Cheering for other teams to beat the Falcons--do others have this pet peeve? (1 Viewer)

albionmoonlight

Can. Shall. Will.
Reaction score
This is on my mind b/c of the last three Falcons games against the Ravens, Packers and Bucs.

Out of all the things about watching sports, one thing that gets me irrationally mad is cheering for a third-party team to beat a rival and having them screw it up.

If I am cheering for the Saints, and they play badly, well, that stinks, but that's part of cheering for a team. I'll be back next Sunday at 1:00 (Eastern) ready to support the Boys unconditionally.

But, when I am cheering for the Packers or the Bucs to just do me a freakin favor and smack down the Falcons, it galls me to no end to see them screw it up.

I mean, these are supposed to be good teams, right? People can't stop losing their minds over that God-like Raven's D. So, of course, they let the Falcons drive down against them like it is a JV practice or something.

Or Josh "Mr. Comeback" Freeman decides that throwing a pick during his Fourth Quarter comeback drive is awesome.

I think that my anger is two-fold. I rarely get to cheer--with my full heart and attention--for teams like the Ravens or (especially) the Bucs. So, really, when I commit to that, I expect them to hold up their end of the bargain and play like an NFL-caliber team.

In addition, I know that when the Saints have to play these teams, those teams will bring their A games and make all of the plays that they left on the field against the Clowns. Which seems, at the least, as unsporting.

And, of course, I can Hate the Bucs, etc. in a way that I could never truly hate the Saints.

Basically, I can handle almost all of the ups and downs of fandom just fine. My dogs and kids can be around me after a Saints lost without fear of flying remote controls or salty language getting in the way.

But, the level of anger and disgust I had when Freeman threw that pick yesterday was borderline scary. Especially b/c it was the third flippin' week in a row that some team decided to let the Clowns escape with an undeserved win.

So, the whole thing made me wonder, does anyone else have that reaction? Anyone else get more angry at random teams who refuse to play spoiler than you do at the Saints themselves?

No.
Rooting for the other team = I gave it a try for the Ravens @ Falcons game, but I gave up on it after that. What will be, will be, and it's stressful enough sitting on the edge of my seat watching the Saints play every week. I don't need any added stress, so guess what, screw everyone else. I am standing strongly on the notion that the Saints can either win 2 home playoff games, or three road playoff games, because I believe they are that good. That is all.

YES! I was going crazy last night when the Failcons ran that kick back for a TD, and blamed my wife when she walked in the door! I was P.O'd to say the least.

I felt like someone kicked me in the stomach at the end of bucs-clowns game last night.

Sadly, I was rooting for the Bucs to beat the Falcons harder than I was for the Saints yesterday. At 6:30 last night, I felt like the Saints had just lost.

Yeah it irks me to have to do it. But I found myself cheering for the Bucs, and to see them choke away their 10 point lead in the 4th just reaffirmed why I don't normally support the third party teams. Saints won and that's all I should have to care about.

If I go for one of these other teams and they don't get the job done it's like losing. How messed up is that that we have to feel bad on a day where the Saints win? Makes no sense to invest your energy into other teams like that. I'm just expecting the Falcons to win out. If they don't great for us.

Sadly, I was rooting for the Bucs to beat the Falcons harder than I was for the Saints yesterday. At 6:30 last night, I felt like the Saints had just lost.

I didn't feel the way you felt first sentence...but I'm with you 100% on the second sentence.

Yes, my reaction yesterday was pretty much, "Thanks a lot Bucs, I hope you lose all the rest of your freaking games you losers. I'm never cheering for you again." I was really mad at them!

For the reasons you've stated, I can't watch. I just tune in to see if the damage was done at the end of the game praying and hoping to hear some good news.

This is on my mind b/c of the last three Falcons games against the Ravens, Packers and Bucs.

Out of all the things about watching sports, one thing that gets me irrationally mad is cheering for a third-party team to beat a rival and having them screw it up.

If I am cheering for the Saints, and they play badly, well, that stinks, but that's part of cheering for a team. I'll be back next Sunday at 1:00 (Eastern) ready to support the Boys unconditionally.

But, when I am cheering for the Packers or the Bucs to just do me a freakin favor and smack down the Falcons, it galls me to no end to see them screw it up.

I mean, these are supposed to be good teams, right? People can't stop losing their minds over that God-like Raven's D. So, of course, they let the Falcons drive down against them like it is a JV practice or something.

Or Josh "Mr. Comeback" Freeman decides that throwing a pick during his Fourth Quarter comeback drive is awesome.

I think that my anger is two-fold. I rarely get to cheer--with my full heart and attention--for teams like the Ravens or (especially) the Bucs. So, really, when I commit to that, I expect them to hold up their end of the bargain and play like an NFL-caliber team.

In addition, I know that when the Saints have to play these teams, those teams will bring their A games and make all of the plays that they left on the field against the Clowns. Which seems, at the least, as unsporting.

And, of course, I can Hate the Bucs, etc. in a way that I could never truly hate the Saints.

Basically, I can handle almost all of the ups and downs of fandom just fine. My dogs and kids can be around me after a Saints lost without fear of flying remote controls or salty language getting in the way.

But, the level of anger and disgust I had when Freeman threw that pick yesterday was borderline scary. Especially b/c it was the third flippin' week in a row that some team decided to let the Clowns escape with an undeserved win.

So, the whole thing made me wonder, does anyone else have that reaction? Anyone else get more angry at random teams who refuse to play spoiler than you do at the Saints themselves?

I agree. Baltimore is DED to me after the way they laid down and died for The Falcons. Green Bay too. Those teams just do not impress me. Tampa, eh, we knew they kinda sucked for a 'best team in the NFC'.

Frankly I'm more mad at the refs who seem to find a reason to give the Falcons breaks in every game.

That is exactly how I felt, I felt like throwing the remote through my tv screen.:rant: That game was big as I feel like that was our only chance at the division because lets face it, I just cant see the falcons losing to the panthers or seahawks.:jpshakehead:

No.
Rooting for the other team = I gave it a try for the Ravens @ Falcons game, but I gave up on it after that. What will be, will be, and it's stressful enough sitting on the edge of my seat watching the Saints play every week. I don't need any added stress, so guess what, screw everyone else. I am standing strongly on the notion that the Saints can either win 2 home playoff games, or three road playoff games, because I believe they are that good. That is all.

Agreed. I can't actively root for another team. What I mean is that I can't put forth the same care, emotion or passion as I do cheering for the Saints, and getting all pumped when we score a TD or get a big stop. I liked when Tampa did good things in the game, but I didn't do any fist pumping or high-fiving.

Baltimore is DED to me after the way they laid down and died for The Falcons. Green Bay too. Those teams just do not impress me.

I know this is a topic for next Monday around this time, but I am not impressed with the Ravens either. Many Saints fans have that game penciled in as a loss :)shrug:), but that team can be had. You have to survive their initial onslaught in the first quarter and half, and then start throwing the ball over their heads. We'll discuss this more, next week.

Last year, we all actively rooted for the Bears in that MNF game against the Vikings. This board might have set an all-time record that night when home field was clinched thanks to Peterson's fumble and Gould's FG.

Yesterday, I blame those pumpkin colored jerseys. Those are retros which should stay forgotten. If Tampa loses at Washington next week, their playoff chances are virtually eliminated. That would leave 6 teams (Atlanta, NO, Chicago, Philly, NYG, GB) fighting for 5 slots. The NFC West will send the remaining team. This means a team with a better record than either Seattle or St. Louis will NOT make the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom