Charlton Heston RIP (1 Viewer)

purvis_guy

Victim of Laughing Chance
Reaction score
He's made of PEOPLE! PEOPLE!

Bummer for the Omega Man.

While he is most well known these days as a conservative, here are some things most did not know about his early politics:
"Most famous today for his role as President of the National Rifle Association, Charlton Heston has been a political activist for many years. And, it may be surprising to some, all of his causes have not been associated with the ideological right-wing. Heston marched with Martin Luther King, Jr. on Washington as the leader of the arts contingent in the struggle for equal rights for people of all races, creeds and colors, as he often (rightfully) recalls with pride. At one time, after the assassinations of President Kennedy, King, and Robert Kennedy, Heston even lobbied for gun control (he now says he was misguided). Heston also served as the President of the Screen Actors Guild from 1966 to 1971. Today, Heston acts as a self-declared moving target for the media, championing his mostly conservative causes despite a massive backlash from the liberal community."

charlton_heston2.jpg

Despite some controversy in his later years, Heston was in many ways the essence of the golden age of Hollywood in an age where the industry was changing from a conservative slant to a more challenging provactive era where it remains today in many ways. Heston through out all this maintained an identity that dared to be original, and yet defining. He was the actor who was everything and yet himself at the same time. Thank you for a good life well lived Mr. Heston, You are a true American hero and a pioneer of the art of cinema.
Hollywood has lost a big time voice tonight and maybe its most elegant

When I worked in news radio, I covered a GOP fundraiser at a dude ranch outside Justin, TX in February 2000. Heston was the keynote speaker that evening. Although he was getting up in years, his voice was still in top form. One of the bullet points in his speech that evening was political correctness, which he labelled "tyranny with manners". Needless to say, once he left the event, I left soon afterwards. Nothing and no one could follow him.

He lived a rich and full life, in film and in activism. Charlton Heston was a man who wasn't afraid to swim against the tide. He wasn't afraid to be himself in a Hollywood that was at loggerheads with his core beliefs. RIP.

I can't believe no one has mentioned his role as New Orleans Saints quarterback Cat Catlan in "Number One."

m223203.jpg

The original Planet of the Apes is one of my favorites. Sad to see him go.

:important:

1291306909_13bfa5e12e.jpg

Like most arch-conservatives, he was pretty much out of his mind, but that's okay with me in his case. Damn you apes. :17:

TPS

He was an iconic Hollywood figure. Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments. Airport 1975, Planet of the Apes, were just a few of his memorable roles. He also had the ability to laugh at himself (see his cameo of the "good actor" in 'Wayne's World'). RIP Chuck.

El Cid was filmmaking at its awesomest. Don't forget, he played Andrew Jackson in "The Buccaneer". RIP

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom