Chiefs had interest in Peat (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

Been saying it forever on here. Peat is much better than people on here want to admit.
Well relatively speaking people saying he was garbage and probably not realistically he was mediocre, so I'd agree with you there.

We just paid him as if he's a perennial Pro Bowler. He only had 1 Pro Bowl worthy season, 2018.

A lot of people, myself included, thought we might let Peat walk. I have no problem with having him back, but the contract he just got is shocking. Makes me wonder if it was a knee-jerk to keep him at all costs. I almost think the Chiefs should have had him vs the price we paid to keep him. He's an okay player, with his versatility adding to his value, but we just paid him like one of the best. We may potentially lose another good player because of this, and I think that's what is most concerning.

Well relatively speaking people saying he was garbage and probably not realistically he was mediocre, so I'd agree with you there.

We just paid him as if he's a perennial Pro Bowler. He only had 1 Pro Bowl worthy season, 2018.
Actually, he's at or around the average cash being thrown at FA tackles in 2020.

I'll even give myself some credit for saying, back when the team picked up his fifth year option, that $9m wouldn't look so bad compared to the free agent market for tackles.

But he's far from perfect and this may be another case of having to pay for what you can get.

Maybe... maybe... the Saints are looking at this with a bit of a long-view.

Peat is a very solid run blocker... when he’s “on” he’s a downright mauler. Where he struggles is with his inconsistency as a pass protector.

Maybe the Saints kept Peat around for Taysom? If/when Taysom takes over the offense in 2021, the Saints will almost assuredly move to a more run heavy approach, and that suits Peat.

In the meantime, they keep continuity along the OL for Brees’ last ride. It’s not as if the Saints OL sucked with Peat. They were considered among the very best in the NFL in fact.

A lot of people, myself included, thought we might let Peat walk. I have no problem with having him back, but the contract he just got is shocking. Makes me wonder if it was a knee-jerk to keep him at all costs. I almost think the Chiefs should have had him vs the price we paid to keep him. He's an okay player, with his versatility adding to his value, but we just paid him like one of the best. We may potentially lose another good player because of this, and I think that's what is most concerning.
This isn’t for us to be concerned about. Our staff pretty much knows who they can keep or not. I don’t think they are doing this blindly. Like, oh no, now we can’t sign ...

This isn’t for us to be concerned about. Our staff pretty much knows who they can keep or not. I don’t think they are doing this blindly. Like, oh no, now we can’t sign ...

It’s a reality that a team has x amount of money to spread to an entire roster. We’ve been forced to let good players walk over the years because we couldn’t afford them. That’s because we devoted much money to key players that were tops at their position. Yes, when a team devoted heavily to a certain player, they understand it may prevent or affect future signings. All I’m saying is that I’m surprised they invested this much in Peat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom