Saints Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (1 Viewer)

Bringing back Malcolm Jenkins IMO can only help CGJ's growth as they both played that Saftey/Nickel Back role.

Yeah I'm hoping Jenkins can pass along some of the finer points of the craft. And just thinking about the Xs and Os the two will be able to do a lot of the same things. Should be fun to watch them play together.

Help me understand, so to have "it" to be good, you are born with this "it"? What exactly is this "it"?

As far as I can see, this "it" isn't supernatural and you aren't born with some supernatural phenomenon that somehow only a handful if people have.

This "it" is 3 parts: (1) intelligence, (2) memory, (3) repetition, repetition and repetition.

For those out there wanting to understand this better, pick up the book, The Power of Habit.

I havent been this hyped about a player since we drafted Rankins. To me, Chauncey GJ is a more athletic & rangy version of Sammy Knight. But after seeing him actually play last season, im still sticking w/the Sammy Knight comp, but i also see elements of Brian Dawkins in his game as well. The kid a is a gamewrecker in the making!

I remember thinking when the Saints drafted him that I had heard that name somewhere before then I remembered the game he had against LSU his senior year at Florida............................he was like a heat seeking missile that day!!

Unlike Kenny Vaccaro who was the best player on a really bad defense at Texas Gardner-Johnson was the best player on a really good defense at Florida.

His rookie season didn't surprise me at all!!

I remember thinking when the Saints drafted him that I had heard that name somewhere before then I remembered the game he had against LSU his senior year at Florida............................he was like a heat seeking missile that day!!

Unlike Kenny Vaccaro who was the best player on a really bad defense at Texas Gardner-Johnson was the best player on a really good defense at Florida.

His rookie season didn't surprise me at all!!

I think Vaccaro got a bit of a bad rap w/ the Saints. No, he never became the superstar we hope he would be (based on his draft status), but he was a solid SS, and has stuck in the league as a starter his whole career.

CJGJ has a ton of potential, and it definitely flashed his rookie year.

Please help me out here...

The more I look back at last season, the more I'm having a difficult time seeing a DOWN side to his play on the field:

- speed
- tackling
- anticipation
- raw strength
- pass coverage
- support in the box
- shedding blockers
- angle to the ball carrier
- knowing his assignment
- hands (deflecting passes)
- hands (making the interception)
- reacting & adjusting to the play as it develops

To say that we got a STEAL seems to be a big understatement.

Great video by WD4L!!! :9:

:gosaints:

CGJ is a stud, and i knew it before he was even drafted.

You cant teach heart, and when a player has both talent and heart, it can be a special thing.

CGJ is going to be a very good player in this league for a long time!

Our FO just amazes me with their ability to evaluate talent with such high success.

You look at the rest of the league, and nobody else compares to the Saints Draft success since 2015.

I think that has a lot to do with their ability to evaluate, but also the world class coaching staff that we have, and their ability to get the most and develop our young players.

Anyone that doesn't think New Orleans is a World Class Orginization, is either Delusional, or has no idea what they are talking about.

New Orleans is the epitome of how you want your organization to be.

Man.... we have come a long way since BountyGate

Last edited:
CGJ is a stud, and i knew it before he was even drafted.

You cant teach heart, and when a player has both talent and heart, it can be a special thing.

CGJ is going to be a very good player in this league for a long time!

Our FO just amazes me with their ability to evaluate talent with such high success.

You look at the rest of the league, and nobody else compares to the Saints Draft success since 2015.

I think that has a lot to do with their ability to evaluate, but also the world class coaching staff that we have, and their ability to get the most and develop our young players.

Anyone that doesn't think New Orleans is a World Class Orginization, is either Delusional, or have no idea what they are talking about.

New Orleans is the epitome of how you want your organization to be.

Man.... we have come a long way since BountyGate

You had me till the end.

CGJ fell in the draft because of issues with consistency and the “tweener” status he was labeled with prior to the draft. He is on the small side for a Safety, and he doesn’t really fit the mold of a CB. He struggled with consistency as a tackler at Florida

Help me understand, so to have "it" to be good, you are born with this "it"? What exactly is this "it"?

As far as I can see, this "it" isn't supernatural and you aren't born with some supernatural phenomenon that somehow only a handful if people have.

This "it" is 3 parts: (1) intelligence, (2) memory, (3) repetition, repetition and repetition.

For those out there wanting to understand this better, pick up the book, The Power of Habit.

To me "it" is synonymous with instincts or nose for the ball. I haven't read anyone say it's something mystical yet. No one has suggested dark magic or witch craft. All I know is that some players have great instincts for the game of football. For whatever reason.

CGJ has the ability to be to the defense what Taysom Hill is to the offense. He can play all over the field, and do it all well. His only limiting factor is Dennis Allen's imagination. He doesn't back down from any person or situation. Its been described before that Taysom is a football player, CGJ is also a football player. Sky is the limit for this kid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom