Chick Flicks you actually like (2 Viewers)

A female being the agent (or part agent) of the male protagonist’s growth is the opposite of a chick flick (especially if she doesn’t change markedly)
- that’s just, like, all the movies ever

I agree with that. The presence of a male/female relationship doesn't by itself make a film into a chick flick. It's when the male/female relationship drives the plot that you slide into Chick Flick territory.

Die Hard is not a chick flick (nor a Christmas movie). The relationship with Holly serves as useful motivation but it is completely secondary (tertiary?) to the main threads of the movie.

I would define chick flick as any one of the following (with the caveat that these are often not hard and fast rules):

1) Any movie where the central premise is "Will they or wont they get together?" - ex: Notting Hill, When Harry Met Sally
2) Any movie where the top 2-3 characters are all female, especially mother/daughter or sisters - ex: Steel Magnolias, Terms of Endearment
3) Any adaption of Pygmalion/Ugly Duckling ex: She's All That

I would define chick flick as any one of the following (with the caveat that these are often not hard and fast rules):

1) Any movie where the central premise is "Will they or wont they get together?" - ex: Notting Hill, When Harry Met Sally
2) Any movie where the top 2-3 characters are all female, especially mother/daughter or sisters - ex: Steel Magnolias, Terms of Endearment
4) Movies in which Tom Cruise plays a sports agent

I agree with that. The presence of a male/female relationship doesn't by itself make a film into a chick flick. It's when the male/female relationship drives the plot that you slide into Chick Flick territory.

Die Hard is not a chick flick (nor a Christmas movie). The relationship with Holly serves as useful motivation but it is completely secondary (tertiary?) to the main threads of the movie.

GWH falls firmly into #1.

And I'll add another tenet of Chick flicks for GMR, The girl is the driving force behind the male protagonist's growth. That's literally the driving theme behind every scene that features a guy running through an airport, barging into some girl's only event to profess his love, or I don't know...driving across the freaking country. Because of love, he's finally understands.

A female being the agent (or part agent) of the male protagonist’s growth is the opposite of a chick flick (especially if she doesn’t change markedly)
- that’s just, like, all the movies ever

Exactly, I've never heard GWH described as a chick flick, ever....because it's not....I mean you could just say that any movie that includes a male female relationship as part of the plot is a chick flick...but you would be wrong....

GWH is the story of a kid, now man, that was abused and is trying to heal and become a whole person again (someone capable of accepting and giving love)....it may sound chick flicky but it is not....Robin Williams best acting moment IMO....

Exactly, I've never heard GWH described as a chick flick, ever....because it's not....I mean you could just say that any movie that includes a male female relationship as part of the plot is a chick flick...but you would be wrong....

GWH is the story of a kid, now man, that was abused and is trying to heal and become a whole person again (someone capable of accepting and giving love)....it may sound chick flicky but it is not....Robin Williams best acting moment IMO....
It is my belief that good comedians make good actors. Robin Williams was excellent in One Hour Photo. Jim Carrey and Eternal Sunshine. Bill Burr in Mandalorian. There's a newer instance that I'm failing to recall but if I hired actors for roles in movies I would look to comedians in serious roles.

Uh huh... type "Good Will Hunting" into Google and see what similar movie titles come up. Will Hunting was a genius, but Damon and Affleck are the real geniuses for getting guys to fall in love with a romance movie without even knowing it.

Uh huh... type "Good Will Hunting" into Google and see what similar movie titles come up. Will Hunting was a genius, but Damon and Affleck are the real geniuses for getting guys to fall in love with a romance movie without even knowing it.

Right, because a Google search is an end all know all....or something....

I would make an argument that Will and Sean's relationship was the absolute center of the movie....I loved that part for sure!!!!

It is my belief that good comedians make good actors. Robin Williams was excellent in One Hour Photo. Jim Carrey and Eternal Sunshine. Bill Burr in Mandalorian. There's a newer instance that I'm failing to recall but if I hired actors for roles in movies I would look to comedians in serious roles.

Bill Murray - Lost in Translation
Whoopi Goldberg - The Color Purple
Adam Sandler - Spanglish, Reign Over Me, Punch Drunk Love
Eddie Murphy - Dream Girls

Totally agree.

Bill Murray - Lost in Translation
Whoopi Goldberg - The Color Purple
Adam Sandler - Spanglish, Reign Over Me, Punch Drunk Love
Eddie Murphy - Dream Girls

Totally agree.
I wish I could remember the one I'm trying to think of but I can't and probably won't. I feel like it was within the past 2 years and people were kind of stunned that he did so well in the movie.

Right, because a Google search is an end all know all....or something....

I would make an argument that Will and Sean's relationship was the absolute center of the movie....I loved that part for sure!!!!

Chick Flick isn't an actual identified category and the movies that qualify can span genres. The Google search does show which movies get lumped together. For some obvious reason, it's lumped together with other movies considered to be chick flicks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom