Chase Hansen (1 Viewer)

For the sake of perspective, Demario ran a 4.61 at the combine.
There’s one reason people think Werner looks slow (or unathletic as it is sometimes stated). He’s going to be very solid.

I’m curious where the “4.6 is the average for an NFL LB” statement comes from? Has there been some analysis done on this?

I thought Nephi Sewell looked like an NFL LB. He moves with ease and he was very active.
Just research that is obtainable online. I’ll post the easiest to find. Combine results. I can’t currently find the other study I looked at last night. The only one I see popping up now is from 2013 lol.

I’ll find it later on when I have some time.

I will also attach a photo showing the average 40 times for the NFL LBs in the 2022 combine

Attachments

• 2EB97391-C97B-4732-9FE7-B1670EC8E43A.jpeg
    2EB97391-C97B-4732-9FE7-B1670EC8E43A.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 24
  • FA4DCE6C-72FC-4013-AA1B-EDD4354B5795.jpeg
    FA4DCE6C-72FC-4013-AA1B-EDD4354B5795.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Werner is not slow, and he plays faster than his 40 time b/c he diagnoses plays so well and gets in position early. He just has to heal up from that groin injury. He played like a bonafide starter in his rookie season and is only going to get better.

People still actually think a 40 time is that important for a LB? Quickness is way more important than straight line speed. Werner’s cone and shuttle and other quickness measurements are outstanding….this 40 time talk is really kind of worthless….

People still actually think a 40 time is that important for a LB? Quickness is way more important than straight line speed. Werner’s cone and shuttle and other quickness measurements are outstanding….this 40 time talk is really kind of worthless….
I view a linebacker’s 40 time as I do a safety’s. Sure a 4.4 or 4.3 40 would be great, but speed is less important than instincts. You can have Olympic sprinter speed, but if you don’t have the instincts you will always be playing catch-up. Meanwhile the guy with the instincts, who can keep his head on a swivel, he is the one who can run a 4.6 or 4.65 40, and still play at an All Pro level.

I view a linebacker’s 40 time as I do a safety’s. Sure a 4.4 or 4.3 40 would be great, but speed is less important than instincts. You can have Olympic sprinter speed, but if you don’t have the instincts you will always be playing catch-up. Meanwhile the guy with the instincts, who can keep his head on a swivel, he is the one who can run a 4.6 or 4.65 40, and still play at an All Pro level.
Yep. Exactly what l said referring to DD. He plays much faster than his 40 imo as he’s so instinctual.

Chase played amazing but we have a problem at LB, and that problem is not talent but speed. Beside Demario we are lacking in that area.

Warner Pro Day Scores​

Pro Day Date:03/30/21
40 Yard Dash:4.62 seconds
40 Yard (MPH):17.71 (MPH)
20 Yard Split:2.67 seconds
10 Yard Split:1.56 seconds
Bench Press:(N/A) reps (225 lb)
Vertical Leap:39.5 inches
Height:74.88 inches
Weight:238 lbs
Broad Jump:122 inches
Hand Size:9 inches
Arm Length:33.25 inches
20 Yd Shuttle:4.38 seconds
Three Cone:6.90 seconds
Davis
Combine Results

40 Yard Dash
Bench Press
Vertical Jump
Broad Jump
3 Cone Drill
20 Yd Shuttle
60 Yd Shuttle
So it would seem that physical attributes are similar. During camp so far most observers have said Warner’s instincts are good.

Last edited:
Agreed on Sewell. Also on the speed thing I think play speed in pads in game, can be much different than a 40 time. Also believe instincts correlate to speed, how quick they can diagnose and get to the play. Guess I’m trying to say DD plays much faster than his 4.61 imo. He’s explosive, instinctual and dynamic.
And with THAT!? Ur description of DD ='s how Football IQ > than speed @ The Combine! There's so much MORE than speed @ The LB position, 4 sure! A DB needs that closing speed to help N cutting off angles and under cutting routes for sure @ that position of DB? Speed KILLZ! Speed for an LB is important when covering those slants in front of you or those physical TEs who run routes around your area. In my judgement? Being more athletic , have some extraordinary hops to leap up for an INT or deflections is KEY as is quick feet and just being agile helps more than straight line speed! I may well be wrong in this assessment but I doubt it! I've seen the likes Ray Lewis excel, Troy Paulumalo(sp?) and even Ricky Jackson or
Lawrence Taylor beat EVERY opponent with mental astuteness, knowing that your JOB is to defeat whomever is between U & The ball carrier ! 'Nuff SAID! That's what counts! Knock the snot out of the other guy and look for the fumble, which is sure to come at some point! We saw a bit of a glimmer of that in Chase last night , fresh off of the couch and just following his instincts , like the truly GREAT ONES! We NEED strong LB'er players who somehow KNOW many "things"" about the opponent's tendencies, the players they are going against and how they may be exploited and The KEY to any GREAT LB'er who ever suited up? Destroy whomever is carrying the ball! Lock 'em up and bring 'em down as hard as any person on the Planet can do! That's one tall order to fill . Let's now see just how well Chase can keep his roll going as he goes against 1s (first teasers) and frankly ANYONE who comes into his zone or area! As far as Pete Werner is concerned? He must have shown The Coaches something special to move Mr. Legendary (Kwon Alexander) off 2 da jets! That was a surprise 2 this SAINTS FAN which we will have to wait a few more weeks to see just how well their judgement paid off or not!
Still, GREAT 2 C a returned face to Our "D" Line-up & have his show up in such an obvious mismatch between Chase and the hoooston boys team! We'd better have the depth needed at such an important position for The SAINTS! That way? The back end will KNOW their up front will B solid so they can exploit whomever is sent out into the harshest of Secondaries in the league!

And with THAT!? Ur description of DD ='s how Football IQ > than speed @ The Combine! There's so much MORE than speed @ The LB position, 4 sure! A DB needs that closing speed to help N cutting off angles and under cutting routes for sure @ that position of DB? Speed KILLZ! Speed for an LB is important when covering those slants in front of you or those physical TEs who run routes around your area. In my judgement? Being more athletic , have some extraordinary hops to leap up for an INT or deflections is KEY as is quick feet and just being agile helps more than straight line speed! I may well be wrong in this assessment but I doubt it! I've seen the likes Ray Lewis excel, Troy Paulumalo(sp?) and even Ricky Jackson or

Lawrence Taylor beat EVERY opponent with mental astuteness, knowing that your JOB is to defeat whomever is between U & The ball carrier ! 'Nuff SAID! That's what counts! Knock the snot out of the other guy and look for the fumble, which is sure to come at some point! We saw a bit of a glimmer of that in Chase last night , fresh off of the couch and just following his instincts , like the truly GREAT ONES! We NEED strong LB'er players who somehow KNOW many "things"" about the opponent's tendencies, the players they are going against and how they may be exploited and The KEY to any GREAT LB'er who ever suited up? Destroy whomever is carrying the ball! Lock 'em up and bring 'em down as hard as any person on the Planet can do! That's one tall order to fill . Let's now see just how well Chase can keep his roll going as he goes against 1s (first teasers) and frankly ANYONE who comes into his zone or area! As far as Pete Werner is concerned? He must have shown The Coaches something special to move Mr. Legendary (Kwon Alexander) off 2 da jets! That was a surprise 2 this SAINTS FAN which we will have to wait a few more weeks to see just how well their judgement paid off or not!
Still, GREAT 2 C a returned face to Our "D" Line-up & have his show up in such an obvious mismatch between Chase and the hoooston boys team! We'd better have the depth needed at such an important position for The SAINTS! That way? The back end will KNOW their up front will B solid so they can exploit whomever is sent out into the harshest of Secondaries in the league!
Lawrence Taylor was hyped up on cocaine and whatever wlse he could get ahold of and didnt feel a thing. plus... he was just a beast. not a valid comparison to any mere mortals.

You are ignoring or missing the point entirely….straight line speed and small space quickness are 2 completely different things….One is a nice to have, the other is critical in combination with instincts and field vision…..

40 time is a nice to have…..

Just research that is obtainable online. I’ll post the easiest to find. Combine results. I can’t currently find the other study I looked at last night. The only one I see popping up now is from 2013 lol.

I’ll find it later on when I have some time.

I will also attach a photo showing the average 40 times for the NFL LBs in the 2022 combine
Your second link says OLB average is 4.68 and ILB average is 4.72.

Played with a lot of desire. Good to see it.

But I wouldn’t mind a trade for Smith of the Bears. Easily our weakest position on the defense.
Smith is looking for a big pay day. We have too many young guys coming up to pay.

It would be an amazing fit but I just don’t think it’s realistic.

On WWL Mike D said they loved him when they brought him in originally but couldn’t stay healthy. Said his potential is higher than Werner if he stays healthy. Can cover and play sideline to sideline

On WWL Mike D said they loved him when they brought him in originally but couldn’t stay healthy. Said his potential is higher than Werner if he stays healthy. Can cover and play sideline to sideline
Oh wow. That’s high praise! He was old coming out of college lol.

Warner Pro Day Scores​

Pro Day Date:03/30/21
40 Yard Dash:4.62 seconds
40 Yard (MPH):17.71 (MPH)
20 Yard Split:2.67 seconds
10 Yard Split:1.56 seconds
Bench Press:(N/A) reps (225 lb)
Vertical Leap:39.5 inches
Height:74.88 inches
Weight:238 lbs
Broad Jump:122 inches
Hand Size:9 inches
Arm Length:33.25 inches
20 Yd Shuttle:4.38 seconds
Three Cone:6.90 seconds
Davis
Combine Results

40 Yard Dash
Bench Press
Vertical Jump
Broad Jump
3 Cone Drill
20 Yd Shuttle
60 Yd Shuttle
So it would seem that physical attributes are similar. During camp so far most observers have said Warner’s instincts are good.
I know you just didn't try to compare a 2 time All Pro LB to a second year player. I'm done.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom