Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (1 Viewer)

It was the epitome of a Texans Bill O'Brien approach to team management. The decision to trade CGJ was not about improving the team. It was the easy route to dealing with conflict. Payton would have never done something like that. Instead of dealing with it and moving past it, they chose to avoid it at the expense of the team. Saints made a Bill Obrien decision and got Bill Obrien results. Not shocking at all.
Damn...dropping bombs at 3 in the morning

I think this is overblown. Our secondary hasn’t been punked in Ceedy’s absence.
What really bothered everyone was the Cracker Jack box prize “return” we got for him.
Ceddy drove down his trade value with his antics, loud capping his coaches and refusing to practice. Demanding we pay him like a safety, when he is a NB. Teams saw that he was passed over at safety, w/ the signing of Mathew and Maye. Philly was the only team who thought he could be a safety, and to offer anything for him at that point.

I didn’t understand the move either. We could have kept him this year and let him become a FA and probably got a better comp pick than what we actually traded him for as the compensation was terrible. CGJ must have really P'Oed of DA to be traded for basically nothing when he was such an integral part of the Defense.

Well the one thing great about this is it gives everyone a chance to talk about it and we ain’t talking about Kwon anymore

Saints messed up by not just keeping him on the roster for the year and then letting him walk in the offseason. For what you got you should have just kept him to be honest. Put an offer on the table in the offseason and let him go see what he is truly worth.
It takes two. He was not fully participating and was ignoring coaches. Im sure the saints would have loved to use him for a year on the existing contract.

Gardner-Johnson and Justin Evans (the guy who replaced him for us) have almost the exact same stats this season.

Last Sunday Gardner played all 47 defensive snaps for the Eagles and had....two tackles. Through 4 games he has 17 tackles, 1 TFL, 0 sacks, 0 INTs, 0 FF, 0 FR, and 1 PD.

He may turn it on later, but for now he looks like just another guy to me.

And we got a low-round pick thrown in, we don't have an attitude problem, and we won't have Evans trying to go out and get $13M a year next offseason.

Having style, attitude, whatever is great, but if you're not backing it up with superior play, pretty quickly people stop paying attention.

Let it go.

Donte Stallworth (late to meetings after being warned), Galette (so many issues), Graham (Payton seemed annoyed that he wouldn't move past the arbitration loss) and Brandin Cooks (publicly complained about not getting the ball enough in a Saints win) would probably disagree with you.

Seems to me that the CGJ move is consistent with how Payton handled players when they acted in a way that could be disruptive to the team.

Stallworth was traded because Marques Colston made him dispensable. Galette was released after his legal troubles starting mounting. Brandin Cooks was traded for a 1st round pick after it became obvious that Michael Thomas was gong to the #1 WR the Saints would have to pay.

Let's not rewrite history. The reason for those transactions were obvious or became very obvious shortly after they happened. And each case, they were better for the long term health of the team.

You're forgetting the fact that Payton traded Akiem Hicks for a blocking TE. It's the exact move Payton would have made.

Nope. You're stating this as if Akiem Hicks while playing for the Saints was giving the same effort Akiem Hicks gave while playing for Chicago. I wish it was true but THAT is patently false. Akiem Hicks' production was only worth a blocking TE when we traded him. He didn't turn into a good player until 2 teams later. Maybe being moved by the Saints and let go by the Patriots finally made it dawn on him that he needed to give more effort on the field. Maybe he realized the Bears would be his last shot at being in the NFL. For whatever reason, he didn't have the desire to be better while in New Orleans. And it's obvious to me that he would have just coasted here never improving if he didn't have the 2 experiences that landed him on the Bears.

Ceddy drove down his trade value with his antics, loud capping his coaches and refusing to practice. Demanding we pay him like a safety, when he is a NB. Teams saw that he was passed over at safety, w/ the signing of Mathew and Maye. Philly was the only team who thought he could be a safety, and to offer anything for him at that point.
His play will not merit his contract, and I suspect other teams knew that too. This trade was for a rental. Phili thinks they have a shot this year, and will not resign him at FS money after this season.

He was going to be a rental, so no one would give a lot for him

Idk what it is, but I have never been less interested in a Saints season than now. This team is nothing but drama and craziness this year. Arrested players and all. Just a mess of a debut for DA. It almost looks like he lost the team a long time ago. Just zero hype for any type of resurgence.

I’m not a fan of the trade/compensation we got in the trade for him, but that is hardly the reason we have been struggling this season. Overall our defense has been mostly solid with a few dumb avoidable penalties shooting us in the foot at times.

The bigger problems have been on the other side of the ball. Injuries to Kamara, Thomas, and Winston haven’t been ideal. Terrible ball control with fumbles at crucial points in the game. Poor OL play. Winston reverting to old habits and forcing throws have all been far more problematic than the loss of CGJ this season.

I suppose if there is a silver lining to this it would be that we have beaten ourselves more than opposing teams have beaten us. This isn’t the first time in recent years sloppy play has caused a rough start to the season. It is correctable, but needs to happen soon if we have any hopes of making the playoffs this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom