Chase Young hype (1 Viewer)

Explosive edge rusher is the most valuable non-QB a team can have.

No one is a sure thing in the NFL, but he has the athleticism and the numbers. If he is not the first non-QB off the board, it would be a huge upset.

The only question, to me, is whether a team trades up to get a QB at #2. If not, then that's where Young goes--almost certainly to Washington.

What is the proper amount of hype for him?
I’ll play.
It’s been said that he’s a generational talent. I don’t think he is.

I believe he will be a very good player but not at all generational.

And you may hype him as much as you’d like, it matters not to me. It’s a message board. People will have differing views.

I’ll play.
It’s been said that he’s a generational talent. I don’t think he is.

I believe he will be a very good player but not at all generational.

And you may hype him as much as you’d like, it matters not to me. It’s a message board. People will have differing views.

Yes, I know how message boards work. You said he was overhyped so I wanted to know what you believed to be the proper amount of hype for him. You have answered. Well done!

Explosive edge rusher is the most valuable non-QB a team can have.

No one is a sure thing in the NFL, but he has the athleticism and the numbers. If he is not the first non-QB off the board, it would be a huge upset.

The only question, to me, is whether a team trades up to get a QB at #2. If not, then that's where Young goes--almost certainly to Washington.

Yep. He will be in Washington.

Yes, I know how message boards work. You said he was overhyped so I wanted to know what you believed to be the proper amount of hype for him. You have answered. Well done!

And you have managed to come across as condescending, as you always do. Well done! ?
ETA:
And combative.
Miserable combative and condescending. Your M.O.

I'm wondering what the right amount of hype would be for a physical specimen who record 27 sacks over the past two seasons as well as 35.5 tackles for loss. I mean, what more do you want?

As a prospect Young compares favorably to all the players being bandied about in this thread. NFL.com has him rated at a 7.37 out of 8. That's their "Perennial All Pro" grade. Here's how they had these guys rated:

Von Miller - 7.5
Myles Garret - 7.5
Jadaveon Clowney - 7.5
Bradley Chubb - 7.4
Chase Young 7.37
Khalil Mack - 7.0
Nick Bosa - 7.0
Joey Bosa - 6.72

The big ten is consistently known for being consistently terrible outside of Ohio State and a couple of other teams.
Every year.
Ohio State and every other team pretty much.
In fairness I should clarify:
The big ten has a lot of talent. It’s just a very top heavy conference imo.
Aside from the SEC, there isn't a conference out there with a consistently better pool of football teams than the Big 10. They are considered part of the Power 5 for a reason. Even the worst of the Power 5 would be an above average conference relative to the rest. Big 10 puts out as many competitive teams as the ACC and Big 12, so anyone calling the Big 10 terrible probably isolates themselves to the SEC. The Big 10 had 5 teams finish the season in the top 25 this past season, and here recently, having 3 or 4 in the top 10 has been commonplace for them. That is a rare feat for nearly every other other conference. Conference play aside though, you specifically mentioned Young's competition, which would be referencing Big 10 offensive lines. It doesn't get much better than Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State, and Michigan along the OL in any given year. Even the bottom feeder Big Ten schools put out quality blockers at a fair rate, they just don't have the athletes at the other positions. He even played against a very highly rated OL in their out of conference matchup with Washington and consistently went up against top talent in practice. I don't know what else you want in terms of game tape and performance comparisons.

Ohio State has been putting out studs all along the DL for years now. Even Hubbard got 8.5 sacks im the NFL this year, and he was considered one of their more average talents. If they're saying Young is the best prospect they've had at the position in a while, I think it's reasonable to say they've got a great basis for comparison. If not, you might as well disregard all these elite DB prospects Ohio State has had recently because their competition was just so "terrible".

Aside from the SEC, there isn't a conference out there with a consistently better pool of football teams than the Big 10. They are considered part of the Power 5 for a reason. Even the worst of the Power 5 would be an above average conference relative to the rest. Big 10 puts out as many competitive teams as the ACC and Big 12, so anyone calling the Big 10 terrible probably isolates themselves to the SEC. The Big 10 had 5 teams finish the season in the top 25 this past season, and here recently, having 3 or 4 in the top 10 has been commonplace for them. That is a rare feat for nearly every other other conference. Conference play aside though, you specifically mentioned Young's competition, which would be referencing Big 10 offensive lines. It doesn't get much better than Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State, and Michigan along the OL in any given year. Even the bottom feeder Big Ten schools put out quality blockers at a fair rate, they just don't have the athletes at the other positions. He even played against a very highly rated OL in their out of conference matchup with Washington and consistently went up against top talent in practice. I don't know what else you want in terms of game tape and performance comparisons.

Ohio State has been putting out studs all along the DL for years now. Even Hubbard got 8.5 sacks im the NFL this year, and he was considered one of their more average talents. If they're saying Young is the best prospect they've had at the position in a while, I think it's reasonable to say they've got a great basis for comparison. If not, you might as well disregard all these elite DB prospects Ohio State has had recently because their competition was just so "terrible".
That post made me think and realize that you’re right.
Awesome post and you’ve made me see the light on this take. I still don’t think Chase will be generational but I definitely need to re-think my erroneous feelings about the Big Ten being terrible.

I’ll say it again just in case. Young is the best pass rush prospect since Von Miller.

That post made me think and realize that you’re right.
Awesome post and you’ve made me see the light on this take. I still don’t think Chase will be generational but I definitely need to re-think my erroneous feelings about the Big Ten being terrible.
Gotta admit, I was not expecting this type of response. Thank you for being respectful, open minded, and considerate. I don't get to experience that kind of response very often, so you've made my day lol. I don't blame you for not buying into the hype. Players bust or fall short of expectations all the time.

Edit: *Check's date*...hey wait a minute...

Gotta admit, I was not expecting this type of response. Thank you for being respectful, open minded, and considerate. I don't get to experience that kind of response very often, so you've made my day lol. I don't blame you for not buying into the hype. Players bust or fall short of expectations all the time.

Edit: *Check's date*...hey wait a minute...

Lol I was being sincere.
And thank you for that well thought out post. Too often people want to get nasty with others who don’t agree with them. Your post laid out facts, without being condescending and or snide etc.

And you don’t see that too often on here or in the real world nowadays. But I digress....
Who Dat.

Conference play aside though, you specifically mentioned Young's competition, which would be referencing Big 10 offensive lines. It doesn't get much better than Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State, and Michigan along the OL in any given year. Even the bottom feeder Big Ten schools put out quality blockers at a fair rate, they just don't have the athletes at the other positions.

I was going to make this exact point. Say what you want about the Big Ten but by god they have some O linemen. The Rust Belt doesn't produce the skill guys it once did but it's still cranking out big dudes who can block.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom