Charlton Heston RIP (1 Viewer)

Because people are complex, it's difficult to sandbag them into a particular category. Heston's marching with the Kennedys and King, and his work on behalf of civil rights (he led efforts to desegregate restaurants in OKC in 1961) came as a shock to the Democratic Underground, which on the whole is rejoicing at his death.

Larger than life guy. Great actor.

Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments (he got all the good Jewish parts :hihi:), Omega Man, Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green all remain as top personal favorites.

From this "liberal," whatever that means, RIP big fella.

One of my favorite Heston movies was the Orson Welles film "Touch of Evil," in which Heston plays a Mexican police officer. It's something to see if you can catch it on video or AMC/TCM on TV.

sjff_01_img0501.jpg

RIP to a great actor and gentleman. He was a pure class act.

I will always remember how Michael Moore blindsided Heston in an interview he (Moore) used in Bowling for Columbine. Moore proved to be a jerk, and Heston handled himself with dignity.

One of my favorite Heston movies was the Orson Welles film "Touch of Evil," in which Heston plays a Mexican police officer. It's something to see if you can catch it on video or AMC/TCM on TV.

sjff_01_img0501.jpg

It always kills me when I see Chuck Heston cast in ethnic roles. But he pulled it off, too.

I can't believe no one has mentioned his role as New Orleans Saints quarterback Cat Catlan in "Number One."

m223203.jpg

If there's one moment I'd like to forget...what a stinker of a movie.

In truth, though, I can't think of many films in which he starred that were bad movies (ok, yes, he was in Earthquake and Airport '75, but I said not many). He was not only an excellent actor, he was good at picking scripts!

Some favourites films not yet mentioned:

The Agony and the Ecstasy
(Trivia: Rex Harrison went out and had platform shoes made because he felt Heston was using his height advantage to steal the screen from him - :crazy2: )

The Three Musketeers; The Four Musketeers
(what fun films and he proved he was equally adept as a great villain as Richelieu)

The Call of the Wild

Khartoum
(alongside Sir Laurence Olivier)

Major Dundee
(alongside Richard Harris)

The Avenging Angel
(A TV movie in which he played Brigham Young, though in this script it was a short part)

OK, I'm stopping. There are too many. What a career he had.

Dude was an outstanding actor, in an age where special effects was far off, or not so great, dude was the special effects.

RIP to one of the last, true Movie Stars.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom