Chiefs likely to move on without Nick Foles (1 Viewer)

Can we afford him along with the defense that we are trying to rebuild?

Really good point. And if SP and Loomis jobs are on the line in 2017 if they don't deliver a playoff team, which is a real possibility, I doubt Loomis or SP will spend money or picks on anybody they don't believe can contribute in 2017.

If his salary is the same or less than McCown then yes absolutely. Could be a great stop gap after Brees.. I'm sure he'll be in contact with many teams. It's up to him whether he wants to put his nose to the grindstone and try to develop and earn his stripes behind Brees or if he thinks he's ready to secure a starting job now.

I like Foles but would rather get Garoppolo if we could pry him away from the Pats...

Didn't that garoppolo fella only start 2 games? In hush career would that be like a Brock osweiller thing

Price tag is too high for Garoppolo.

Foles would be a great backup to Drew for a year or two. Learn from his idol.

He's about the same age we got Drew in 2006.

Report: Chiefs likely to move on without Nick Foles | ProFootballTalk

Here's a set of tires I wouldn't mind if we kicked.
It is a little disturbing that he gets kicked to the curb so often though. Coincidence?

I'd pass on Foles. If we're looking at FA QBs, I'd rather see us go after Mike Glennon. If there's a true sleeper at QB, i think its him. I remember him looking pretty good in most of the games he played that 1 season. He just never got a chance to develop when the new regime took over. I remember Glennon being ballsy as hell, with a cannon for an arm. There was something very Joe Flacco about him. Plus, i recall Sean Payton giving Glennon some love in an interview, even admitting we considered drafting him the year he came out. Glennon is a gunslinger in the mold of Flacco & Big Ben. I'd take him in our O, over Foles all day. Foles had 1 great year and reality showed up. I think he makes horrible descisions & panics at the mere thought of pressure. 2 of the most horrible traits to have as a QB. I think an arm talent like Mike Glennon, w/Payton, Carmichael, & Drew in his ear, could develop into something special.

Foles really hasn't been a "quarterback system" since Philly. A year with Jeff Fisher and the Rams and though Andy Reid is a QB guy, KC doesn't really run that kind of offense.

But Foles threw 55 attempts last year, completing 36 of them (65.5%) with 3 TDs and no picks.

Not bad in limited action. His price tag is a question.

Yeah, he might be in contention for a starter job or to push someone.. like in Chicago, Cleveland, SF, etc. Otherwise, if there are no takers, not a bad backup situation to get into. Might even help rebuild his resume to get a bigger contract down the road.

Both Foles and Glennon would be solid pick ups as back up QBs that would have to understand Brees is still the man. Meaning their contracts would have to reflect their position and that would take humility and patience.

Both have the ability to go to QB needy teams and be starters, never mind the volatility associated with the perspective team.

Teams like the Browns, Jets, 49ers, Cardinals (they are looking for Palmer's replacement, and possibly the Bills (did I forget anyone?) could all use their abilities particularly if the young QBs in the draft don't impress them much during the next couple of months.

Add Garoppolo (if the Patriots decide to trade him) into the mix and there are a lot of needy teams who are going to be desperate to find a QB. Even if it is a stop gap.

Both Glennon or Foles would have to be willing to look long term knowing that they are coming here to hold the board as a back up until Brees and the team decide to part ways.

If the Saints actually field a middling defense this team should be able to get to the playoffs giving Payton security and providing either a long term outlook for the team and a future process for the QB transition. It's all out the window if the team doesn't make the playoffs and thus makes it a gamble.

But, most will probably settle for the short-term win for the chance to start now and the money rather than the long-term gamble that has the potential to have a larger payout. Some of the coaches that are on thin ice with QB needy teams like the Jets will likely overpay.

Glennon would be my selection as a back-up to Brees and heir apparent if I were GM for a day over Foles, although if Foles was the 'left over' I wouldn't scoff at the idea either.

Who would you prefer? Glennon or McNown? Foles or McNown?

I mentioned Nick Foles as being the heir apparent to Drew a while back and I got flamed pretty good for saying it. I'm happy to see more people getting on board with this idea. One of my buddies is a huge Eagles fan and he's still upset over them parting ways with him. I'm not saying he would be the second coming of Drew, but he would certainly thrive in CSP system. Yeah, please make it happen Mickey!

Lots of chatter about price tag on this thread, so here's some numbers.

Foles signed with the Chiefs before last season, it was a 2-year deal worth $12.5M, but it was clearly a one-year backup deal ($1.75M) with an option for the team to keep him for pre-determined starter money ($10.75M the second year) if he ended up starting. With Smith continuing to be the guy in KC, there's no way they keep Foles under that contract. He will be a free agent.

But he didn't really do enough to justify a different market. He is now far enough away from his starting time to keep any GM from taking a flyer on him with starter money. So he can probably be had for something in the $2M (or less) range.

Glennon cost the Bucs $1.8M last year, his highest pay in four years and the first time he got above $1M. Luke McCown will be in the second/last year of his deal, set to earn $1.75M. Dead cap is $250K.

I think they're all roughly comparable in price tag. McCown's cost for 2017 is known, $1.75M - which is what Foles and Glennon earned last year and both are now free agents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom