CHERNOBYL (1 Viewer)

How do they have nothing in common? I’m sure they have at least one thing in common. And probably multiple.

One was act an of negligence, the other the result of a catastrophic natural disaster. Both the cause and response to the each incidents are completely different.

One was act an of negligence, the other the result of a catastrophic natural disaster. Both the cause and response to the each incidents are completely different.

But it just seemed like a round about way to say that. Because the two have several things in common. Several.

Sure the cause was different, but that’s it. Both took place at a Nuclear facility. Both are the two worst nuclear disasters in our history. Both rendered a town unlivable. Both dealt with loads of cover up that made the situation worse for the area and the workers. Both killed several people. Both will have a lasting effect that will exist for hundreds of years. Both have band aids atop them. Both show how unpredictable and dangerous harnessing nuclear power is.

They have more in common than they don’t have in common. And as this documentary was giving the back story of the cause, the sequel could easily be called Fukushima.

Don’t know the whole story on that one but I do think it had a suicide squad as well?

Yes, I think they did. I followed it pretty closely. They had older seniors that volunteered to go into the more radiactive parts of the plant. Their reasoning was that they would be less likely to develop cancers from the radiation if they are closer to the end of their lives.

That's scary as hell. I live in Hawaii and it still freaks me out. Apparently it's still dumping radiation into the ocean. So, technically the disaster is ongoing. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ma-no-1s-water-woes-slow-recede/#.XMD3OKR7lhE
That's scary as hell. I live in Hawaii and it still freaks me out. Apparently it's still dumping radiation into the ocean. So, technically the disaster is ongoing. https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ma-no-1s-water-woes-slow-recede/#.XMD3OKR7lhE

I just read the whole article and at no place did stat radiation was being dumped into the ocean.

That in and of itself is not a accurate statement even if it was true, as radiation has no mass, radiation is energy. Living in Hawaii you get more radiation exposure from the sun then you do from that pant.

The danger lies in radioactive material contaminating an area that increases the amount of radiation you are consistent exposed to to high levels that can cause damage to your body. This isn't happening. The fact that they are storing so much cool water shows they are not taking steps to keep contamination under control, and the containment building is doing its job.

The fuel needs the water until the fuel cools, this is the point where the fuel no longer gives off enough energy to boil water. at that point, the future not longer need to be submerged in water and can be stored in welded shut stainless steel casts filled with gas (like Argon) to prevent corrosion.

At that point the fuel is stored, and the clean up of the plant site can begin. It will likely take 10 years to decommission the whole plant site and return it to what it was prior to the plants construction. Nothing the in plant will be recycled, everything will taken apart, boxed up (as placed in a sealed metal container) and buried in the ground somewhere.

Isn't it 5 episodes? I'll wait until all are out and I have some time to binge.

thought this article was interesting:

Humans are animals, and what hurts one species often hurts the rest. Radiation, like the fallout from the Chernobyl disaster, is a perfect example. But human activity takes a toll on wildlife, too. So what happens when radiation forces humans to evacuate an area but leaves the animals behind? The animals keep on living — and they seem to be just fine...

But one thing is clear: Chernobyl's exclusion zone hasn't been toxic enough to decrease wildlife populations to a dramatic degree, if at all. As biologist Jim Beasley told National Geographic, in the exclusion zone, "humans have been removed from the system and this greatly overshadows any of those potential radiation effects." Between radiation and human civilization, the humans seem to be the greater threat.

Honest, typically well done production by HBO.

As we know, horrors of the incident were magnified by inept, evasive Soviet leadership.

Occasional humor lightens the creeping, invisible dread, but there're plenty of sieverts and sadness to go around.

Recommended.

My wife and I are fascinated by this mini-series. I knew of the Chernobyl Disaster, but had never truly delved into the particulars of what happened. It is absolutely amazing to me, the level of incompetence by the Soviet Union’s leadership, if things truly went down the way these episodes have been depicted.

I am purposely not reading up on anything because I’d prefer to keep the show “spoiler free” as much as possible, but now it seems like something shady may have gone on with the technicians and or equipment being faulty???

This disaster could have had or could currently be having global implications that we will never be truly aware of. It is a wonder why a power plant using a Nuclear power source is still legal after something like this. Is it really worth it? I am really not that educated on the subject of nuclear power.

My wife and I are fascinated by this mini-series. I knew of the Chernobyl Disaster, but had never truly delved into the particulars of what happened. It is absolutely amazing to me, the level of incompetence by the Soviet Union’s leadership, if things truly went down the way these episodes have been depicted.

I am purposely not reading up on anything because I’d prefer to keep the show “spoiler free” as much as possible, but now it seems like something shady may have gone on with the technicians and or equipment being faulty???

This disaster could have had or could currently be having global implications that we will never be truly aware of. It is a wonder why a power plant using a Nuclear power source is still legal after something like this. Is it really worth it? I am really not that educated on the subject of nuclear power.

When you get educated, you'll realize that this man made failure is not a disaster that can happen in any other plant. Just as three mile island causes would not longer happen at any other plant anymore.

Nuclear energy is safe and clean but demands a level of respect and care that should not be compromised. You more likely have to a gas refinery explode and effect you then suffer any effects from nuclear power.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom