Chick Flicks you actually like (1 Viewer)

What's interesting is that "chick flick" has evolved a bit.

Take The Heat. Not the typical female romance, romantic comedy, finding one's self movie... maybe a touch of the last one, but a raunchy, funny, physical comedy. It's a "guy's flick" for women.

What's interesting is that "chick flick" has evolved a bit.

Take The Heat. Not the typical female romance, romantic comedy, finding one's self movie... maybe a touch of the last one, but a raunchy, funny, physical comedy. It's a "guy's flick" for women.

I don't think we've progressed this far yet in this thread. I'm pretty sure I'm more confused about what actually constitutes a "chick flick"....and then you throw the literals and figuratives out there and it becomes a real donny brook or quagmire if you will....

I don't think we've progressed this far yet in this thread. I'm pretty sure I'm more confused about what actually constitutes a "chick flick"....and then you throw the literals and figuratives out there and it becomes a real donny brook or quagmire if you will....
Well, 11 years ago would we define it differently? Probably a bit.

30 years ago, definitely would be different.

Twilight....

But, only the last one at the big fight.

Thats the only part I enjoy.

That's an example of a "classic" chick flick... something a guy usually has to be dragged into watching.

Legally Blonde. Best explanation I can think of it was silly and the female characters were stereotyped just as much as the male characters were.

I think Ward pointed out the confusion in his previous post - most on here are just using ‘rom com’ and ‘chick flick’ interchangeably

I think traditionally chick flick was either best friend/sister or mom/daughter with a plethora of emotional catharsis
- males would be tangential at best to the story.
The only romcom trope that could be part of this is NYC (or DC) power woman trading status for back home romance with the bookstore clerk who was the nerd in school she ignored but now he’s super hot

Real life analogues would be a spa trip, girls night out, book club

I think Ward pointed out the confusion in his previous post - most on here are just using ‘rom com’ and ‘chick flick’ interchangeably

I think traditionally chick flick was either best friend/sister or mom/daughter with a plethora of emotional catharsis
- males would be tangential at best to the story.
The only romcom trope that could be part of this is NYC (or DC) power woman trading status for back home romance with the bookstore clerk who was the nerd in school she ignored but now he’s super hot

Real life analogues would be a spa trip, girls night out, book club

Naw, I hear you....I posted that kind of as a joke. It is rare that folks can come to a consensus on defining so many labels. I mean it's kind of an exercise in futility but in a good way....

um.. a good year (russell crowe). a friend of mine, female, had me watch it a few years ago. i won't lie, i love it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom