Poll Children Addressing Adults (1 Viewer)

Children Addressing Adults

• First Name Okay (always, or depends on the child and context)

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Mr. or Miss First Name Okay (Miss Sally or Mr. David)

Votes: 47 74.6%
  • Mr. or Miss Last Name always or there's going to be a problem

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
Wow, you guys are still so formal in the US. Nobody would even dream of going around calling people Mr and Mrs last name here in Sweden. That's something you did 60 years ago. Even the elderly, teachers and doctors are usually referred to by their first name here. Also some people here also can be offended if you take a too formal, some would say polite, tone when talking to them.

one of the nastiest looks I got was from a middle-aged cashier at a grocery store when I first moved here. Another was a variation of the same look from the teller at the bank, about the same age as the cashier.

They're Canadian, so, too polite to say anything.

They've just perfected a glare. My wife has definitely learned it.

Anyhow, no more 'ma'am' or 'sir' unless they are a lot younger than me, because anyone older than that might bristle.

During my time working at Universal Studios I always responded to guest at the park as ma'am and sir.
My co-workers ( most have moved down from the north) knew I was from Ms.
Once had a guy from New York tell me he wished he was from the south because we all had such good manners. I just laughed and told him he did not have to be from the south to have good manners.

I personally wouldn't be offended. My nieces and nephew call me by name but my co-workers kids put a Ms. before it. Either way is fine!

Growing up, I didn't address my parents with Sir or Ma'am when they called me or when I answered. They were fine with "Yes?" when called and "Yes" or "No" when answering. I would use Aunt & Uncle with their first name when addressing them and I just called my grandparents Grandma and Grandpa. I called my teachers Mr., Mrs., Ms., or Dr. and their last name. However, I was allowed to call adult family friends by their first name.

I dated a guy from Louisiana years ago (the reason I became a Saints fan) and he addressed everyone with Mr., Mrs., or Ms. and always said Sir or Ma'am even when they said not to. That was the first time I'd ever witnessed that!

I dated a guy from Louisiana years ago (the reason I became a Saints fan) and he addressed everyone with Mr., Mrs., or Ms. and always said Sir or Ma'am even when they said not to. That was the first time I'd ever witnessed that!

Lol. I've been with my employer for 15+ years and I always respond to everybody here with Sir or Ma'am whenever they ask me questions or just saying Hi. One of the part owners of the company would always jokingly tell me "It's Sal, not Sir." I would always laugh. It was just so second nature to me, I could never change it. He tried for years to change what I called him, always telling me the same thing. Eventually he just gave in.

I don't really think it matters what you call people, as long as they know you're not being rude or trying to diminish them in some way. Although, I do prefer that if a young random person comes up to me to ask me a question, that he call me "Sir" or say something like "Excuse Me", rather than say some like "Hey, man." It just feels disrespectful to refer to somebody you don't know as if they are a buddy of yours, especially if you're younger than they are.

i grew up to the taste of tabasco if i didn’t address an elder as ma’am or sir, did not say please or thank you, leave my hat on inside a house, etc. also, fork you military school.

My step kids were calling me Mr Kevin. I put a stop to that. Thought just first name was fine. Growing up in New Jersey, if my dad called for me. I’d say “yeah?” Or “what?” At 11 years old I moved to Louisiana. Teacher called my name... I said “yeah?” The whole classroom of kids stared at me like I lost my mind. I quickly learned the yeas ma’am and yes sir. Now granted both my parents were from Louisiana. But when we were all together. The correct reply was always yeah or what. Having lived in Louisiana for the last 40+ years. My own kids learned to be polite and respond yes ma’am and yes sir etc when addressing others. Which they learned by my example. But amongst ourselves it was never necessary. Anyone starts calling me Mr. just throws me off
I've always been a "Yeah?/What?" guy. Still am

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom