Chick Flicks you actually like (2 Viewers)

It is my belief that good comedians make good actors. Robin Williams was excellent in One Hour Photo. Jim Carrey and Eternal Sunshine. Bill Burr in Mandalorian. There's a newer instance that I'm failing to recall but if I hired actors for roles in movies I would look to comedians in serious roles.

Jim Carrey was great in Eternal Sunshine, but just as good IMO in Truman Show... Matter of fact, i greatly prefer either of those movies Carrey did over any comedy he’s ever done.

All’s I’m asking for is logic and evidence, not just regurgitating what other people say so ‘it must be correct.’

I did...way back when...

Romantic Comedy eliminates movies that aren't "comedies". Chick flicks are Romantic dramas, comedies, musicals, epics, etc. that appeal to the softer of the sexes, women. Before Sunset isn't a comedy. Terms of Endearment isn't a comedy.

Netflix lists Good Will Hunting as a Romantic drama. And while the drama surrounding the main characters are compelling to men, it is essentially every women's ideal dream guy...bad boy whose a genius but is also drop dead gorgeous. Dang it, the movie ends with every girls fantasy ending with the handsome boy chasing her across the country allowing her to live out her dream and have the man of her dreams! The romance isn't the subplot, it is the plot. The movie centers around the main character learning to let his guard down to be loved by someone more than the goons that would lay down in traffic for him. OMG, it plays to every women's secret hope, that they can trick some unassuming sap into changing his entire life and allowing himself to fall in love with her. Okay, we all love the movie but let's not dilute ourselves into thinking its something other than what it is. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck knew what they were doing when they wrote this, a chick flick with fighting and baseball. Guys walk away thinking they just saw a cool movie, girls enjoying the feeling of a really good love story where love conquers all. Step back a second. Think about it. What really was the subplot? The movie wasn't about him getting into fights, mopping floors, being a genius, or watching baseball. That was all development to tell us about the character of the main character and how he got to be who he was. The progression of the movie was about him getting to place where he could love and be loved. He had personal issues to deal with. He realized that he needed to get over those issues once he met the perfect girl for him. Chick flick.
What else could you identify as the plot of this movie? Getting him a job that utilizes his genius, wrong. Him forgiving his foster dad, wrong. Maybe, it was all about getting him to leave Boston...nope, try again.

I guess I have to add to my rant. Just because a movie has fighting scenes or tangentially talks about sports doesn't disqualify it from being a Chick flick!!!

Jim Carrey was great in Eternal Sunshine, but just as good IMO in Truman Show... Matter of fact, i greatly prefer either of those movies Carrey did over any comedy he’s ever done.

Me, Myself & Irene is Carrey's greatest work...and you know, it's even actually a little bit of a chick flick

1) Any movie where the central premise is "Will they or wont they get together?" - ex: Notting Hill, When Harry Met Sally

See, WHMS is an ACTUAL example of a chick flick .. or I guess the correct term would be romantic comedy, or RomCom... not JM, not GWH, not Die Hard......... some of yall are simply reaching, or in the case of antipop, just trolling..... btw Harry Met Sally is a Top Ten[tm] film of all time, at least for me.. tied with Die Hard.. one is the best RomCom ever made (Annie Hall gives it a run for the money though) and one is the best action film of all time- and no other action flick ever made comes close to Die Hard IMO.. and it succeeds *precisely* becuase it makes us care about the characters so much.. the fact that some want to use that to call it a chick flick is just a head shaker.

GWH falls firmly into #1.

And I'll add another tenet of Chick flicks for GMR, The girl is the driving force behind the male protagonist's growth. That's literally the driving theme behind every scene that features a guy running through an airport, barging into some girl's only event to profess his love, or I don't know...driving across the freaking country. Because of love, he's finally understands.
No, that’s the inverse
That’s just manic pixie dream girl tropes
In Romantic stories (Romantic era) the girl has to die for the man to grow
- that’s the absence of agency

simple equation - does the female fave an arc? Any sort of character development?
If no, it’s not a chick flick

Along Came Polly, seen more times then I know when I was dating my now wife that it grew on me until I liked it. Does 50st Dates count?

No, that’s the inverse
That’s just manic pixie dream girl tropes
In Romantic stories (Romantic era) the girl has to die for the man to grow
- that’s the absence of agency

simple equation - does the female fave an arc? Any sort of character development?
Pixie girl dream tropes can also be part of the discussion.

So I disagree. Ok, what's your take on the movie "About Time" starring Rachel McAdams?

Dead Poets Society has entered the chat.

A very close 2nd....

Me, Myself & Irene is Carrey's greatest work...and you know, it's even actually a little bit of a chick flick

I'm in the minority a lot, and here I am again. Not a Jim Carrey fan, never thought he was that funny....or a good actor....

Nailed it!!!!!

But, i do think Live has a point, from a woman's perspective it may be considered a chi fli....

I'm in the minority a lot, and here I am again. Not a Jim Carrey fan, never thought he was that funny....or a good actor....

i don't really care for him either but MM&I is a pretty damn funny movie

A very close 2nd....

Nailed it!!!!!

But, i do think Live has a point, from a woman's perspective it may be considered a chi fli....

Carrey is hilarious imo. But, his acting chops are ok at best. But that's me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom