CHERNOBYL (1 Viewer)

Nuclear energy is safe and clean but demands a level of respect and care that should not be compromised. You more likely have to a gas refinery explode and effect you then suffer any effects from nuclear power.
Except respect and care are periodically compromised, through design and/or operation. And then stuff happens. And it's much wider ranging and longer lasting than any refinery explosion.

When you get educated, you'll realize that this man made failure is not a disaster that can happen in any other plant. Just as three mile island causes would not longer happen at any other plant anymore.

Nuclear energy is safe and clean but demands a level of respect and care that should not be compromised. You more likely have to a gas refinery explode and effect you then suffer any effects from nuclear power.
Why even talk to the guy like that though? He isn’t being disrespectful in any way, so why do you feel the need to take that tone? “When you get educated”... really?

Why even talk to the guy like that though? He isn’t being disrespectful in any way, so why do you feel the need to take that tone? “When you get educated”... really?

I wasn't responding in an negative way at all, misunderstandings about nuclear power are what results in fear and miss information, education is what resolves that. I actually didn't intend any negative connotations.

Except respect and care are periodically compromised, through design and/or operation. And then stuff happens. And it's much wider ranging and longer lasting than any refinery explosion.

No, not since 3 mile island. the entire industry changed for the better after that .

i'd totally visit there with a giant anti-xray thick thingies to put over my nuts.

the olympic size pool has always fascinated me. that sheet, along with ferris wheel, are super awesome creepy.

I wasn't responding in an negative way at all, misunderstandings about nuclear power are what results in fear and miss information, education is what resolves that. I actually didn't intend any negative connotations.
Then I take blame for misconstruing your tone.

I've actually been there, surprisingly boring except when thinking about what happened there.

I just read the whole article and at no place did stat radiation was being dumped into the ocean.

That in and of itself is not a accurate statement even if it was true, as radiation has no mass, radiation is energy. Living in Hawaii you get more radiation exposure from the sun then you do from that pant.

The danger lies in radioactive material contaminating an area that increases the amount of radiation you are consistent exposed to to high levels that can cause damage to your body. This isn't happening. The fact that they are storing so much cool water shows they are not taking steps to keep contamination under control, and the containment building is doing its job.

The fuel needs the water until the fuel cools, this is the point where the fuel no longer gives off enough energy to boil water. at that point, the future not longer need to be submerged in water and can be stored in welded shut stainless steel casts filled with gas (like Argon) to prevent corrosion.

At that point the fuel is stored, and the clean up of the plant site can begin. It will likely take 10 years to decommission the whole plant site and return it to what it was prior to the plants construction. Nothing the in plant will be recycled, everything will taken apart, boxed up (as placed in a sealed metal container) and buried in the ground somewhere.

Radiation in the form of radioactive water. While you are correct in that radiation itself has no mass the source of the radiation absolutely does in the form of radioactive tritium, strontium, and other particles.

The problem as I have read is that contaminated ground water is seeping into the ocean.

Per Wiki:
"A year after the disaster, in April 2012, sea fish caught near the Fukushima power plant still contain as much radioactive 134Cs and 137Cs compared to fish caught in the days after the disaster.[96] At the end of October 2012 TEPCO admitted that it could not exclude radioactivity releases into the ocean, although the radiation levels were stabilised. Undetected leaks into the ocean from the reactors, could not be ruled out, because their basements remain flooded with cooling water, and the 2,400-foot-long steel and concrete wall between the site’s reactors and the ocean, that should reach 100 feet underground, was still under construction, and would not be finished before mid-2014. Around August 2012 two greenling were caught close to the Fukushima shore, they contained more than 25 kBq per kilogram of caesium, the highest caesium levels found in fish since the disaster and 250 times the government’s safety limit.[97]

In August 2013, a Nuclear Regulatory Authority task force reported that contaminated groundwater had breached an underground barrier, was rising toward the surface and exceeded legal limits of radioactive discharge.[98] The underground barrier was only effective in solidifying the ground at least 1.8 meters below the surface, and water began seeping through shallow areas of earth into the sea.[98]"

The last update here is from 2013 and I have not seen this addressed anywhere since then.

If you want a good long read on the subject from Woods Hole.

https://flipbooks.whoi.edu/2331/3058/6736/oceanus50n1/index.html

Also, I am not worried about environmental radiation levels but I am worried about the level of radiation in the fish and other marine life similar to mercury contamination.

hey brah, quit trying to cloud the dream of it being awesome.

So, the idea is pretty cool, and some of it can be kind of creepy when you think about what happened and why it's the way it is. But it's pretty picked over and looted now, and there are tons of tours there. Watching the geiger counter is interesting.

Funny story, my tour guide told me about a guy who went on a tour and that night put on a glow in the dark condom and walked out of the bathroom and said to his wife "honey, I think there might be a problem"

No, not since 3 mile island. the entire industry changed for the better after that .

Except for exceptions like 32 years after TMI. Force majeure was only part of the problem.

Japan Power Company Admits Failings On Planned Precautions
The company [TEPCO] has already admitted, however, that even its own engineers had predicted a far larger tsunami was possible in Fukushima, a finding that the company and regulators both chose to ignore or not make public.

Japan Utility Agrees Nuclear Crisis Was Avoidable
Tokyo Electric Power Co. said in a statement that it had known safety improvements were needed before last year’s tsunami triggered three meltdowns, but it had feared the political, economic and legal consequences of implementing them.

Nuke power is undeniably useful today, but don't pretend it's without significant risk where hubris and greed intersect.

The interesting thing I learned from the show was that Western Russia and most of Eastern Europe (50 plus million people) were 2 days from destruction. Had they not pumped out the water tanks they thought were empty the world as we knew it would have changed in an instant. Crazy.

Easily the best new show on tv right now.

As to nuclear as an energy source, I don't have an inherent problem with nuclear power, but the supporters do seem to have a tendency to downplay the risks.

That said nuclear energy as it currently stands is very unlikely to ever re-gain significant traction. Nothing evokes more NIMBY in the energy sector both in terms of where they are built or where waste is deposited than nuclear. It is also an insanely cost prohibitive energy because the start-up costs are massive and the ROI can take decades. So private money has little interest unless it is heavily subsidized. Which tends to be the angle of investors and their lobbyists in Washington and the people they can get on the editorial section. Unless it allows them to be the next Andrew Carnegie or Charles Crocker, getting rich off government protectionism and subsidization paid in part off the back of the average American taxpayer, they don't ever show much interest.

Watched the first episode last night and the scene in the underground meeting room with all the management and then the speech by the die hard communist (in emeritus) tells them how Lenin would be proud of them. Then proceeds to tell them they have to keep the people sealed off in the city to protect the workers and their labor and to keep misinformation(the truth) from spreading. Pretty chilling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom