Saints Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (2 Viewers)

You had me till the end.

I can see why you took it that way, I promise thats not the way I meant it lol.

What I meant was, the punishment handed down from goodell took a toll on the orginization, and left us.. to put it bluntly without a lot of talent. With the exception of Sean and Carmichael our coaching staff was average at best. We totally cleaned house and put forth a new MO. That was putting an emphasis on high character players and teachers at the coaching positions.

Thats what I meant by coming a long way since BountyGate

I havent been this hyped about a player since we drafted Rankins. To me, Chauncey GJ is a more athletic & rangy version of Sammy Knight. But after seeing him actually play last season, im still sticking w/the Sammy Knight comp, but i also see elements of Brian Dawkins in his game as well. The kid a is a gamewrecker in the making!
Troy Polamalu perhaps?

CGJ has the ability to be to the defense what Taysom Hill is to the offense. He can play all over the field, and do it all well. His only limiting factor is Dennis Allen's imagination. He doesn't back down from any person or situation. Its been described before that Taysom is a football player, CGJ is also a football player. Sky is the limit for this kid.
George Kittle does still own his soul, though. Let's be fair, the guy's an All Pro, so it's not a terrible thing.

I think Vaccaro got a bit of a bad rap w/ the Saints. No, he never became the superstar we hope he would be (based on his draft status), but he was a solid SS, and has stuck in the league as a starter his whole career.

CJGJ has a ton of potential, and it definitely flashed his rookie year.

KV played lights out his rookie year and made some great plays, then, it seems to me, they "coached him down" and he was never the same.

(Akin to when they forced AB to be a "pocket passer only".)

I hope they don't "coach down" CJGJ...

George Kittle does still own his soul, though. Let's be fair, the guy's an All Pro, so it's not a terrible thing.

George Kittle owns a lot of souls. Dude is a force of nature so I have to cut a rookie CGJ some slack. Next time they meet CGJ will be ready. He's the type of player that holds grudges and uses them for fuel.

CGJ fell in the draft because of issues with consistency and the “tweener” status he was labeled with prior to the draft. He is on the small side for a Safety, and he doesn’t really fit the mold of a CB. He struggled with consistency as a tackler at Florida

He was a bit of a tweener, but I don’t think it was his tackling. He was rated as a top 5 S, and a likely 2nd rd pick. IIRC, the issue he had was he reportedly interviewed poorly. He touted his abilities, esp his versatility. But his self confidence may have come off as arrogance. Some teams, FOs n coaches don’t like “ strong personalities”.

Fortunately, we ain’t one of em! Coach Glenn talked about how he n CGJ got into a “face to face” at a high school all star camp years ago. Glenn took a liking to him cause of it, and the two ended up stayin in touch while Chauncey was at UF. Coach’s opinions on him prolly helped land him here! :9:

Only drawback is inexperience. That's all I have.
Absolutely!

It’ll take some time, and he’ll make some mistakes. Some of those may result in big plays that hurt us. That happens with those instinctive players when they’re young, but I think he has what it takes to be a Polomalu type SS near the LoS once he learns more.

Now I’m not saying he’s gonna be a HoFer leaping over the line presnap for sacks, but there’s just something different about how he’s flying to the would-be X on the field before the ball carrier/receiver even knows that he’ll be heading to the X with the ball.

Last edited:
Buying his jersey soon as it's available. He's incredible.

Help me understand, so to have "it" to be good, you are born with this "it"? What exactly is this "it"?

As far as I can see, this "it" isn't supernatural and you aren't born with some supernatural phenomenon that somehow only a handful if people have.

This "it" is 3 parts: (1) intelligence, (2) memory, (3) repetition, repetition and repetition.

For those out there wanting to understand this better, pick up the book, The Power of Habit.
Actually you're missing one part. Athleticism, if you don't have that, all the intelligence, memory and repetition won't matter. And you could probably add heart and speed to that list too. A combination of all those is what you call having "IT", and CJGJ has it.

That is what made Sharper so phenomenal in 2009!! It is a knack, that you have. It cannot be coached. It is a natural ability of instinct.
Actually you're missing one part. Athleticism, if you don't have that, all the intelligence, memory and repetition won't matter. And you could probably add heart and speed to that list too. A combination of all those is what you call having "IT", and CJGJ has it.
Athleticism is based on flexibility and muscle, the more muscle and explosive exercises you do, the more athletic you are. Many guys in NFL are average athletes, however, like Zach Thomas, they are technicians of the game...this is were repetition beats athleticism.

Heart, what is that? Passion for something, the burning desire to work your tail off at something, or "Heart" is achieve through...guess what, repetition.

Start doing something you don't like and after long periods of doing it over and over again the brain programs it into subconscience memory and you begin getting good at it, and you begin to like it; as they say, stop thinking and let you instincts guide you, or getting in the zone.

That's where you are no longer solving problems consciously, it's like driving home and not thinking about it.

Speed, also a factor of muscle mass and repetition.

Elite athleticism isn't necessary for making it to the NFL.

I'd argue being an elite technician is.

Oh and tell Larry Bird that...that guy had zero athleticism...but he sure could sink a basketball.

To me "it" is synonymous with instincts or nose for the ball. I haven't read anyone say it's something mystical yet. No one has suggested dark magic or witch craft. All I know is that some players have great instincts for the game of football. For whatever reason.

See my other posts, "IT", instincts, heart, passion, getting in the zone, it's nothing special, everyone can have it, whether you decide to have It, is up to YOU.

The Power of Habit
The Compound Effect
Think and Grow Rich
The Leadership Challenge
Be Obsessed or Be Average

Just a few books to help the young guys looking for immense success in life...I'm just trying to help change mindsets.

Whether you think you can or not, either way you're right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom