick after the tragic senseless killing of his mother and when he visited fsu just weeks after Charlie said if he came to fsu he wanted him to be his roommate and the rest is fsu history. Great football player and even better human being and the type of guy you would be proud to have your daughter bring home and ironically Warrick Dunn is cut from a similar clothe.

All that's true except that Charlie was constantly banged up.

He would look like warmed over death at 8am on a Monday and not because he was drinking. If I had to bet he wasn't 170 pounds. I believe even the national championship game he was hurt and he sat out at least one game when Kanell played.

All that's true except that Charlie was constantly banged up.

He would look like warmed over death at 8am on a Monday and not because he was drinking. If I had to bet he wasn't 170 pounds. I believe even the national championship game he was hurt and he sat out at least one game when Kanell played.
Not trying to be a prick but Ward never missed a game in his last two years which he started every game. He literally never even sat for a single play cause of a injury. The 93 National championshiop which was the first in fsu history, yes he was beat up as Nebraska defense was bringing the house and the o line was playing like dog ?. Also one thing that nobody has brought up is that Charlie was a very honest human being and told everyone if he wasn’t selected in the first round to not even bother drafting him as he was gonna go to the nba. Saints were one of many interested in picking him in the second round.

Not trying to be a prick but Ward never missed a game in his last two years which he started every game. He literally never even sat for a single play cause of a injury. The 93 National championshiop which was the first in fsu history, yes he was beat up as Nebraska defense was bringing the house and the o line was playing like dog ?. Also one thing that nobody has brought up is that Charlie was a very honest human being and told everyone if he wasn’t selected in the first round to not even bother drafting him as he was gonna go to the nba. Saints were one of many interested in picking him in the second round.
I stand corrected as he missed one game against putrid Maryland before the first espn game day of all time when fsu played at Notre Dame. I feel old just writing this lol.

Major Harris would of been a first rounder today easily. He was a good passer and good runner. Back then there weren't many opportunity for quarterbacks coming out of college to develop fully like it is today. Either you were ready or not. Speaking of Ward, was he ever drafted? I mean he did make the right decision because he had a pretty decent career in the NBA. I remember a guy name Gino Torreta that was a Heismann winner but never panned out.

Note: Renaldo Turnbull sighting in the video.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom