Charting the Offensive Line vs Texans (1 Viewer)

TBK

Pro-Bowler
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Good afternoon Saints Report! I'm continuing my project at Canal Street Chronicles to chart the performance of every offensive and defensive lineman on every snap.

I've got the offensive line results up here. I'll be getting the defensive line charting posted in the next day or so. You can find their results from the first week of preseason on my author page on the website.

Thanks for reading! What are your thoughts on the OL moving forward?

If Turner starts where does he play?

Switch Peat to LG?

If Turner starts where does he play?

Switch Peat to LG?
I would keep Peat at RG. Seriously. Let the man stay there and get better at one position already. They're totally screwing this guy's brain up.

Try everyone available at LG. What happened to Kelemete? He did pretty well at LG last year.
At the very least, I'd give Turner a shot with the starters at LG.

I'm not super knowledgable about the O-Line, so I try not too weigh in too much about specific players, but based on this grade-out system, Lelito is even worse than I thought!

Dude is routinely on the ground. That is never good.

What are your thoughts on the OL moving forward?

That people are overreacting. A lot. One way or another, this is going to end up being a good OL. We have consistently had good O-lines since SP became coach. With the same exact players last year, it was a good line. So I really don't understand why everybody's freaking out.

It seems like with Armstead getting healthier and getting more snaps, the Saints are starting to hone Peat in at RG. I just wish they'd fully commit to Peat at RG and let someone else play LT in the pre-season, even if it means giving Brees less snaps.

Keep Peat at on the right. His future w the Saints is probably at RT. I don't know why we switched him to LT one Armstead went out. Pete needs the RG reps badly. I would've left him at RG and put Kelemente or Hills at 2nd LT. Both have played there before.

With Lelito playing so poorly, maybe you let Turner & Kelemente battle it out at LG the next two games. May the best man win.

That people are overreacting. A lot. One way or another, this is going to end up being a good OL. We have consistently had good O-lines since SP became coach. With the same exact players last year, it was a good line. So I really don't understand why everybody's freaking out.

Absolutely. And this unofficially confirms what I saw when re-watching the game. Peat did decent at RG (not great, just decent). More time focusing on just RG should solidify that spot for him.

Lelito didn't play well at all, and was the weakest link on the oline.

Unger under-performed. But I believe that had a lot to do with trying to compensate for the LG struggles.

If we can find someone consistent at LG and let Peat develop at RG, I believe we will be just fine, if not fairly decent.

Offensive line is not as bad as some people want to announce.

Landon Turner and Jack Allen need to make this team, all other interior lineman not named ungrr are 3rd stringers at best. We need to improve our dept on the offensive line; 1 injury to one of our starters and we could be in serious trouble.

Please keep in mind that Jadevon Clowney played all the way into the final minutes of the 3rd quarter. The saints had our starting unit out by the 2nd quarter.

The problem that I see at LG is that think both Peat and Turner are RGs. So who else can play LG? Maybe Allen, but I think he needs a year to get bigger.

Thank you for backing up my Peat observations at gurad vs tackle. He will make a fine guard, is playing too stiff to be a tackle. (Should hsve been a tight end or basketball player)

We should be able to hide some weakness at LG as long as Arnstead and Unger are healthy.

The problem that I see at LG is that think both Peat and Turner are RGs. So who else can play LG? Maybe Allen, but I think he needs a year to get bigger.

I think Kelemete, Turner and Allen have done the best, followed by Peat.

Allen has been the biggest surprise to me, because he is surprisingly strong, despite his size. I've seen him redirect many linemen one-on-one, and he does a good job at the second level and in space. He almost always finds someone to block, which is something that bugs me about most linemen. I think he's gotten some bad calls against him for the last 2 weeks. This week he got called for holding against Houston, but it looked like the lineman was tripping, and he pushed him down, then he kept going to find someone else to block. It seems that refs automatically call that as holding, but I didn't see a hold.

Turner surprised me too, because I kept hearing about his slow feet, yet he did well in pass blocking.

Kelemete has been quiet, but I think he's doing his job, and he also does a good job of finding someone to block in space.

Peat had looked bad at times, but good at others. Mostly I think he's hard to judge due to the constant movement.

Lelito has been bad in both pass blocking especially, but he seems to often miss blocks in run blocks too. He may be stronger than the others, but strength doesn't help if you can't maintain the block or even make a block.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom