Saints Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Please help me out here...

The more I look back at last season, the more I'm having a difficult time seeing a DOWN side to his play on the field:

- speed
- tackling
- anticipation
- raw strength
- pass coverage
- support in the box
- shedding blockers
- angle to the ball carrier
- knowing his assignment
- hands (deflecting passes)
- hands (making the interception)
- reacting & adjusting to the play as it develops

To say that we got a STEAL seems to be a big understatement.

Great video by WD4L!!! :9:

:gosaints:

Watching that video, the most noticeable thing about his play that stands out to me is that he is often making his break on the play (sometimes from very far away) before the offensive player even receives the ball or makes his last cut. He's reading where the player/ball is going before it even happens. That's the trait that separates great safeties from good ones.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find my old comments that I posted here right after we drafted him, however I wasn't surprised of his performance as a rookie. CGJ was elated for the opportunity but in his words ... "I'm gonna make all those teams FEEL it" .. referring to dropping down/overlooked so far down in the draft.

He's got great instincts, sound tackler, can CLOSE, has big play ability & hates to lose. Chauncey is only 22 years of age.

I'm old school and I see a young Brian Dawkins when I watch CGJ.

He's a dawg.

Look closely at timestamp 3:15 (open space tackle on Fournette) & 3:37 closing speed on Christian McCaffery. 4th down, get off the field. Both top tier RB's in our league.

Last edited:
I'm glad they didn't show the penalty at the end of the first game. :eek: Such a ticky tack call. :jpshakehead:

I like the player, a lot. If I was coaching DBs still, I'd point out that his feet can be a little too 'stuck in the mud' for my liking, while he reads the route or play in front of him. When he does determine the play, I think he's then a little slow to get those feet moving again.

His innate propensity to get around the ball is something you can't teach, though, and it will always give him a chance. And as others say, in terms of attitude and aggression, he seems to have the 'it' factor.

Watching that video, the most noticeable thing about his play that stands out to me is that he is often making his (sometimes from very far away) before the offensive player even receives the ball or makes his last cut. He's reading where the player/ball is going before it even happens. That's the trait that separates great safeties from good ones.
That is what made Sharper so phenomenal in 2009!! It is a knack, that you have. It cannot be coached. It is a natural ability of instinct.

That is what made Sharper so phenomenal in 2009!! It is a knack, that you have. It cannot be coached. It is a natural ability of instinct.

Yep. Some guys have it, some guys don't. When a guy has it you can throw height/weight/speed numbers out the window. Sammy Knight and Sharper weren't running a 4.3 but they were making plays because they could sense where they needed to be. Honey Badger is usually the smallest player on the field but he plays like a giant.

I'm sure DA has spent this offseason figuring out how to get the most out of CGJ. He's a unique player and I'm expecting him to have a larger role this season. The guy can do it all.

If only he learned to control himself on Twitter, esp when you’re a baby in the NFL and yes I’m talking about his criticism of one of the finest men EVER to play in the NFL.

In another thread I posted about the Chiefs being the only team that can beat the Saints. I change my mind. I completely wasn't thinking about CGJ in my analysis. With that in mind I think Mahommes will be forced into a couple of bad throws and CGJ will play like the ballhawk that he is.

I remember in college being impressed with his play.

those highlights make him look truly amazing. he never stops. now i'm curious to see film where he got burned/messed up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom