Check this out: 2 billion. (1 Viewer)

The Mongoose

Porkers?
Reaction score
Man, this is some crazy money to be throwing around. How can anything be worth 2 billion??!! Damn.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166573

EA announced this morning that it has proposed to Take-Two shareholders a purchase of the company. This would put Take-Two, parent of Grand Theft Auto developer Rockstar and Bioshock developer 2K, in the EA stable in a deal valued at approximately $2 billion. It would also once again firmly cement EA as the world's largest and most successful game publisher, a counter to Activision's merger with Vivendi/Blizzard a few months ago.

And if you read the article, Take Two doesn't think 2 billion is enough money. They actually sound insulted.

Dude, can you imagine a scenario with EA owning 90% of game developers?

Then every game could be just like Madden. Ugh.

Other than how conservative and/or stubborn they are with the Madden franchise, I've got no real beef with EA. But the Madden thing is a big deal -- why spend the $$$ to make a great game when you can get people like me to pay 60 bucks for a roster update every year?

I think the more independent, competitive game developers there are, the better games will be for us.

EA is trying to buy everyone.

Video games are bigger than the movie industry. So get used to consolidation, its inevitable with this kind of money comeing and going.

Just because EA is the owner, doesn't nesscessarily mean all quality will be dilouted down to a multip platform Fantastic Four port. They could very easily leave certain groupls along to operate independently. That crappy Madden 09 and GhostRider 2 game could very well fund the development of BioShock 2 the way revenues from Disney's blockbusters fund indie pictures made by Mirramax.

Video games are bigger than the movie industry. So get used to consolidation, its inevitable with this kind of money comeing and going.

Just because EA is the owner, doesn't nesscessarily mean all quality will be dilouted down to a multip platform Fantastic Four port. They could very easily leave certain groupls along to operate independently. That crappy Madden 09 and GhostRider 2 game could very well fund the development of BioShock 2 the way revenues from Disney's blockbusters fund indie pictures made by Mirramax.

Is the movie industry made up of publicly traded companies? I don't know the answer to that.

EA has to produce for the shareholders. That's their focus, and that's cool. But the investor comes first. They could make a better Madden, but they don't have to. What would be the impetus for them to spend more money to make cooler games if they are dominating the market anyway due to buying everyone else out?

I'm all about free markets and profit driving innovation. The thing that's troublesome is that EA is in a position to buy and absorb a lot of the competition. I have no trouble with EA being more mindful of their shareholders more than the gamer -- as long as there is competition, the gamer won't suffer. In fact, satisfying the gamer will ultimately fund the satisfaction of the investor.

I guess they will never be able to buy everyone. It looks like Take Two is telling EA to shove off.

Well, if you realy want a better Madden, the sheep need to stop buying the crappy Madden every year. Other than that, yeh, i basically agree.

this would be the worst merger in history!!!! IMO

i think EA wants all the 2k game engines: i.e. Madden with the APF2K8 engine?

could this be a bad thing?

this is a terrible thing. 2K makes much better games than EA. I cant even remember the last time i bought an EA game

this is a terrible thing. 2K makes much better games than EA. I cant even remember the last time i bought an EA game

try crysis.. you might change your mind...
i'm holding out to see what impact they have on bioware, but many of their acquisitions they let do what they do best.
madden went down becuase of that dang exclusive license deal they made with the nfl.. i wish the nfl would see how much better it was when they had the big 3 competing at making the best quality football sim possible.

fwiw, i havent' bought madden since, prior to that deal.. the microsoft was better to me the last couple years, and prior to that madden.. i haven't bothered with it since.
i want a football sim, if i wanted arcade action, i'd get blitz.

people seem to like the underdog getting the best of the big guys. and the but when the underdog becomes the big dog, their appeal quickly dies off.

i might agree with this if EA only made sports games.....but they make some pretty solid games outsid of the sports genre

madden went down becuase of that dang exclusive license deal they made with the n

I wouldn't say Madden has gone down - it just hasn't gotten any better. I would agree that they haven't leveraged the "next-gen" platforms nearly to the extent that they should have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom