Chick Flicks you actually like (1 Viewer)

Smh... a male-female dynamic thru-line is part of the subplot in Die Hard. The male-female dymanic IS the plot of Good Will Hunting. The relationship has a beginning, tumultous middle and an ending that coincides with the plot of the movie. The 2 characters you learn the most about are him and Skylar. You've taken the character development of Will Hunting, snippets of fight scenes and hanging out with his friends, and ignored the movie.

Full disclosure, i was never really a fan of GWH, and i think i only saw it once on video shortly after it was released... so I’m probably not the best person to ask if the relationship aspect was the ‘plot’ or the ‘subplot’... i can tell you that in Jerry Maguire (which i have seen hundreds of times)- the main relationship dynamic, it could be argued - is the bromance/client relationship between Jerry and Rod.. also the fatherly relationship between Jerry and Ray.. not that the Jerry/Dorothy relationship isnt hugely important to the movie (it is)- but it isnt the MAIN thing in my opinion.. Which is exactly why anyone who calls JM a chick flick is a low-information movie-goer, and is engaging in just plain lazy thinking.

And in Die Hard, the ENTIRE reason that the movie works is becuase of the John McClain - Holly Gennaro relationship.. all the explosions and gunfire would fall on deaf ears and make it just another action flick if not for the fact that the film makes us care deeply about the main characters and their marriage.

A chick flick traditionally is a movie that a guy wouldn't be caught dead going to until the girl he was hoping to get lucky with told him that's the movie she wanted to go see. You know, back in the olden days when we had these things called movie theaters.

And in Die Hard, the ENTIRE reason that the movie works is becuase of the John McClain - Holly Gennaro relationship.. all the explosions and gunfire would fall on deaf ears and make it just another action flick if not for the fact that the film makes us care deeply about the main characters and their marriage.
That's true. But it also becomes a cop buddy movie, too.

Full disclosure, i was never really a fan of GWH, and i think i only saw it once on video shortly after it was released... so I’m probably not the best person to ask if the relationship aspect was the ‘plot’ or the ‘subplot’...
Gus van Sant should be considered in the top tier of directors today and probably the best ‘actor’s director’
GWH is a stellar movie

Gus van Sant should be considered in the top tier of directors today and probably the best ‘actor’s director’
Explain the shot-for-shot "Psycho".

But "To Die For" is another movie I'll ALWAYS watch.

I get why people think GWH is a chick flick, but when I watched it, chick flick never occurred to me. I like(d) the movie. :shrug:

GWH is a stellar movie

Fair enough... Notice i didnt say, or insinuate, that GWH is a bad movie or anything.. just that it wasnt my thing personally... for me, at the time- I felt like i saw a lot of the jokes coming from a mile away, and to me it seemed to recycle some old tropes that i was already familiar with - the ‘how ya like them apples’ thing for example, which by the time that movie came out in the late 90s, had been used a lot, at least in my circles.. .... i also liked the Matt Damon/Robin Williams therapist relationship thing the first time i saw it- in a movie called ‘Ordinary People’... BUT i feel like GWH did some things well, and i can see why a lot of people liked it.

Full disclosure, i was never really a fan of GWH, and i think i only saw it once on video shortly after it was released... so I’m probably not the best person to ask if the relationship aspect was the ‘plot’ or the ‘subplot’... i can tell you that in Jerry Maguire (which i have seen hundreds of times)- the main relationship dynamic, it could be argued - is the bromance/client relationship between Jerry and Rod.. also the fatherly relationship between Jerry and Ray.. not that the Jerry/Dorothy relationship isnt hugely important to the movie (it is)- but it isnt the MAIN thing in my opinion.. Which is exactly why anyone who calls JM a chick flick is a low-information movie-goer, and is engaging in just plain lazy thinking.

Dude...just no. You're in denial.
A female being the agent (or part agent) of the male protagonist’s growth is the opposite of a chick flick (especially if she doesn’t change markedly)
- that’s just, like, all the movies ever
This is sarcasm right?

Explain the shot-for-shot "Psycho".

But "To Die For" is another movie I'll ALWAYS watch.
Can’t justify bc i never saw it - not interested in any way

Nicole Kidman (and to a lesser extent Keanu Reeves and Ben Affleck) is the proof
She was a fairly basic (at times bad) actor until To Die For, then she became one of the bests

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom