Chat with Mel Kiper (1 Viewer)

I can't believe that a Saints question got answered by Mel Kiper.

I agree with him that CB is the number 1 need of the team and a big enough need that they can't leave it to chance in the draft.

As for Lofton he is a heckavu football player, but he needs a strong combine to get near us in the 1st.

I don't know that Poz is looking all that great considering that he has more in common with Dan Morgan right now than anyone else...

Poz had 26 tackles in 2+ games before he got hurt... he broke his forearm I think... had he played the whole season he would have been up there with Pat-Willy in tackles from the MLB spot.

My bad about Ryans... shouldn't have mentioned him because we really didn't have a shot at him unless we had jumped back in front of Houston.

Jackson was a good player at a need position at the time... he was the best at the MLB position on the board.

my whole point was that we passed on him. D'Qwell has 195 tackles in 27 games (7.22 tackles per game)... Roman Harper is loved on this board, but I'd take Jackson's production at the MIKE over Roman any day.

I got this question into Mel after seeing everyone on this forum wanting to take Lofton with our #2 round pick...

Albi (Manhattan): What do you think of the Saints picking up Curtis Lofton in the second round?

sn2.gif
Mel Kiper: I think it would be a good move. The Saints need an LB. They need a big play LB. Curtis Lofton is a heckuva football player. Their LBs overall combined for just 5 sacks. I do like Lofton. CB is the No. 1 need, however. They need a topflight cover man. No question.

Even if we sign someone like Zach Thomas, this guy looks like a sleeper to me. The question is where are going to get our top flight CB? The draft doesn't really have a shutdown corner, so I say we sign one those top 3 (Samuel, Asomugha, Trufant) and draft the best defense player available in the first round. Spend some money on defense. Who knows what might fall into our lap at #10. I hope they get it right this year on defense, for once.

A dream draft would be to get him with our 2nd round pick....he should move into the 1st after the combine though..... ;(

just trust me, after the combine hell skyrocket to a top 20 pick
i want lofton just as much as the next guy, ive actually suggested, post-combine, if/when his draft stock skyrockets we grab him at 10, but not many people agree with me
if his stock doesnt rise then hell dont pick him and take your chances and see if hes there in the 2nd

i do. id pick him at ten no doubt about it

Yeah, that's what Dan Morgan does. He starts the season in a tear, get injured and fans are left saying "Next year". I have watched Panthers fans doing for what seems like ages now. No thanks. It gets you nowhere.

This regime passed on Deqwell Jackson, Demeco Ryans, and Paul Puz... I wouldnt be shocked if we pass on Lofton too...

I have been wanting to draft a LB for so many years I lost count. We have passed on so many LBs since the start of the Jim Haslett Era that it makes me sick.

The last LB we got in the first round was Mark Fields in 1995, so maybe we should do it again. Too bad this draft doesn't even have any Blue-Chip LBs, since we are finally in the market for one. The name Mark Fields starts to make me think of all the players who have left us too early, most of Defense.

<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="oddrow"><td>
</td><td>
</td><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:
The strange thing is that every year the organization fails to get the players that fans want...... yet everyone jumps on the band wagon of sub par talent that is brought in. And we wonder why each year we're left holding our selves wondering why we didn't get any better that year.

It always amazes me how fans can judge talent..... then the professionals pass on them.... then we see these young guys play like studs. I'm hoping that we have a change in the Mickey Mouse thinking this year.

my point exactly!!! relying on veterans to win, who's only reason for being cut is because there skills are diminshing...yet the Saints always pick them up hoping to get the performance they gave at 25yrs old...only there 30-31yrs old...I wanna build a team up from the draft, i'm tried of always fishing for talent in free agency...we can pick our won players in the draft and we dont have millions for a player simply because of the stats he racked up on another team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom