Chat with Mel Kiper (1 Viewer)

Albi

- Future Hall of Famer -
Reaction score
I got this question into Mel after seeing everyone on this forum wanting to take Lofton with our #2 round pick...

Albi (Manhattan): What do you think of the Saints picking up Curtis Lofton in the second round?

sn2.gif
Mel Kiper: I think it would be a good move. The Saints need an LB. They need a big play LB. Curtis Lofton is a heckuva football player. Their LBs overall combined for just 5 sacks. I do like Lofton. CB is the No. 1 need, however. They need a topflight cover man. No question.

Even if we sign someone like Zach Thomas, this guy looks like a sleeper to me. The question is where are going to get our top flight CB? The draft doesn't really have a shutdown corner, so I say we sign one those top 3 (Samuel, Asomugha, Trufant) and draft the best defense player available in the first round. Spend some money on defense. Who knows what might fall into our lap at #10. I hope they get it right this year on defense, for once.

Kiper's use of the term "heckuva" in describing Lofton worries me.

lofton will be a top 20 pick
bank on it

lofton will be a top 20 pick
bank on it

why is every player the Saints fans want, other Saint fans think we cant get? is it that "nothing good ever happens to us" attitude?....if he is worth a top 20 selection though...why not grab him at 10 d3vanj?

Lofton is a 2nd round prospect, the only one that is a clear 1st round pick is Rivers...but guys like Lofton could slide into the 1st round, your right in terms of that d3vanj, but thats will be determinded after the combine.

This board will crash if Curtis Lofton is on the board in the second round and the Saints pick someone else.

This board will crash if Curtis Lofton is on the board in the second round and the Saints pick someone else.

;) LOL ......You better believe...everyone in Louisiana and Mississippi wants Lofton....this board would go into utter melt-down mode....

The problem is.....do the Saints FO feel as strongly about Lofton as us Saints fans? we always want certain players and convince ourselves there the right guys...but come draft day its always a different story.

why is every player the Saints fans want, other Saint fans think we cant get? is it that "nothing good ever happens to us" attitude?....if he is worth a top 20 selection though...why not grab him at 10 d3vanj?

Lofton is a 2nd round prospect, the only one that is a clear 1st round pick is Rivers...but guys like Lofton could slide into the 1st round, your right in terms of that d3vanj, but thats will be determinded after the combine.

just trust me, after the combine hell skyrocket to a top 20 pick
i want lofton just as much as the next guy, ive actually suggested, post-combine, if/when his draft stock skyrockets we grab him at 10, but not many people agree with me
if his stock doesnt rise then hell dont pick him and take your chances and see if hes there in the 2nd

I think the guy can only solidigy his spot as a early 2nd, late first rounders....his 40 time wont make him a top 10 pick (unless its a 4.3) a guy by the name of David Harris, pulled down a 4.5 and it just solidified him as a 2nd rounder....he went on to the Jets and made Vilma expendable.

this is just how i feel, i'm obviously not an expert or anything, just my opinion, so dont take any of this to heart.

i think lofton is better than rivers, just his instinct, tackling, play-making abilities, coverage, everything. im pretty sure he even runs a better 40 time than rivers, so why couldnt he be a first rounder

The problem is.....do the Saints FO feel as strongly about Lofton as us Saints fans? we always want certain players and convince ourselves there the right guys...but come draft day its always a different story.

If the Saints' brass felt the same way about players that we did, do you realize how many Super Bowls we would have won by now?

:9:

The strange thing is that every year the organization fails to get the players that fans want...... yet everyone jumps on the band wagon of sub par talent that is brought in. And we wonder why each year we're left holding our selves wondering why we didn't get any better that year.

It always amazes me how fans can judge talent..... then the professionals pass on them.... then we see these young guys play like studs. I'm hoping that we have a change in the Mickey Mouse thinking this year.

This regime passed on Deqwell Jackson, Demeco Ryans, and Paul Puz... I wouldnt be shocked if we pass on Lofton too...

We didn't pass on DeMeco. He went with the first pick of the 2nd round, one pick before our slot; after which we traded down for Faine and drafted Roman Harper. I'll take Harper alone over D'Qwell.

This regime passed on Deqwell Jackson, Demeco Ryans, and Paul Puz... I wouldnt be shocked if we pass on Lofton too...

While we did pass on Demeco (we picked Reggie at 2) We I can bet would have grabbed him in the 2nd if he was there. The Texans picked him first pick in the 2nd round and he went on to win DROY, we had the next pick so unless you think he should have gone 2 overall, i'm fine with that miss on our part.

Meachem over Poz dosen't look good now especially with the way our D played, and seeing how Meachem couldn't sniff the field. But the Jury is still out on that one, if Meachem earns the number 2 spot and can contribute this year I will forgive them for that one too.

And I can't recall much about Jackson, I am pretty sure he was the MLB from Maryland without looking it up. But I can't remember who we took over him to crucify us yet. But the other 2 no way we take Demeco at 2, and jury is out on Meachem > Poz altho if early indicators are a clue we lost on that one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom