Chicago gets it's 500th homicide in 9 months... (1 Viewer)

You legalize drugs, you all but eliminate gangs because you eliminate the gangs income which eliminates their ability to recruit because all incentive is lost. It's pretty simple.

I'm far from an expert but gangs don't exsist because of drugs and money isn't the rational behind gangs from what I've read and seen on documentaries etc - not talking about tv shows and movies - gangs often times are the social/family connections kids have when strong families or strong single parents don't exist - often times the breakdowns in parents, even single parents are their own drug use and alcohol - legalization green lights that activity and that's across all economic, racial lines - sometimes it's just preoccupied parenting that allows kids to take the wrong path

While you may see some reduction in drug legalization you will also see other issues - most people don't buy drugs from "gangs" , gang violence can come from "drug turf" but also just from "turf" or who one is affiliated with

While you are correct there is money in illegal drug sales , the idea that legalization will end the gang attraction and lead those affiliated to legal jobs etc is unlikely IMO - if you removed the violent mindset and left illegal drug sales you would probably have a better affect , the mindset is the challenge, there are illegal drug dealers in all walks of life , some probably closer to your home than you would think , just the violence isn't there because the mindset isn't there

Too my knowledge the laws on guns are not that strict in Chicago anymore. That changed a lot when Illinois was allowed to have a CCW license. Too my knowledge the laws that are restrictive are no more than 10 rounds in a magazine and no lasers. Cook county does have some extra taxes on firearms, and no AR's are allowed in certain villages. There is also an ammo tax. I have lots of customers that come to my shop to buy from Cook county because of these reasons.

You legalize drugs, you all but eliminate gangs because you eliminate the gangs income which eliminates their ability to recruit because all incentive is lost. It's pretty simple.

I think it would hurt them initially, but they would probably just come up with another means to make their income such as theft, robbery, prostitution, etc.

Also, when we say legalize drugs, are we talking all drugs or just marijuana? I can imagine a USA where pot is legal, but I can't imagine the country legalizing anything else.

Legalizing drugs won't necessarily eliminate either gangs or their income. There are a lot of other ways gangs make money (prostitution, turf taxes, dues, black market products and weapons, etc). It will make a dent for sure, but only in the short term. Gangs aren't going anywhere anytime soon regardless what laws are on the books. That won't change unless they're given better options, real jobs and real opportunities to accomplish something.

The larger issue is the economic disparity in localized communities. Chicago, like a lot of cities have areas largely ignored by developers, and that creates a vacuum where gangs can fill.

I'm far from an expert but gangs don't exsist because of drugs and money isn't the rational behind gangs from what I've read and seen on documentaries etc - not talking about tv shows and movies - gangs often times are the social/family connections kids have when strong families or strong single parents don't exist - often times the breakdowns in parents, even single parents are their own drug use and alcohol - legalization green lights that activity and that's across all economic, racial lines - sometimes it's just preoccupied parenting that allows kids to take the wrong path

While you may see some reduction in drug legalization you will also see other issues - most people don't buy drugs from "gangs" , gang violence can come from "drug turf" but also just from "turf" or who one is affiliated with

While you are correct there is money in illegal drug sales , the idea that legalization will end the gang attraction and lead those affiliated to legal jobs etc is unlikely IMO - if you removed the violent mindset and left illegal drug sales you would probably have a better affect , the mindset is the challenge, there are illegal drug dealers in all walks of life , some probably closer to your home than you would think , just the violence isn't there because the mindset isn't there

Drug sales are what allow the gangs to arm themselves like small militias

I realize this is a pro-gun restriction site, but found their article to be pretty moderate and fairly constructed. Their take away is that Hawaii shows us the way to keep guns away from criminals without restricting the law-abiding citizens' access to guns.
This website is more anti-propaganda and pro-facts than pro-gun restriction.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom